This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#238117 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:48 pm
Was hired to do music for a large tour group going to Israel for 10 days...whew...it's over.

They left tonight but I've got 3 days off in Tel Aviv before my Polish/Israeli band meets in Jerusalem this weekend for some more recording.

So I found a great room right on the Mediterranean Sea for $54 a night and there is a (blues) jam session at Mike's Place every weeknight. This ought to be fun if I can stay awake that late. Been passing out by 8 PM every night lately...waking up too early for the tour group. Oy.

One beer might do me in!?

It starts at 11 PM and thats only an hour away now....but it is in a very dangerous place...right next to the American Embassy! LOL
#238148 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:18 pm
It was an impressive group of about 15-20 players, not a bad player in the bunch.

Well, there were a couple of girls who didn't know the words to the songs they wanted to sing...but they were "exciting" to look at anyway.

There were 6 different drummers and all of them keepers. A couple of them were really stellar, same with guitarists. What was interesting was how many people were multi-instrumentalists. There were several who played on the drums, guitar, and bass...some even sang.

Really had a great time with these guys. They were cool about rotating players and there were no egos onstage. You could tell that all of them probably jam together regularly.

But what was most surprising was how much TEXAS music they played. Lots of ZZ Top, Stevie Ray, Freddie King. Almost everything else was southern rock. So when I got up to sing with them it was almost like going home. Once they found out I was from Texas, they didn't let me sit down. That's the most fun I've had at a jam session in years. Got invited to another one this Thursday.
#238158 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:25 pm
Sounds like fun!
#238163 by schmedidiah
Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:16 pm
Shhh! Don't let the lamestream media know about this amazing Isreali-Southern Rock connection! :P
That sounds like a blast. I need to try that.
#238166 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:58 pm
Blues seems to be very big here in Tel Aviv. I see signs/posters about blues jams and blues bands everywhere when I'm walking around.

Of course dance music is king here, but blues seems to be quite popular. Several choices of where to go jam tonight.

Wish I could find a city like this in America!?

:lol:
#238189 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 am
Dang, y'all....I'm not kidding.

Tel Aviv might be the coolest blues & rock scene left in the world. And they aren't stiff about it, or scared to jam with strangers. I was able to sing with a couple of different bands in a couple of different clubs around the city this week.

DEFINITELY GO TO MIKE'S PLACE ON TUESDAYS and meet Dror and Ofer.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
#239044 by Cajundaddy
Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:16 am
Hey Ted, I will be there in May. You? I could be down for some TX Blues on the other side of the planet.
#240131 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm
Landed back in the States yesterday from another 2+ weeks in Israel.

Some of you may remember me posting about my trip to Poland in August 2013, where I wandered into a karaoke bar in Warsaw, and the DJ was a guitarist that played with his band on weekends, but made more money playing guitar to singers at his karaoke gig on weeknights.

I admitted to being a bit surprised by how many on this forum hated that guy for being brilliant enough to make a living playing his guitar every night of the week by giving the audience what they wanted. Like I said back then, obviously few here seem to understand what it takes to make a decent living as a musician....but I digress.

On that same trip I met a Polish superstar that was working with a big time producer in Hollywood, and it changed my life to join his American street team and work with him on visits to the USA for recordings and concerts. That led to meeting his Producer and then his pianist, who both offered to produce something new for me. This led to an idea I call "Cultural Xchange Series" with 3 E.P.s produced on 3 different continents (Europe, N America, Asia) with Warsaw Sessions, Hollywood Sessions, and now the release of Jerusalem Sessions.

I mentioned my Polish band in the past, but there is also an Israeli band that played on 2 of those 3 disks, and I was able to perform with them in Jerusalem last Sunday night for the release party for Jerusalem Sessions.

That concert was recorded in 360VR but is not yet edited, and frankly, you don't own the technology to watch it yet, so let me introduce you to my co-producer/guitarist Jamie Hilsden and the Israeli band, "M'Dor l'Dor" (Generation to Generation) that I play with in Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MtEaHhI7-j
#240134 by Badstrat
Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:29 pm
Congrats! That is great news.

I hope everything really works out for you. :)
#240179 by Planetguy
Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:47 pm
Ted, sounds like everything IS working out for you. good show, old chap! Great that you're travelling the world and getting to play your music w folks you obviously enjoy. That said...i don't envy you the travelling!

I hope that video comes avail sometime down the road....i'd love to check it out. Tally Ho!
#240201 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:20 pm
Thanks, I appreciate that Mark, and there is something I've been meaning to tell you.

My Polish friend, Mietek, has recently recorded 2 unbelievably fantastic jazz albums.

One of the greatest pianists in all of Poland put together a 3-piece (piano, upright, drums) with Mietek and they did a bunch of 60s covers that, frankly, I couldn't recognize until the vocals came in.

And the other is a bossanova record with a Brazilian jazz artist in Chicago.

You're gonna absolutely love both...will be sure to post some of it when it is released.
#240238 by Planetguy
Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:38 pm
looking fwd to that, ted. i'm a sucker for bossa nova, samba, anything brazilian. and it doesn't hurt that portugese has got to be the sexiest language ever! :wink: