This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#235939 by LoriJean
Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 am
I'm actually touring in my living room with an online producer. I don't know how I feel about it but I haven't had any other leads. I'm a bit uncomfortable about the sound quality I am giving out and the fact you can only see half my body sitting down into the webcam of my laptop. Please let me know if you all have ever done this and successfully. This may be my monthly venue. They charge to...(not a lot) to the listeners, just what they want to pay, $1 at least.
:oops:
#235954 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:00 pm
I'd suggest you upgrade to an external camera and decent mic/interface to improvie picture and sound.
Does this cost you anything to do? As any live 'internet stream concert' goes - who will pay to watch/listen, and how is it promoted to get more people (or do you do all that yourself)? We've had a few people come here trying to 'sell' that scheme, it usually costs the 'promoter' (you) a fair amount of money for the online time.
#236002 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:24 pm
90 dB wrote:http://www.streetjelly.com/

Interesting. Don't imagine there are a lot of payouts to the artists - looks like you would need a minimum of 313 'tokens' given to you before you got your first $50 payout. But it is a place to free-stream (except for the ads) your music shows.
#236611 by DainNobody
Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 pm
Mike, could yopu give me an estimate on the amount of data this would eat up say, in 2 hours? .. to tour from the living room is a money maker, if you can get any audience.. reason I ask is I'm on dial-up, but if and when I go to the 15 gigabyte card deal using wi-fi hotspot technology, would it be profitable by the time you get the necessary tools purchased to delight the masses with highly desirable music entertainment.. :)
#236613 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:10 pm
I don't think this will work until you've built up a following of people who would stop what they're doing and go sit in front of a computer.

A YouTube channel is probably the best way to start. You can video one song at a time and put them up. The "secret" to a successful YouTube channel (besides having something worth watching) is consistency and longevity. You have to be producing and engaging fans almost constantly to get any traction. Even then, it will still be built slowly and over time. At some point, it starts to multiply exponentially and then you might be able to sell a live performance online.

Basically musicians have the opportunity to produce a "TV show" of their art nowadays, if they have the charisma to keep an audiences attention.
#236618 by DainNobody
Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:04 pm
I agree with you yod about the youtube is the way to go starting out.. but there is no way, if and when, I convert to "high speed" internet that I will ever be able to get UNLIMITED data at a set monthly rate.. I am aware a 10 minute 'entertainment video" can eat up a lot of bandwidth, and could not allot a lot of hard earned money to "entertainment purposes".. but the only way I will ever be able to share recordings would be with wireless, can't upload them on dial-up they break apart before they are fully uploaded, especially since they cheapened the dial up service relative to what it was like 10 years ago ... at least on the network I use..
#236631 by schmedidiah
Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:37 am
yod wrote:Do you ride a horse to work?

Hay! That's not funny! :lol:
#236682 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:37 pm
I have no idea what bandwidth is needed for live video broadcasts, but would think that any broadband service woudl be enough (although I wouldn't use wireless, wired only for surety of signal strength). Problem with most of the broadband services these days is "sharing". Optimal speed is based on how much bandwidth people in your area/neighborhood/trunkline are using at the same time. I have 15/5 service, but often my speeds are 10/3 or worse, during peak times.

As Yod says, there's not enough money in it unless you have a big following willing to pay. Yahoo is doing free broadcasts these days of some pretty big artists - just to attract people to their advertisements.