This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#233217 by RTYD
Mon May 05, 2014 6:04 pm
I'd like to chat with musicians who have toured at some point in their career. Specifically, I'd like to talk about what bands do when they have a day or 2 off in between shows. Do you sleep in the van... find a cheap hotel to hang... stay with some distant relative?

The reason I ask is this.

A group of older musicians and artist (many avid Little Feat followers) are hoping to build small non-profit co-housing (think modern communes) communities across the country and one of the things we'd like to be able to do is to offer free accommodations and meals to touring bands who need a place to hang for a day or 2 in between gigs. All we'd be asking is that these talented traveling minstrels would be kind enough to jam with some of the community members, rehearse those new songs, or maybe do a show during their stay... maybe even make some extra cash (gonna have a real cool tip jar).

I've talked with several young touring bands who all loved the idea. They all saw the concept as a win win for both the bands and the communities. The bands get a homelike setting to hang with their cool surrogate parents/grandparents and the community gets the opportunity to catch some very talented acts before they become superstars.

If you'd be kind enough to private message me, I'd love to get your take on the idea. Oh yeah, our website is RTYD.org

Thanks
#235288 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:25 pm
When I get a couple days off, I usually try to find a place of nature, beauty, or history to go hiking or photography. I carry a tent and if the weather is cool, I'll set it up.

If I'm in a metro area, I look for open mics or jam sessions....stay in a hotel. Its rare that I stay with someone, but it happens.

Going to play an old folks home in exchange for a room there doesn't sound like fun to me....but that's a noble thing to do and I wish you success.