This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276084 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm
No experience with it myself. From reviews, there's some quality issues - a lot of pedals dying soon after first use. I'd be wary of a couple of things - the slider time control, easy to hit with your foot and probably would not take much abuse; the pedal design - wood sides means it won't mount on a pedal board easily.
#276087 by Badstrat
Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 pm
Nothing new under the sun. It is a digital unit that does not sound like a tape echo to the discriminating listener. So it has a slider that does the same thing as the delay time only you have to use the slider instead of twisting the delay knob. The only thing analog about it is the direct signal, the delay circuits are digital with the highs muddied or buffered through a tone network, similar to a treble control, making each successive repeat muddier and weaker as a tape echo would, but still not the same. Not very impressive, especially at that price.

The guy in a demo video looked like he just turned it on for the first time and appeared completely lost yet he is explaining it to us.
#276360 by mistermikev
Fri May 05, 2017 10:08 pm
Not sure it's digital like prior poster suggests but could be wrong... as I understand (haven't seen the schem) it uses two bl3205 analog delay lines. 1000ms from those chips would likely have some sound quality issues.
Have also heard about build qc issues... see a lot of em broke and for sale on evilbay.

there's a lot of decent options for analog delay but easily the crowd fav would be an (2x) mn3005 based memory man (600ms).
my pick for sleeper: go on evil bay and look up dod performer 585 delay. not true bypass... but 18v and uses single mn3005 and sounds very good. tops out around 300ms and under $80.

of course there are the carbon copies, the ad9, ad900... happy hunting!
#276361 by Badstrat
Fri May 05, 2017 10:48 pm
For some reason the bl3205 analog delay line data sheet is rather difficult to find. That may be a company choice. The Bl3207 and Bl3208 boast low noise. But only one is a 2048 chip. However anything using these chips will be a true analog delay with no digital chain in the system.

I used to design my own delays using bucket brigade devices but they became very noisy as you increased the delay. Electro Harmonix made the first BBD device I ever heard (Memory Man) and it was really noisy I believe It used P channel devices Reticon SAD1024. VERY noisy. Later on the Panasonic MN3007 N channel (1024) device was used for most delays. It had far lower noise but long delays were also quite noisy. Some companies still use the MN3007 for flangers since short delays aren't very noisy.

I have about 12 Reticon SAD1024. chips and about 8 MN3007 N channel (1024) devices somewhere in my storeroom. I also have a batch of 512 BBD chips. Peavey used them in its flangers and chorus units.
#276362 by mistermikev
Fri May 05, 2017 11:04 pm
https://www.google.com/search?q=ibanez+ ... 8-vnAYJtDM:
better yet... uses 2x coolaudio v3205 so at least the delay lines are analog and I would suspect given a tl072 so is the dry path.

you are right on the reticon. nice to talk to someone who is knowledgeable re fx. I have a mem man (not deluxe). it's the reissue(mn3005) that has the power supply off board - it's fairly quiet as vintage analog delays go. as I understand the earlier (more sought after) mem mans with the transformer on board are prone to some general noise. the repeats on all of them get a bit dirty as you approach 250+ms... but that is half the charm.

I think you are confusing the mn3007 with the mn3005. to my knowledge the 7 (1024) is typically used for chorus(ce2), flangers, etc. I don't know of any delays that use it (not saying it's not possible). the dm2, 80s/90s mem man, older ad9 all used mn3005. Love me some bbd. then again digital is great in the right situation. I'll take one of everything please.
cheers,
#276366 by Badstrat
Sat May 06, 2017 1:36 am
My bad.
Peavey used the 8 pin MN3007. I haven't looked at one of those chips for over 20 years so it is easy to forget. I looked in my drawer and found 4 shiny new MN3007's.
I'm not sure where I picked up the MN3005's. I believe it is the 4096 that Ibanez used. I was thinking that Peavey also used them in one of their products since I picked them up from the dealer when I was doing Peavey repairs. I even found 4 of the MN3101 clocks in my stash. Now I wonder where my MN3005's are located.

I still have a pedal around here that I modified to use as a slap back echo. I thought the guts were stored in a coffee can for protection. Now I can't find it. But where ever it is it is safe. :)

I also found a slap back "Danelectro FAB" delay that sold for only for $15 At Sweetwater. At that price I expected a noisy analog delay. When I opened it it was a digital delay! The slap back was a little too short but you can modify them easily by taking out the timing chip resistor and bringing two wires out to a variable resistor. It makes a really great delay that can be mounted and wired into an amplifier that doesn't have any sound FX. It's a cute little orange pedal that loves to gobble batteries but with a wall wart or with the guts mounted in a chassis of an amp it's great source of echo.
You can buff out the highs with a resistor and a cap and the decay will be similar to an analog delay. It decays faster and the highs are softer.