This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#82381 by Tomthesuitforst
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:00 pm
I am a pro guitarist out of the NY/CT area - I am finding it hard to find musicians that are really FULL-TIME and want to tour. Any suggestions on how to get to those who are really in the business on a full-time pro level?
Thanks,
Tom Forst
www.myspace.com/thomasforst

#82465 by gbheil
Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:46 pm
Man, thats a darn good question.
Perhaps through some recording studio contacts?
Being an amiture myself I would think you would have to recruit from already active bands, and or other established professionals.
Takes huevos to risk a jump like that.
Old guys mortgaged out the wazoo with teenage kids to feed wont generally make a jump like that. If they are sane.
Heck, I'd have to sneek off, er my ol lady'd pop a cap in my butt. :lol:

Best of luck though.

#82654 by Starfish Scott
Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:02 pm
Gotta have music people want to hear full time..that's really the issue.

And realistically speaking, I don't think many people just go and FULL TIME tour. You have to put in the hours before you even get close to that point, unless you are part of the support.

#82667 by Prevost82
Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 pm
I go talk to a highend recording studio and they will be in the know on who is out there.

In every major center there are a number of musicians that are studio musicians and support players for artist tours. Where I am, in a 2 mil pop, there maybe 2 dozen players that get all the work ...

Expect to pay 150 to 250 for each player per show, plus food and lodging for someone that has a petigree.

#82679 by gbheil
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:29 pm
24 out of 2 mil ? Whoa, theres some odds for ya.
$250 per show + room and board :D How about beer tab?

I have some pedigree, feed it to my dowgs this morning.
Guess I am out of luck. :(

Seriously though, If you are 1 of 24 out of two million people.
Thats got to be some real talented musicians right there.

Prevost? You have a lot of experience right?
Do you do any studio work, like professionally?

#83873 by Kramerguy
Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:08 pm
yes, It's getting to know all the studio guys and making connections through them. networking FTW

#88328 by koolbass
Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:06 am
I play music for a living, but I don't make all of my money touring. I do a lot of touring, but I also work in the studio. I think you would probably need to live where the work is, like an industry town like LA, New York, Nashville, etc., and to get on a tour, you need to know the band leader of an artist. That's not always an easy thing, which is why you'd need to hang out in an industry town.

When a band leader is hiring for a tour, he/she needs to find the best player they know for the job, and also someone who is a good hang on the bus. It's almost like being invited to join a family, so they need someone who fits the band/artist vibe and lifestyle.

The band leader's butt is on the line with mgt., so they will usually hire someone they know, or someone who is known by someone they trust. That's the biggest reason you really need to live in one of the industry towns, so you can do pick up gigs with other road dogs, and become known by them.

And don't move to an industry town until you, your ability, and your equipment are ready to compete at that level, because first impressions last, and people LOVE to talk about the idiot who was on the gig last week that was green and clueless, and then YOUR name will be repeated, if that is you. Don't leave home unless you're ready, and if you're really ready, you'll know it, because you'll probably be the very best musician in your particular puddle. Everyone you'll be competing with to get a gig will have been the big fish in their own hometown puddle, and there's some mighty talented people playing music.

If you're ready, then go for it, don't look back, and good luck...you'll need it!!!

#89524 by philbymon
Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:16 am
In some cases, it still comes down to location location location!

I've tried, & man, it's REALLY hard to make a living playing music in Hedgesville, WV!

#89610 by Starfish Scott
Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:13 pm
I envy those of you that can play any genre..

I tried to play something recently that was complex but not really within my area of expertise.

I had to fake it and choke back the vomit long enough to be able to walk off the stage without letting them know I utterly HATED playing with them.

No, I am staying in my corner of space.. It's pleasantly pleasing and no cheesers, unless you count me. (and if you do, YOU CAN GET THE **** out) lol

Not enough room on the Rocket. Hope you brought your vacc suit. lol

#89839 by Prevost82
Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:20 pm
sanshouheil wrote:24 out of 2 mil ? Whoa, theres some odds for ya.
$250 per show + room and board :D How about beer tab?

Seriously though, If you are 1 of 24 out of two million people.
Thats got to be some real talented musicians right there.

Prevost? You have a lot of experience right?
Do you do any studio work, like professionally?

I do some studio work ... but not a lot.

I mostly do pickup bands (hired gun) live work. Most artists that tour, do pickup bands, an east coast artist wants to get exposure on the west coast, won't bring his band with him it's too expensive ... so he pick up a band on the west coast and does a short tour 1 to 3 weeks.

As Koolbass said .. you have to be known to be a great player, read charts and get the music down in short order, reliable and no drama and last but not lest you have to be able to handle being on the road in a tour bus ... under sometimes not the best conditions and deal with it.

For me 50% of the bands I get pickup up by, never have a rehearsal before the tour. I get a set of charts and download the MP3's that will be done on the tour. I will sometimes get 1 or 2 days to work on the songs (30 to 35) and get them down solid ... I've had as little notice as 4 hrs on a one off show. Usually for a short tour we'll have a short rehearsal on the first sound check and run through parts of song that may have a difficult turnaround or endings, make sure we have a deep groove going, . But basically we hit the ground running and you would never know that we are a pick-up band ... you just have to be that good.

Again as koolbass points out you have to be the best in your area and get out and hit the jam sessions that these players host on their off time (not on the road or in the studio) and be known for what you can do ... and how fast you can pick times up things in a live setting (groove change, playing a song by ear that you've never played before and nailing it, fast recovery from a mistake and make it sound like it wasn't a mistake.

Last ... yes it is 24 out of 2 million people ... it's that low. You may have the chops, but can't listen to 30 songs and read the charts and be ready to go in 6 hrs or 8 hrs ... or you can do all that, but have the personality of a slug, or you may not do the road thing well ... some people can't do it .. they get cranky and that is hell. You may be to showy ... this is about supporting the artist and making him look and sound good ... not you wacking away on your instrument making you look great, but at the same time you have to have a measured stage presents. I've played with most of the 24 guys for 10 to 30 yrs ... we all know each other, so there is not surprises when we get together and that is what the artist is looking for.

Ron
#98857 by Jonny Deth
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 am
http://bandmix.com/tom-fo wrote:I am a pro guitarist out of the NY/CT area - I am finding it hard to find musicians that are really FULL-TIME and want to tour. Any suggestions on how to get to those who are really in the business on a full-time pro level?
Thanks,
Tom Forst

After my struggle to recruit a drummer to help me cut a demo ended in having to offer money to finally get responses I concluded this.

The musicians that have truly dedicated their lives to this being a career and are willing to and have sacrificed exploring a lot of life's detours, move to major cities dude.
I STILL haven't found someone local to work with. No offense but guys with kids, mortgages, addiction, 20 years in the local scene etc. are an impossible sell on me. I've sacrificed an awful lot for my goals in music and believe for my chosen style, it takes the ultimate sacrifice and ability to not settle for less than you've set your heart and mind on.

Bands rarely rise out of anywhere other than a select few major cities-Los Angeles, NYC, Nashville, Torronto. Sure, every state's largest city may have 1 or 2 local acts that rise to commercial success but they're uncommon. Most bands relocate as a group or individuals to a more liquid city.

I've got the chops, the voice, the talent for writing hooks, the equipment, the looks-I have a brand new sound system for an audience of 10,000.
I should of had drummers fighting one another to record with me but, I'm also a metal musician. Probably the hardest genre to succeed in since it's not that kids crap numetal. Lots of control freaks and childish attitudes in this genre so maybe my perspective is unique to my genre.
I SWEAR every metal musician insists you join THEIR band rather than the other way around. Well, what do you have to offer me other than your services on your chosen instrument?

Generally they're stumped for an answer of substance.

I still don't figure it's a picnic for other genre musicians just the same.

#111846 by Phil Romeo
Mon May 17, 2010 8:57 pm
I'd love to do this for a living, full time and travel. Hell, the prospect of mansions and riches beyond that of any man mean very little to me- just let me make a living and travel to places where some people are genuinly waiting to see me. Just gimme' the random fan-videos on youtube that use my songs in the background, and the opportunity to do what I enjoy as a life career.

I'm 22. Is it wonderfully and ironically youthful and naive of me to blame the struggle on my age? Find me some like minded musicians wanting to play my songs and commit around my age; all I've found are kids, and bigger kids wanting to be 'just like- (insert name/band)'.

Since the age of 15 I've played solo with an acoustic in various pubs, trebedeured (spelling?) on the main stage at a large festival (Rhythms of the World '07, Hitchin in Hertfordshire), sung for a jazz band in restaurants, played and sang for various function bands and done the whole local-metalband thing even though I never really liked the screaming. lol. Now I'm playing bass in my mate's death metal band, but really I'm desperate to start my own band playing my own music.

Seriously, 7 years to get around to admitting I want a band to play my own songs, as a singer/songwriter? Any voices of experience wont fall on deaf ears here.

Got a few demo tracks up on my profile, in the form of links to youtube if it helps. It's all entirely off my own back, from composition to production x.x

#116433 by Jims69Camaro
Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm
Phil Romeo wrote:I Any voices of experience wont fall on deaf ears here.

well, i've got the voice of experience. unfortunately, you're not going to like the answer.

the odds are against you. to reach the level of artistic success that you desire is rarely accomplished. even those who have "made it" find fault with their level of success - it not being what they had envisioned in the beginning when they first picked up a guitar or a set of sticks or a mic.

i think you need to sit down and be honest with yourself. are you making music for the right reasons? what level of success, either on a grand scale or in your backyard, is really going to make you happy? once you have that goal in mind you need to dedicate your every waking moment (and there are ways to make technology work for you when you are sleeping) to that goal and be as persistent as you are able. only the inextinguishable fire deep in your soul will be the one to either make you or break you.

putting it simply, you are in charge of your destiny. if you can't play, learn. if you can't sing, learn. learn how to protect yourself in the face of ultimate defeat. if you waver, you will not reach your goal. put yourself into situations where people will learn your name and what you can do. networking is oh so important. then, if you do everything that you can to "make it" and you don't, you won't have any regrets. but you will have to choose this life - and you will make mistakes. learning from other's mistakes isn't a bad idea, but it just doesn't do well in practice - it's a much better theory. get out there, get your name out there. if someone can help you reach your goal, contact them.

now, if your spirit isn't absolutely crushed, why are you still sitting at your computer? get to work.
#120845 by Breaks the fall
Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:46 am
We arent full time,,,,BUT what we have learned so far is....you have to know people. You HAVE to put your ass on the line and perform GREAT shows to get a following. You can't just put some material up on the internet and expect to be famous. If you location isn't the greatest....travel a little ways to get to a decent place. Play some free shows if you have to. Get a Demo CD to hand out to every bar owner you know. And of course you have to be talented. We just played a bunch of shows at the Sturgis rally last week. We played like our asses were on the line. It was at the Monkey Rock USA....or The Rock n Rev festival. Stage presence what we have learned playes a HUGE roll in a crowds reaction......put yourself on the line....headbang, jump all over the place...act a fool........If your a frontman YOU HAVE TO INTERACT WITH THE CROWD. Check out our page we have a bunch of youtube videos from previous shows....including the Monkey Rock show. I promise what i have said will help you out!!! We got contact information from a guy who works with major label bands from the monkey rock show. We also were invited to go to California and play one of our originals on the jimmy kemmel tonight show........WHY???? Because we took a risk.....We put ourselves on the line, jumped around like idiots, we played until our fingers bled, we sang until we could barely speak, and most important WE WERE EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE OF EVERYONE WHO SAID WE KICKED ASS!!!!!!!! Being nice to someone goes a loooonnng wayys
#147412 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm
Tom Forst aka THE SUIT wrote:I am a pro guitarist out of the NY/CT area - I am finding it hard to find musicians that are really FULL-TIME and want to tour. Any suggestions on how to get to those who are really in the business on a full-time pro level?
Thanks,
Tom Forst

I'd go find a booking or two, then go to the music store and just hang out all day until I find people who want to do the gigs. The employees usually know who is any good and/or you can audition them right there on store gear.

Maybe you could find people that are actually worth the money they want, and go part-time until a better situation presents itself?