This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#284274 by alvin127
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am
What's the most frustrating thing you have to deal with technically?
#284333 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:44 pm
People who post vague questions on forums ....
#284334 by Planetguy
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm
:lol: GOOD ONE, MIKE!!! :lol:

Thanks for the early morning laugh!
#284335 by schmedidiah
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:06 pm
For me, it's never being able to leave my gear set up from one day to the next. Kids kicked me out of two bedrooms in this tiny house, leaving nowhere else to record besides the living room/ dining room. I can't leave my gear set up at my studio at my cousin's house either. So every time I do get to record, it's a total crapshoot what it will sound like. :?
#284407 by J-HALEY
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm
schmedidiah wrote:For me, it's never being able to leave my gear set up from one day to the next. Kids kicked me out of two bedrooms in this tiny house, leaving nowhere else to record besides the living room/ dining room. I can't leave my gear set up at my studio at my cousin's house either. So every time I do get to record, it's a total crapshoot what it will sound like. :?

Shmed, if your kids are young get use to it. I raised 7 children the youngest of which is now 24. I finally got my own music room put a lock on the door and the kids picked the lock when they wanted in. Now they're all grown and for the first time in 37 years I have NO kids in the house It's farking GREAT!

Oh and to you guys Mark and Mike, the creator of this thread was just trying to start friendly conversation and ya'll have to get all snarky with him. No wonder this forum is dying!
#284410 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Oh and to you guys Mark and Mike, the creator of this thread was just trying to start friendly conversation and ya'll have to get all snarky with him. No wonder this forum is dying!

Hardly. He joined BM that day, has no info on his profile, and asked one vague question in the forum that same day and hasn't returned. YAWN!
#284411 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 pm
what mike said, jeff.

from the jump, that guy was a one and done drive by.

but if you want to talk about why this forum is dying...as i see it, it's because there are only a handful of members who still talk music here. then.... you have a few who can't talk music WITHOUT trying to make some political remark....and that in the MUSIC forum.

no doubt many of the good folks who did talk music here have moved off because of the constant political bellyaching and the insults tossed back and forth among us.

if that poster who started this thread doesn't have enough of a thick skin and the sense of humor to chuckle at mike's harmless comment and decided to move on because of it....he might not be that great of a loss to what's left of this site.
#284426 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm
"Talk Music"!!!!
#284430 by schmedidiah
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm
7 kids?! :shock:
#284432 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm
schmedidiah wrote:For me, it's never being able to leave my gear set up from one day to the next. Kids kicked me out of two bedrooms in this tiny house, leaving nowhere else to record besides the living room/ dining room. I can't leave my gear set up at my studio at my cousin's house either. So every time I do get to record, it's a total crapshoot what it will sound like. :?

oh man do I relate!?

For the the first 10 years of his little life, Teddy Jr would play on my computer when I would leave on tour and his mom didn't do a thing to stop him. About age 6 he started experimenting with making viruses.

Every single damn time I'd leave home, I'd come back to a destroyed computer and have to wipe the hard drive and start over. It was the MOST frustrating thing....until I just quit. Had not used that computer to make a demo in about a decade before pulling it out now in South Carolina. Junior now has 2 computers that are the best ones in the house so he won't touch my ancient IBM pentium 4, now set up in the basement.

After that, when it comes to "technical" I don't really understand how to use a compressor or how to do mastering.

#285415 by pauljisaacs
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Biggest frustration for me is that computers and DAWs (like Protools, Logic etc) obstruct my creativity as a musician. In front of a computer, I feel more like an IT engineer than an artist.
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty experienced with Logic and Protools, but they've become so bloated with features and options, I often get side tracked by all the techie stuff rather than focussing on the music and laying tracks. By the time I've set up routing, connected USB audio interface, midi controllers, updated firmware on a whole bunch of stuff, dealt with emails and other computer notifications, I'm sort of done.

That's why I'm now mostly using the Sound Devices MixPre-10M portable multitrack recorder for track-laying my music. It allows me to very quickly build a song in the highest quality without having to go near a computer. It has 8 great sounding mic pre's, can overdub, auto-punch in/out, bounce and add effects etc. Once I've done a final mix, I can export a stereo mix for upload to web or export all tracks for import into a DAW for mastering or further development.
Basically it's like a portable, battery-powered mini-DAW that you can take anywhere without a computer. Its a super high quality 8ch mic preamp, DAW, USB audio interface and controller all in one that you can use anywhere in the house, studio or on the road. I'm now more prolific than ever.
#285434 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm
Mixing on a stand-alone recorder hearkens back to the old analog tape studio days - fingers on faders, sometimes doing bounce tracks, etc. Great way to learn recording techniques (like tracking well, rather than trying to 'fix it in the mix'). But once you've got comfortable with using a DAW, there's no going back. Being able to automate volumes is one of the biggest advantages, but also being able to record multiple takes without worrying about memory space is great too. Last weekend I was recording a lead guitar part for a song. I had the guitar going to a Radial splitter, one signal going to the amp, the other DIed into my audio interface. Miked the amp, recorded both tracks at same time, and I recorded about 10 takes (so each had 2 tracks, one from the amp, one DI). Doing a quick initial mix down, I found I wasn't thrilled with the way the amp sound was on any of the tracks, but found one track where the "notes were right" for between verses, and another where the lead sounded good (note-wise). I added amp sims to both DI tracks (Pod Farm 2.76) so the tones matched, and VOILA! With a stand-alone recorder, I would have had to go back and track again.
If you leave your interface plugged into your computer, there's no wasted time hooking things up and updating every time you want to record. My interface (Tascam) hasn't had any updates since installation, and Reaper is very stable, even if you don't do the updates as they release them. I do have to hook up mics, etc when I want to track, but as I always hook things up the same, I can do it pretty quickly.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#285528 by pauljisaacs
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 am
Yeah true - computer DAWs definitely have way more options and flexibility, but that’s sometimes a negative for me especially at the time of capture - sometimes the choices and options are too vast. It’s like having to choose a box of cornflakes from a row of a 100 different types in a supermarket. I always get a better flow, feel and ‘musical’ result by making creative decisions before and during tracklaying. It’s like a telling a story more authentically. On the MixPre-10M, I can still record 10 or even 100 takes and choose the best one. It’s got a full history list where you can revert to any previous take. Memory space is not an issue. I use a 64GB SD card which is way plenty. After I’ve tracklayed the foundation of the song on the 10M, I just drag the files into my DAW for further finessing.
#285578 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:40 pm
pauljisaacs wrote:Yeah true - computer DAWs definitely have way more options and flexibility, but that’s sometimes a negative for me especially at the time of capture - sometimes the choices and options are too vast. It’s like having to choose a box of cornflakes from a row of a 100 different types in a supermarket. I always get a better flow, feel and ‘musical’ result by making creative decisions before and during tracklaying. It’s like a telling a story more authentically. On the MixPre-10M, I can still record 10 or even 100 takes and choose the best one. It’s got a full history list where you can revert to any previous take. Memory space is not an issue. I use a 64GB SD card which is way plenty. After I’ve tracklayed the foundation of the song on the 10M, I just drag the files into my DAW for further finessing.

So you're using the stand-alone just for tracking, but doing the mixing in a DAW? A slong as the A/D converters in the stand-alone are up to par, then its just another tool.