This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#43621 by Paleopete
Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am
i see the tele... so did you 'basturdise' an old t-64?

I'm not sure what guitar it came out of, it was a loose pickup in a local shop's extras box, the mounting tabs were broken off and I had to make a mounting plate for it, epoxied to the back. But I got it free... Probably did come from a T-60 though. I'm pretty sure that's the guitar the brown ones were used in, the only two Patriots like mine I've seen both had identical pickups, but black. I always liked the necks on T-60's but never found one that really sounded good. Looking back, I could have probably made a few adjustments and gotten a couple fo them to sound nice, but at the time I was seeing them for sale I still didn't have a clue how to fine tune a guitar like I do now.

I kind of wish I had gone ahead and grabbed the Classic 30, now that I know it can be made to sound a lot better by swapping out a few capacitors...the only drawback there is they made the damn thing with a triple circuit board that is folded inside the chassis and it's a bear to get it out and back in, plus you run the risk of breaking the thin wire contact strips from one board to the other if you bend it open a lot to work on it. But the instructions and schematics to modify it for a lot better tone are easily available online, something that didn't exist then. The Internet was around, but all the guitar and amp info was pretty sparse at that time, around 96 or 97. if I ran across that deal today, I'd probably grab it. I still like the Fenders best though...

And yeah, I'll go for CBS Fenders any time, it's not difficult at all to make a few minor modifications to tame the bass and get a lot of the tone back, it's basically a swap of 3 or 4 capacitors, I'd most likely do a cap job anyway, and replace all the one watt resistors, which break down due to heat over the years. Those were making my Super Reverb pretty noisy, a frying bacon sound when sitting between songs, volume pedal all the way down. I did a complete cap job on mine, (both Super Reverb and Champ) and replaced all the one watt resistors, under $50 for the Super and both sond great now.

Oh, and that Tele copy sounds really good now, the original bridge pickup is the hottest single coil I have, great when I kick in the distortion pedal, and that Peavey in the neck position sounds sweet. It's still a toss up whether I want to set it up for slide in open tuning again or leave it alone and use something else for slide...

#44153 by mistermikev
Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:06 pm
those old t60's were great... IMO
altho they weigh like a les paul.
great neck... but I wouldn't pay what collectors would for them...
not a big peavey guitar fan either... altho they have made a few over the years that weren't bad...

afa slide... very little compares to a dano u2.
noisy as all hell but damned if it doesn't sound like the most stereo-typical slide sound you ever heard... reissues are cheap too...
keeps you from ruining the action on a guitar that plays decent too...
I wouldn't use my dano for anything but slide given that crappy tailpiece that makes intonation impossible... but it's one hell of a slide guitar!

#50417 by JestersTear1
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:32 pm
I have an Epiphone G400 Sg. It's a 2006 'EE' serial model from the Gibson/Epiphone factory in QingDao.

It's a great guitar for the price I paid. Pups are quite rich and vintage sounding (USA Epi ones). Bridge is a bit iffy but I'm going to swap that out. Has Grover tuners that stay in tune quite well.

I just wish the neck was bound like they did on the old 'Vintage' Epi SG's.

#50713 by Demencia
Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:49 pm
I have to admit I haven't read all the post. But here's my experience. I always wanted a Les Paul; but hey with the price a broke a#$$ like me couldn't afford it. The I found the Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom. As soon as I bought it took it to my friend who has a Les Paul. After we done fine tuning it, he ask me how much it cost. I told him how much I paid and I could see he was a little upset. He told me he couldn't beleive it. Then he connected his Les Paul there was basically no differece at all. I change the pick ups for original Les Paul and viola now I have a real guitar. In may humbble opinion The epiphopne hit it out of the ball park with this one. I found my new love. Now my Fender is asking for a divorce!! LOL

#50792 by Starfish Scott
Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:52 pm
Most anyone round these parts know that you can take an Epiphone Les Paul, remove the pickups and put the old p-90's back in or whatever you like.

If the neck is to your liking, the rest is done.

PS: and when you do a "who" tune and trash it, remove the pickups so you can do it again. Final cost about 150$, reuse the p-90's.. lol

#51811 by vanderkalin
Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:07 am
This is so timely, just got into playing again after an abscence of a few years and was actually agonizing over dropping the bucks on a lp standard. played the epiphone as well but was almost convinced of the Gibsons intangibles for lack of a better word, but the epi feels and sounds good, and for the price of a Gibson lp I can get an epi lp, an epi double neck, and all the amp I'll probably need. YAY!

#51817 by gbheil
Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:12 am
I am no pro guitarist nor am I a guitar expert.
I played the Epiphone LP and the Gibson Goddess alternatly.
I perfered the Gibson. Hence she be mine, all mine haha ha hahaaa!
Frankly they were both nice guitars.

#51860 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:07 pm
Yeah but when I dropped my Epi SG, I was sad because of the huge chip I created on the headstock..

IF that had been a real GIBSON, I might have wanted to smack my head into something solid and large, like the wall, repeatedly.

With the epi, it's "oh well" and "SSDD". A few beers later, it's happy time again.. lol

#52210 by clarc
Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:13 am
[got my epiphone thunderbird about four months ago,love the way it sounds and the playability. it's a very well made piece needed new strings. sounds great through my ashdown 180. its a keeper.color=darkred][/color]