This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#7011 by mistermikev
Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:16 pm
cmon give amd a break!(jK). big issue w em is the heat and fan noise... which is a huge issue in a studio, but these can be overcome. It used to be true that you would encounter issues with amd vs intel but that's all changed with new architecture.
afa - go to a studio... most of them use a pc or mac nowadays. yeah, a good sound engineer can be a great asset... don't get me wrong... but you'll never get that 'it was in my head at 3 am and I sat down and had the best take ever' at the commercial studio, + no pressure, + you own it and can use it as long as you like. both have there ups and downs. I've heard plenty of pro studio recordings that suck and plenty of home studio recordings that rock...
afa specific software... check out cakewalk... the one thing it has going for it is an easier user interface: and for a beginner that's gonna be the big limitation.

#7059 by gexclamationpoint
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:59 am
check out the SSL AWS 900+

it also helps to pretend its not $87,000

#8014 by Audiodef
Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 pm
If you do decide to get a workstation, make sure you get a computer with a dual-core processor that can handle digital audio well. No Celeron crap - audio will drop out faster than old flies on a hot day.
#9570 by Moparnewt
Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:09 pm
My band was in need of some demos to make CD's to hustle gigs. We used the Yamaha AW16G in the basement and got what we needed. It is by no means anything close to what pro studio is going to give you.I agree with MAIGUY in the fact that if you want the radio ready sound, go to the pro studio until you hone your craft in recording.Go to;myspace.com/offthecuffrox to hear our tunes we put up on myspce. This is the Yamaha. As you can hear it is no where near what a real studio is going to give you. We are saving our bucks to have a professional studio record our CD that will be radio ready. Hope this helps.