This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281969 by aiki_mcr
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm
I have an old Digitech BP-8 that I've been using. I'm thinking I need to replace it.

- It's old and there are pedals actually broken.
- I really only use the compressor (and I don't really need that), the preamp (for one overdrive effect), the EQ and a chorus effect.
- Oh, right, I also use the expression pedal as a volume pedal. Which doesn't actually work well.

I realize open-ended questions like this often backfire, but...

Any thoughts on pedals which might be better options? I'm not attached to the multi-effects thing, although I like having less stuff to carry.
#281975 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:05 pm
Unlike guitar multi-FX pedals, there aren't a ton of bass ones.
Start at the low end, this Vox: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL2B or this Digitech: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BP90
On the higher end, Boss has a few models, here's one mid-priced model: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ME20B
#281976 by schmedidiah
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 pm
I think technically you're looking for multi effects units. I don't have any thing like that because i'm a guitarist first and I just use my guitar fx when I play bass. doesn't matter much to me that they aren't specifically designed and marketed for bass because I run a 15" combo clean and a 10" combo dirty. rock on. 8)
#281979 by Planetguy
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:23 pm
bass effects? are you kidding? have you HEARD my bass tone?????

that'd be like putting bumper stickers on a Ferrari!

(i kid. i kid.)
#281989 by aiki_mcr
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:46 pm
Planetguy wrote:bass effects? are you kidding? have you HEARD my bass tone?????

that'd be like putting bumper stickers on a Ferrari!

(i kid. i kid.)

The hysterical thing is that I'm mostly in this same camp. Not kidding. That's part of why when I actually do need effects, I'm completely at sea shopping for them. The only effect I use regularly is a compressor. A rack-mounted DBX compressor. Because compressor pedals generally suck in my experience.

But I really do need the overdrive and chorus for one band I'm working with. I don't want to spend a fortune trying out pedals I wind up hating, but I don't really know what I'm looking for on some level.
#281991 by Planetguy
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 pm
funny...on the rare times when i DO use a compressor....i also use a DBX. An MC6 mini-comp, i guess it's what's called a "desk mount". very happy w it.

have you tried a TECH 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI ? I've used that when i needed a slightly overdriven SVT like grindy tone. Of course it has lots of other EQ options and does great low, wooly dub like tones too. It's also a great DI pedal for recording and good to have in your gig bag in case your rig ever goes belly up on a gig and you need to plug straight into the PA. (yeah, I've had to do that a cpl of times)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassDriverV2?rkg_attid=3090639417&SID=-1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4bzSBRDOARIsAHJ1UO7RNWe-kGN8lZxFFISHRPE-nLUc0C4gB9xiQAXD6_z58_-BrbldWnsaAo2rEALw_wcB

i have a Digitech CF-7 Chorus Factory pedal that very rarely will use for gtr (not much a FX guy there either) and it's got lots of choices and can cop a lot of different chorus pedals including flange like stuff.
#282072 by mistermikev
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm
as mentioned, not many out there for bass and fewer still that are good. I really like the pod stuff for getting a variety of sounds... sadly I really only use the amp models and compressor on the xt I demoted for bass. Ultimately it is a convenient way to get my dry signal into my computer for the most part. You can get the bass xt for next to nothing but admittedly fewer around.
with your needs being so simple... why not give pedals a shot? There are some great compressors out there. You can slowly buy what you want so no big up front out of pocket. just a thought.
#282125 by othy1252917
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 am
www.darkglass.com they are pricey but I haven’t heard distortion that even comes close to the Alpha Omega they just released. I paid $350 for it and I have zero buyers remorse.

Besides my family loves bologna for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

https://youtu.be/NiOzv_fukWk
#282134 by aiki_mcr
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm
mistermikev wrote:with your needs being so simple... why not give pedals a shot? There are some great compressors out there. You can slowly buy what you want so no big up front out of pocket. just a thought.

That's consistent with my own thoughts on the subject at this point. I looked at the overdrive pedal someone suggested and I think that's where I'll start.

Of course, now I'm massively broke again, so...

:roll:
#284665 by Stephen Barnard
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:35 am
in responce to the original question, you sound like a experanced musician, and you know what you use, if i was in your shoes I would build a small pedalboard, based on what you use, stomp boxes should last longer.

to anyone elses looking at this i would recommend looking a guitar multi-fx, I am a Headrush fx user and its awsome, although expensive, but there are loads of other optinions on the market with guitar multi fx to suit your budget, and if you think about it the technolagy between bass and guitar is pritty much the same.