This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#191325 by Cameron Landers
Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:55 pm
Jonny Deth wrote:I've got the chops, the voice, the talent for writing hooks, the equipment, the looks-I have a brand new sound system for an audience of 10,000.
I should of had drummers fighting one another to record with me but, I'm also a metal musician. Probably the hardest genre to succeed in since it's not that kids crap numetal. Lots of control freaks and childish attitudes in this genre so maybe my perspective is unique to my genre.
I SWEAR every metal musician insists you join THEIR band rather than the other way around. Well, what do you have to offer me other than your services on your chosen instrument?

Generally they're stumped for an answer of substance.

I still don't figure it's a picnic for other genre musicians just the same.

You are quite right. I've gone through so much wheel-spinning to keep my tribute shows whole it's not even funny. Once in a while, you will come upon players who actually get it. Those are the players I try to keep in all of my projects.

But when I lose one (like now, I am short a keyboard player) it's a bitch finding another one that not only has the chops, but is truly the right fit for the project goals.

Either they lie when they say they get your vision, and you find out later, when they start trying to grab the steering wheel, or they have personal issues and you end up taking them to raise like an adopted child...

If you can even find touring class players looking, you're doing damn good. Everybody in every stupid little garage band advertises themselves as a "pro-level" player these days... it's just ridiculous to the point that you might as well just ignore that phrase - it's so blatently misused that it's meaningless.

Oh, and... if you guys know a good keyboard player, I'm looking... :)

Cheers,

-=Cameron
http://www.cameronlanders.com
#191329 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm
THE SUIT and TYree wrote:I am a pro guitarist out of the NY/CT area - I am finding it hard to find musicians that are really FULL-TIME and want to tour. Any suggestions on how to get to those who are really in the business on a full-time pro level?
Thanks,
Tom Forst
www.myspace.com/thomasforst

yes!

Offer to pay them $200 each per gig and all their expenses. You'll have them lining up at the door.

#206395 by RadioUnfriendly
Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 am
That's nuts in NYC, you're having trouble finding guys wanting to tour (assuming you are the band leader and have the means to tour). So many a.) broke musicians and b.) good broke musicians are in the city. You might want to just start going to gigs and networking with the cats you would actually want to take on tour. Slip 'em a biz card, CD, etc. and tell them they're perfect for your upcoming tour. Exchange numbers, keep in touch. Be a dude they want to live in a van with for a month or two. You know what I mean..:lol:

There's a lot of merit to the "spirit crushing" perspectives above, but by the looks and sounds of it, you already have an idea of what you're doing musically. And if you're in a target rich place like NYC and are really having problems, start asking for feedback to see what you could do better to improve your odds. Again, as stated above, funding and management will help get guys on board.

Good luck.