This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#264920 by Deadguitars
Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 am
Starts about a hour before the gig and culminates w a vomit session about 10 mins before we hit it
Bandmates have pretty much accepted this
:roll:
Cant really drink or party till after the barfing
Once I get it out of my system ( yuk Yuk ) I'm fine
Anyone else have a similar story or is this just me ?
#264934 by schmedidiah
Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:58 am
I had stage fright in high school for the one year I performed. Marching band, concert band, jazz band, some ensemble stuff. It got better over the course of the year. I haven't gigged since. Only played my wedding party 7 years ago. I think I would be better now that I'm proficient on my instrument, I'm constantly working on my improv skills and have advanced light years in my songwriting. Plus, I'm not a dorky teen anymore and don't tend to care what other people think. But who knows?
#264935 by Jookeyman
Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:01 am
Tom-
I think there are several things you can do here.
First off- you're not alone. Believe me, plenty of performers suffer from anxiety of some kind or another. That's a good place to start. Just knowing you are not alone will help. A lot of people self-medicate which is something I don't adhere to. I want to be on top of my game, so no drugs, no alcohol. I get dingy enough digging the vibe. :lol:

Anxiety is a physiological state brought on by psychological state. IOW- it's triggered by something ingrained in your thought. I've studied psychology for years and I've learned a few things about this. A few tips-

1. Don't think about the performance. That's what rehearsal is all about. Iron out problems in rehearsal so they don't pop up during performance. If they do pop up in performance, improvise and make a mental note to address the problem @ the next rehearsal.

2. Don't expect perfection. Do the best you can but realize that we are all human. We all make mistakes. We all fail from time to time but we work through it. Yes, you strive to do your best but don't let a mistake blow your mind. It happens to everyone.

3. Get to the gig early and chill. Work on things that could become problems to take your mind off the gig. This is a good time to meditate.

Just remember that the physical symptoms are a by-product of a mental state. Get the mental state in tune and the body will follow. If it's a BIG problem, talk to a doctor.
#264991 by Deadguitars
Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:55 pm
Yeah its weird
Only started a few years ago too
I dont think I obsess over anything too much - we are a Dead band so a lil rough around the edges is par for the course
:D

Def in my head
#264996 by Jookeyman
Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm
We're getting off into a very deep subject that oftentimes has no definitive answers.
The mental health club (AMA) doesn't even have a handle on it and I believe they are doing more harm than good. Every drug they administer has 259 possible side effects (including sudden death and suicide) and the pharma companies are making huge profits pushing their products. It's all on public record. Google up one of their annual financial disclosures and check 'em out. They're as bad as the insurance and oil companies.

Buy stock!!! :D
#265010 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 pm
Dead band? Well obviously you have to start getting ready around 4:20 ..... :mrgreen:
#265016 by Jookeyman
Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 pm
C'mon Mike-
I like to set up and do sound check around 3:00-4:00. Then I catch a cat nap for an hour, wake up and shower. That way I'm not feeling fatigued. Full of piss and vinegar!!
#265029 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:28 pm
Jookeyman wrote:C'mon Mike-
I like to set up and do sound check around 3:00-4:00. Then I catch a cat nap for an hour, wake up and shower. That way I'm not feeling fatigued. Full of piss and vinegar!!

Jook - look up the 'hidden meaning' of "420"!
#265040 by Jookeyman
Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Jook - look up the 'hidden meaning' of "420"!

Ah!! Some West Coast colloquialism, I see. Wasn't common 'lingo' around here back in the day.
It's like Robert Planet sings- "Been a long time, been a long time...................... " :lol:

I know all about 714!!! But I digress. Long, long time ago.
#267742 by robert1160978
Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:21 am
Good Question ... This is normal & don't let anyone tell you its not !!.. trust me it will pass...back when I had issues with anxieties/ fear/stage fright/ I would write down a 1-10 what If's & answer them honestly ..but remember you are there to entertain as best as you can & it is not about you its about those folks that want you to make them feel better about life so if you think about this you will find a mind set to help your thinking... like a doctor to a patient or a chef to his hungry customers you have a job to do & if you bomb on a few notes just move along & hit that distortion peddle & change it up ? trust me it works every time & if it doesn't then its time for a drum roll & a beer but like the man said in his post above drugs will only cover this issue & will come back & haunt you ..I also should mention that a mirror down by the monitor but out of site to your audience is vary helpful tool not sure how this works but for some reason it builds confidence & can find that booger in your nose before someone has to point it out..LOL sorry I always have to bring this up so you can learn to laugh at yourself . hope this post helps you & for gods sake communicate with your audience make them sing along kiss them if you have to & remember they paid to be entertained not to look at you as a solo rock star but if you do rock there world you will have a whole new set of anxieties called fans.
#275952 by fingers002
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm
Regrets, joining this topic late - observations. In college I had a roomate that stuttered. His major was Communication and Theatre Arts! Among performing on the theatre stage he was on college radio station as an announcer! Seems . . . . he becomes someone ELSE when performing! Ever see movei "The Kings Speach"! Check it out. Lastly, I also had anxiety as a young teenager . . . but when on-stage with a GROUP, I was fine. Now performing SOLO at "open mic" nights, yeah I'd also get nervous - and with confidence and talent I can be okay for 3 short songs. I age 63 now, and a few days before a gig, I start getting excited (in good way). Practice, practice, practice builds confidence. Take care and my motto . . . . I N S I S T O N L I V E M U S I C