This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#112522 by Krul
Wed May 26, 2010 6:20 am
I've been in a lot of bands, but never got the chance to get out of my state to play. The members in my band just didn't really give a damn I guess. Could have been some fear there too, like fear of losing a bus boy job. :roll:

Anyways, for future reference, what are some unexpected things I should prepare for? The good and the bad? Things to bring that most musicians wouldn't think of taking...but are useful? Enquiring mind might need to know. :wink:

I know what these books tell you are just a tip of the iceberg.

#138798 by fisherman bob
Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:28 am
Do you expect to be touring soon?

#138799 by Krul
Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 am
Well, I was hoping I would have the opportunity within the next two years. Even a two week stint would be cool. I've never done it, and I'm really curious. Just an average road trip won't do...I want to play some shows along the way. I'm not worried as to how it would turn out...just want to do that in this lifetime.

#138803 by fisherman bob
Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:36 am
I don't have the wherewithall to tour. Been offered a few possible touring positions, turned them down. If you're footloose and fancy free and you get that opportunity you should take it. As far as advice get as much comfortable sleep as possible (if it's possible), eat nutritious foods (if possible) and stay away from the drugs and alcohol (if it's possible). Knowing some advanced martial arts isn't a bad idea either. I've done a few gigs out of town and had an ugly incident one time. Fortunately people tend to leave me alone but if they don't it's good to know how to end the incident quick. And always make sure all contractual agreements are checked out thoroughly by YOUR attorney of choice. You want to make sure that the people hiring you know that you expect their obligations to be fulfilled once you perform your end of the agreement. Make sure your band members are honest, reliable people. Good luck if it ever happens...

#138811 by Krul
Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:14 am
The one re-occuring thought I keep having are about small town cops, and redneck highway patrol. I've heard some stories about these guys just being big time knuckleheads to touring bands, i.e. pulling them over and searching their automobiles, arresting them for small stuff, getting in their face...etc. It worries me at times, because cops haven't always been the most polite people in the world to me either, and I don't have a criminal record. Seems like they would like to get all high and mighty just because I don't have the appearance their mother would approve of.

As far as self-defense goes, well, I've given that some thought. I'm glad you brought that up. I was thinking that if I did go on tour, that it would be a good idea to bring a couple of people along who may have the ability to fight better than me. Kind of like some security/roadcrew/assistant driver. But who would do that for even small-time pay?

#138832 by gbheil
Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm
Obey the law ... and you won't have issues with the law.

Yeah ... when I had ( long ) hair the police interacted differently to me.
Especially when out of state.

Make sure your transportation is in good condition, properly inspected and insured.

And leave your weed at home if your into that sort of thing.
If you do get stopped, be honest and speak respectfully.

It's pretty simple actually.

#138840 by philbymon
Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:58 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Obey the law ... and you won't have issues with the law..

HAHAHAHAHAA!

Sorry, sans. That seems a bit naive to me, from some of the experiences i've had, even while obeying the laws.

Krul - it ain't all it's cracked up to be. It's a terrible lot of hard-assed work. I had places just shut down on me as I traveled along, even though there were contracts involved. Whatcha gonna do when they're outta biz? Sue 'em? I didn't bother.

Make sure you have plenty of money to cover every possible thing that can go wrong - vehicle prob's, equipment breakdowns...have extra everything - a b/u amp, extra axe, strings out the yin-yang (cuz the guitar player forgot his!), batteries for when your hard-wired stomp pedals don't work right.

The best advice I can give ya would be to check out where you're s'posed to be playiing. Talk to the Chamber of Commerce for every town you go to, & TAKE THEIR ADVICE, on places to play at. They know their town. You don't. Proper planning solves a multitude of problems before they arise. They'll know the road houses to avoid, & if ya talk to them right & proper, they'll clue you in on the bad joints.

#138882 by gbheil
Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 am
philbymon wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:Obey the law ... and you won't have issues with the law..

HAHAHAHAHAA!

Sorry, sans. That seems a bit naive to me, from some of the experiences i've had, even while obeying the laws.

Krul - it ain't all it's cracked up to be. It's a terrible lot of hard-assed work. I had places just shut down on me as I traveled along, even though there were contracts involved. Whatcha gonna do when they're outta biz? Sue 'em? I didn't bother.

Make sure you have plenty of money to cover every possible thing that can go wrong - vehicle prob's, equipment breakdowns...have extra everything - a b/u amp, extra axe, strings out the yin-yang (cuz the guitar player forgot his!), batteries for when your hard-wired stomp pedals don't work right.

The best advice I can give ya would be to check out where you're s'posed to be playiing. Talk to the Chamber of Commerce for every town you go to, & TAKE THEIR ADVICE, on places to play at. They know their town. You don't. Proper planning solves a multitude of problems before they arise. They'll know the road houses to avoid, & if ya talk to them right & proper, they'll clue you in on the bad joints.

Think what you like.
50 years of experience in life, a lot of it working on the road in the oil patch ... seldom leaves a man naive.

#138939 by Krul
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm
I've heard horror stories about the road. Some can take it, and some can't, so they give it up and stay in their region. Some people get restless when they aren't on the road. The reason I think two weeks would be good, is because it would allow me enough time to decide if it really was my thing...and enough time to stay away if the trip was too much.

Going out for a short run would definitely be a good test of tolerance and endurance...to see how much of it I really had! :lol:

#138953 by philbymon
Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 pm
Yeah...& it's a good way to find out if you can stand the ppl you're traveling with, too.

#138956 by gbheil
Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53 am
I think the hardest thing for me would being away from my family.
I have become quite accustomed to smell and feel of my woman at night.

#138984 by Krul
Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 am
Good point Phil! Most of the horror stories I've heard are the result of band members not getting along. Comradrie within a band is one of my biggest concerns in general.

That would be hard George. When I had a woman(wife) that was the thing I looked forward to. Since time has passed I've gotten somewhat used to not having that. I don't have kids. So, it's just little ol me. I think one of the main reasons I'm not looking for any of these things is because I'm trying to get my own life back on track.

I hope that by the time I'm ready to venture out, that everything stays the way it is. But usually, a woman comes along right when things start picking up. It's easy to say that you won't let that happen, but when you're sprung ugly-like, it has a grip.

#139044 by gbheil
Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 am
:lol:

You have the aptitude and the attitude.

You'll do well. :wink:
#142225 by Folk Avery
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm
I haven't ever been on a tour either but I want to. I see your posts are kinda old. have you gotten to tour yet or are you close to?

#142279 by Krul
Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm
I'm very close to having a complete band at this point. I have a killer drummer learning the songs. And there's a few bassist/vocalists that are in the loop. I'll be playing out this spring without a trace of doubt. Not touring, just playing locally, and possibly So Cal.