This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#28992 by Starfish Scott
Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:07 am
I just got my hands on a damn near mint Yamaha EMX-300, 250 watts per channel at 8 ohms.

I think it's suppose to get (2) Yamaha S250x, but they are not easy to get and older than dirt as well.

I think they are 2-12's and a horn per stage monitor.

What I'd like is a really great suggestion to use in the place of the s250x's, 8 ohm at 250 watts, full range.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

I can't wait to ditch my Kustom 200 Watt PA with (2) 5 speaker columns (16 ohm). I am moving out of the 60's and into 1983, well at least equipment wise.

#29018 by Paleopete
Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:56 pm
You're talking monitors here? That's what the comment about "per stage monitor" makes me think anyway...I have little experience with anything but mostly Peavey monitors, I like the 15's with no horns best, the horns tend to increase feedback possibilities. Any good brand should work, as long as the impedance is right for the amp.

I'm also looking into the close range monitors, small and a couple of feet from your ear on a stand, and from what I've been told they work great and it's almost impossible to get feedback because they are usually pointed away from the mic instead of sitting under the mic pointed at it. Many also have their own volume control so you can easily adjust to your liking once you get a ballpark setting on the amp. Again impedance is your main consideration, and make sure they can handle the wattage of course.

If you're talking PA, then again I've dealt with mostly Peavey, Spx series usually, they are hard to beat but you'll need a fork lift or a couple of friends with good backs who like a free beer or two...Some of the newer Peavey wedge shaped mains are very good sounding, and not as heavy, but don't get the acrylic boxes, they don't sound near as good as wood boxes. (not enough bass, too much midrange from what I've heard) Some of the Yamaha mains do pretty well, but I've only used them in one band myself, 10 years ago. They sounded very good though and we pushed them with a 400 watt Peavey mixer. Everything I've seen by Behringer looks and feels so much like plastic I quit even looking, I wouldn't trust anything they make going by the quality of their mixers...or lack of it. Nady...maybe, I haven't used any or heard them in use, but the main difference is going to be the box if the speakers inside are good ones. That's the main thing to check, if you see Emminence or EV the speakers should be good, then just check out the quality of the box, power handling and impedance. Some other speakers are good too, those are just the first two PA brands that come to mind other than Peavey's Black Widows. Kustom is back in the game, if their speakers are anywhere near the quality they made in the 60's rolled and pleated era, I'd definitely take a look. I'm running a '67 2x12 cab with my Peavey MX, loaded with 2 Emminence 12s, I love it. Cheryl Crow's band was using all r&p Kustom cabs on the Soundstage video I saw a while back, nothing else on stage at all. I'm not sure if that included PA mains, I'd have to dig it out and check but I think they were. EV is another one to look at, they've always made good stuff.

I'd go with 15s if possible, not for volume level but bass response, both should handle the same volume level. 12s will work, especially if you're only going to be running vocals, but if you mic a whole band or mic a bass drum the 15s will do a much better job.

#29025 by jw123
Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm
Capt I get the impression from other post that you play loud so I would go with something with a 15 inch speaker and a 2 ince horn. I used Peaveys for years with the Black widow speakers and they served well, but this past New Years we blew a couple and the club owner loaned us a couple of EVs with a 15 inch. They sounded a lot better to me than the Peaveys. I would look for a monitor speaker with a metal grill to protect the speakers. The EVs were crisper and cleaner than the Peaveys, now these old Peaveys had been a few miles.

I guess thats what you were asking

#29054 by Starfish Scott
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:25 pm
Yeah see, the Yamaha EMX 300 is a powered mixer. I used one once and I never forgot it. It was warm and responsive. I just kind of filed that in the back of my head for later use.

Lately, I have been using a 200 watt Kustom "old tuck and roll" PA for vocals. I mean, you couldn't really beat it too hard but it was plenty louder than I originally thought. I ran that in mono through 2 Kustom PA cabs that have (5), 16 ohm speakers per cab. (I felt like I could smoke the whole thing at any time)

We do play fairly loud, but mostly only the equipment signal. I really like the vocals to be ethereal in quality, as it makes people bug even harder. (I don't really mind if you can't hear me too well, as long as the music is fing with your mind)

BUT when I got the chance to grab this powered board I couldn't stop myself.

So yeah I am looking for 2? or more? Yeah 2, stage monitors for just vocals and nothing else.

For guitar it's the same, "Guitar Rig 2"> 100 watt Marshall model 1959 head> 2 old Peavey 4x12's and 2 old Peavey 2x15's. (in really small places, I use the 2x15's for the bass rig only)

So now what are you recommending? EV's? 15's? Daaammmnn ooh the price. (ouch) lol Geeze, after looking at prices, I can see why I was liking that old Kustom PA setup.. Do I need to take out a loan or wtf?
#255194 by schmedidiah
Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:11 pm
I have a good suggestion. Don't click that link /\ :roll:

*edit* link is gone. YAY! :D
Last edited by schmedidiah on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
#257175 by hnoor0055
Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:25 pm
I used Peaveys for years with the Black widow speakers and they served well, but this past New Years we blew a couple and the club owner loaned us a couple of EVs with a 15 inch. They sounded a lot better to me than the Peaveys. 

== Solitaire ==
#273498 by melvina1181849
Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 am
You can add the speakers. It will give the high sound. And the guitar is also the good option. Now there are so many bestessays review equipment which makes your music more powerful. There is lot of advancement and technology. Many things are available as I don’t know much about this.