This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#46224 by csb1987
Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:35 pm
Im looking to buy a new bass amp for rehersal and gigging....but not spend a massive amount of money, ive seen the Peavey max 115 combo on sale for a very reasonable price but i was just wondering if anyone could give me any reviews of it, if its any good etc??

Thanks!!

#46251 by gbheil
Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:52 am
Dont buy a combo if you ever intend to grow n go.
I know I am going to get blasted for this butt.
If I could get back all the money I've spent on combo amps back I would buy myself a good head with multiple channels (does no necessarly apply to bass) and switchable power levels say 50 - 100 amps, switchable ohm output, effects loop, and an assortment of darn good speakers that could be used together or in a smaller set

#46343 by Bass4worship
Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:53 am
Try to find a good bass head. Then you can get a 2/10 cab for pactice and small gigs and a 4/10 or larger for the big gigs. :D
#47321 by busey jazz bass
Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:19 pm
first what type of music i have always used hartke i have a 3500 head and a 4.5 xl cab which i can practice and play live and it wont break the bank and i can always add another 4.5 cab
#272866 by melvina1181849
Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:24 am
Great discussion is going on writing essay website. I enjoy reading that interesting discussion about music. Actually, I’m a guitarist of level 3 and hope will be promoted to level 4 soon wish me luck. My teacher is so nice and he having great skills to play. I will share my gaiter playing video next time hope you will like it.a
#281477 by aiki_mcr
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 am
Well, I used to be one of those "don't get a combo" guys as well.

I've really changed my tune.

I love the newer GK combo amps. They sound great, work well in any venue I'm likely to play, have a solid DI and can support a powered extension cabinet if I really needed that. Also, they weigh so little. I like the not having heavy equipment to lug around.

But I'm not likely to need it.

Because so many bands and venues have a bi-amp PA now. If the PA is bi-amped, it makes much more sense to use the DI from my amp to go direct to the PA and just use the amp as a backline.
#281508 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 pm
My band is fairly low volume, we're "mostly acoustic". I picked up a used Fender Rumble 75 for gigs, way more volume than I'll ever need and it's not godawful large or heavy. For practices, I just a little Kustom amp, but the 6" speaker of course has no low end punch at all.
#281519 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:00 pm
did someone say "combo"?

combos rule!

big fan of an ASHDOWN Blue 180 here. 180 Watts w one 12" spkr. Cost me $320 new about 10 yrs ago...played 100's of gigs w it since. Never a problem and it's never broke a sweat. It's a GREAT sounding amp that comes in around 50 lbs. It has one of the best DI's out in da biz. i love a good stout 12" (yeah, i know..that's what SHE said!)....you've got great definition w/o having to use a horn/tweeter and it handles a low B string just fine.

here's what it sounds like in action... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiYEFNijKto&t=158s

oh yeah, and on another "bass playing gig" in my bluegrass band where i'm using my upright w a magnetic pickup.... i mostly use my ROLAND Cube 60. 60 watts thru a 12" with great defintion and enough bottom end to get it done.

When that's not enough HP to get it done...well, that's what the PA is for. 8)