This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#273205 by CherylJosie
Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:58 pm
OK well after decades of faking it as a musician, I got an unexpected request to do mixing of the sound for a (very loud) band.

Actually, it seems that I get similar requests every time I go to bar gigs and parties now.

So while I am attempting to learn how to operate Master Fader and how to EQ for natural sound in a live mix, I am also learning that my ears are painfully sensitive to the high dBs in my 'old age'.

This came as a surprise to me, having lost the top octave already. I figured they would be less sensitive and extra volume would be welcome, but no. What happens is that my ears distort grievously, even with foam ear plugs in, and tire easily. Loud sound that others can tolerate all night with no protection (though it is stupid for them to do so) provokes severe pain in my ears after a few minutes.

Even just the sound of an ambulance siren going by when I am on the sidewalk causes phantom harmonic tones that sweep up and down the scale with the siren.

Chalk it up to age, abuse, and probably pharmaceuticals have something to do with it, plus a tendency to develop osteoarthritic spurs after joint damage. Presumably the same has happened to the bones in my ears.

So even with foam plugs I have to jam them in as far as I can with my fingertips to get the distortion to stop.

I am hoping that there is some ear plug product out there that will provide steep linear attenuation for someone mixing sound with spent ears for very loud bands (OK it is officially plural now).

So far I have found two brands that both seem to cost about $200 per pair for the custom molded ones. I am again presuming I need them because they seat deep and fit snug enough to prevent leakage and isolate the bony bass boom portion of the ear canal. I am hoping that deep ear plugs will help in the same way that jamming the foam in deep does.

Anybody got advice for me? thx.
#273211 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:46 pm
1) See an 'Ear, Nose & Throat' doctor first. Get his/her advice.
2) IEMs are designed to let a little of the ambient sound in, whereas custom-molded ear plugs are designed to keep sound out. They can be shaped and made for what you are trying to do, too, so make sure you use a place that understands your requirements.
#273213 by CherylJosie
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 pm
Yes I am going to schedule appointment as soon as I get over this bug that just struck me down yesterday.

I was thinking audiologist who can order/fit musician's ear plugs for me. I don't think I have any issues besides the long-term damage. No fluid or infection or deformity etc. that I am aware of.

Is there a specific reason for ENT recommendation?
#273234 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:42 pm
No, except they know their business. Audiologists specifically are for hearing loss.