This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279893 by J-HALEY
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 pm
I have had an injury and wasn't able to play for a while. I opened my 12 string and the strings were rusty and dead they are a year and half old. I am thinking of using coated strings because it is such a pain changing them. I want strings that will last and have good tone. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
#279895 by Planetguy
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:42 pm
Hey Jeff... does this mean you're back in the guitar slinging bidness???

If so, that's great news and congrats!

I've tried all the usual suspects when it comes to coated
strings....Cleartone, D'Addario, and Elixer.

I don't always use coated strings but when I do.... I use Elixer Nano. Stay thirsty my friend.
#279927 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:08 pm
Thanks Mark, I am back in da bidness! I didn’t play for 4 weeks. I hadn’t played that 12 string for 3 months. It is one I play around the house a very nice Guild my awesome girlfriend bought me for my birthday last year. I am doing an acoustic set this Sunday at a benefit for a friend. Using my Takamine for that. Playing 5 of my originals and 5 covers. Then next Saturday the 7th our band Daze Of Nite kicks off with our first gig since my injury last June 11th. I have not taken that much time off in playing since 87.
I have been using D’Addario’s for 25 years switched over from Earnie Ball strings. I think I’ll try those ones you suggested. I have never used a coated string and why I asked for suggestions here.
#279981 by Planetguy
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:59 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Thanks Mark, I am back in da bidness!

good for you! i'd lose what's left of marbles if i had to go that long w/o playing.

I hadn’t played that 12 string for 3 months. It is one I play around the house a very nice Guild my awesome girlfriend bought me for my birthday last year.

sounds like a keeper....gtr AND girlfriend. which Guild model do you have? newer one or vintage?

I am doing an acoustic set this Sunday at a benefit for a friend. Using my Takamine for that. Playing 5 of my originals and 5 covers. Then next Saturday the 7th our band Daze Of Nite kicks off with our first gig since my injury last June 11th. I have not taken that much time off in playing since 87.

break a leg....nah...scratch that. :D

I have been using D’Addario’s for 25 years switched over from Earnie Ball strings. I think I’ll try those ones you suggested. I have never used a coated string and why I asked for suggestions here.

let me know how they work out for you. i've not used tried them on my recently acquired Breedlove 12 string and it's due for a string change.
#284161 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:17 pm
Joel Clyde wrote:Stay away from coated strings. They sound horrible. I use Martin Phosphor-Bronze Lights. I've used DiAddarios before and they are OK, as well. To get more string life, loosen your strings when you are not playing. It takes some tension off of them and they will sound better, for longer. Also, wipe them off with Windex after your are through playing. Loosening the strings also takes some of the tension off of the neck, and helps stop neck bowing, due to the increased pressure of the 12 strings. I keep mine tuned down 1/2 step (tuned to Eb) to ease the neck pressure. I know some 12-string pilots that even tune down to D, and it seems to work really well for them.

Old thread, but ....
I use Martin Lifespan (coated) strings, the 12 string 80/20s sound good to me.
#284162 by Planetguy
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:38 pm
Never heard of loosening strings to preserve string life! If anything I'd think that constant change in tension would be detrimental.

And that constant changing of tension certainly isn't great for your neck.

Now, leaving your 12 str tuned down anywhere from a half step to as much as two whole steps... That's an old time tested standard.

Me, I prefer to keep mine in standard tuning w very light gauge strings.

Right now my 12'er is tuned
c g c g b e