This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#142291 by Folk Avery
Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 pm
thats cool man i hope it goes good for ya. i listened to your tracks and they're pretty good i especially like the first one. i don't know what effects you're using on the guitar but my old band mate used the same thingand damn that brought back memories lol. how close to the LA area are you?

#142361 by Krul
Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 am
Not using any effects on the guitar. Just a little gain is all. I'm about six hours away from LA.

#146705 by thunder_sticks
Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 am
-fresh socks, just buy the 12packs at Wally world and chuck em after....7pairs a week times 4-5guys of rotten socks waiting for laundry time is RANK in a van no matter how many plastic bags you put them in. We used to put a 12pack of white tube socks on our backstage rider, seriously.

-have stage clothes, air them out while you sleep and keep em in a bag separate from your "town" clothes. It's good to LOOK like the band, makes you easy to find in the crowd.

-get a 12V cooler for the van and go to grocery stores for your food, it's cheaper and healthier. Road food is a sure way to slowly lose energy levels and focus.

-build a "first aid kit" toolbox with batteries, picks, drum keys, spare fuses for EVERTYTHING(check em and make a list). Any other connectors and nuts and bolts that MIGHT break, because they will.

-If you use 6 mic cables and 3 guitar cables carry 12 mic cables and 6 guitar cables, learn to wrap them correctly and their lifespan increases tenfold.

-Have your singer buy his own mic to take, venue mics are a sure way to catch whatever the last guy had. At the very least carry a couple spare screens for shure SM58's, then you can just unscrew the nasty one for your set and replace it later. The SM58 is pretty much the standard club mic, soundmen are used to them. Be prepared for an argument if you try to get him to soundcheck any other brand and model.

-drumsticks, strings and cables are ALWAYS cheaper at your own music store, and triple the price in bumf**k nowhere.

-some sort of drivers club like AAA or something with the super duper long distance towing option, at least you will get to the gig.

-typically the drummer gets the shaft when it comes to monitors, have him get used to not hearing the band well and just playing his part if necessary. You wouldn't believe how many smaller places don't even have a guy that knows HOW to run a monitor mix, much less 2 or more separate ones.

#146860 by Krul
Fri May 20, 2011 3:43 am
Thanks for that! Yeah, I was thinking that some disposable clothes would be a good idea. Socks, definitely socks! Nobody needs that scent going around.

When I used to do vocals I got grossed out by the nasty stench of all the dry man-spit all over them. The soundman wouldn't let me use my own mic either. Wish I would have thought about using a mic cover though! I'll be singing backup later on, so I'm definitely bringing my own mic and some covers just in case. Glad you told me about that idea! Last thing I want is a cold, or worse, cold sores.

That whole list is very helpful! Got any more ides...please post em. I'll be writing this stuff down.

#147208 by rushing
Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 am
Being on the road is the best!! new faces each night,new halls,stages,and it dont matter if its 1 or 100,000 its all good and you give it your all.I have toured in a big fancy tour bus and a broken beat down tore up from the floor up bus and its just all good.Each day has its surprises each stop has it ups and downs each gig has its WOWS and BOOS and thats what makes it sooooo good,you jus dont know whats going to happen :D you cant really plan a tour you jus have the gigs lined up and gooo!!AND TAKE IT ALL IN i miss it and i pray i may be picked up in a band thats going on the road.

#149679 by Krul
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 am
You got a good attitude about it, Rushing. I've heard people complain about the very things you found exciting. I would love to experience the whole unknown adventure of touring. I know there's so much more to life than this little corner of the world I live in.

#149700 by rushing
Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 pm
I have to give God the credit for my attitude,plus the fact i love!!!!!music and how can anything be bad when you are living your dream?? if one finds only the bad and complains then i feel that person needs to get out,it will effect the music and the others in the band.Find a band and live the dream you wont be sorry :D

#206452 by RadioUnfriendly
Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 pm
The biggest thing you'll need on the road is well managed expectations. This come through preparedness and knowing (and agreeing) on why you want to go on tour as a band in the first place.

If you sit down with your band and ask - "why do YOU want to go on tour?" to each member, take careful note of the answers. Money? Chicks? The experience? Exposure? You need to be honest with each other here. No reason is good nor bad, but you guys need to be aligned and agree on the steps needed to satisfy those priorities. This exercise alone may and should lead to conversations about is touring even right for this band.