This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281676 by aiki_mcr
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm
I have a few of these around. I liked them. Notice the past tense.

They are very convenient. Reasonably accurate as well. But I had to change the battery in one, and now it won't turn on. I found a few YouTube videos describing a problem with the batteries not fitting and a few similar posts on an assortment of other sites.

So, I'm going to be switching tuners out to something I hope will be more reliable.

But I'm curious. Anyone else here have a problem with these tuners?
#281684 by schmedidiah
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm
I've had one for about 4 years. I asked the guys at Sam Ash which tuner they preferred and they recommended Snark. I'm happy with it, haven't used it that much. changed the battery once , worked. second battery died when my son thought it was a microphone (kids. SHEESH! :roll: ). it's a great design but a royal PITA to find the new batteries.
#281685 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:19 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:I have a few of these around. I liked them. Notice the past tense.

They are very convenient. Reasonably accurate as well. But I had to change the battery in one, and now it won't turn on. I found a few YouTube videos describing a problem with the batteries not fitting and a few similar posts on an assortment of other sites.

So, I'm going to be switching tuners out to something I hope will be more reliable.

But I'm curious. Anyone else here have a problem with these tuners?

are you sure you got the right battery and put it in right? It could be that the battery was dead when you bought it. Those things will sit in the store a long time. I find that the jewelry department of Walmart has the best selection for those batteries.

Did you get the tuner capo?
#281689 by aiki_mcr
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 pm
Yeah. I'm sure it's the right battery.

So I figured I couldn't make things worse, so I opened the tuner up and bent the battery contacts out a little and it worked for a while. The battery is brand new, just out of the package.
#281704 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:12 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:Yeah. I'm sure it's the right battery.

So I figured I couldn't make things worse, so I opened the tuner up and bent the battery contacts out a little and it worked for a while. The battery is brand new, just out of the package.

I've bought batteries that were sealed in the package and yet bad.

Its just another possibility based on the limited info given.
#281706 by aiki_mcr
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 pm
Really, I have my answer. It was mostly about curiosity. A Google search reveals that the problem I'm seeing is alarmingly common, but the "tips" I found for dealing with it were, um, unhelpful. I was mostly interested if anyone here had seen the problems and what they have done about it. FWIW: Out of three Snark tuners, only one has had a problem. The other two work fine.

No biggie. I bought a new tuner (sadly, another Snark because that's what I could find immediately). I'm researching other clip-on tuners.

TC Electronics makes a couple that look great.

Korg makes one designed especially for bass. I like the look of that one. But it's expensive.
#281735 by schmedidiah
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:21 pm
funny. stick around kid. you just might learn something. :wink:
#281740 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:Really, I have my answer. It was mostly about curiosity. A Google search reveals that the problem I'm seeing is alarmingly common, but the "tips" I found for dealing with it were, um, unhelpful. I was mostly interested if anyone here had seen the problems and what they have done about it. .

Actually my answer all along would have been "if the batteries work, then get a new one...maybe try a different brand" Snarks are only about $20

I've got a half-dozen of them. Now they make the capo tuners for the same price as the non-capo ones.