This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#273029 by jazzjess
Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:52 pm
Hey, i just wanna figure out how to get that little "special" guitar sound used in the song "Save Yourself" by Kaleo. It's this little tone in the background played by the e-guitar which sounds a bit like a flageolet.

here's a link to the song ( i set a timer at the point where u can hear the sound clearly )

https://youtu.be/oCi0RHLrauU?t=1m31s
#273039 by schmedidiah
Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:38 pm
neat stuff. never heard of them but this is a cut above your average Euro Americana stuff :mrgreen:
#273053 by jazzjess
Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 pm
Jookeyman wrote:I can get that through my Echoplex (echo w/ short repeat).
Sounds like he may be also using an E-Bow (long sustain).

thank you !!! could he probably also use a DigiTech FreqOut Natural Feedback Creator ?
#273057 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 am
He's picking the strings with volume pedal up (off), then pushing down on the volume pedal to 'swell' the sound'.
#273058 by DainNobody
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 am
I was wondering when somebody had figured it out besides me.. also a technique for emulating pedal steel guitar.. a "swell"..
#273062 by schmedidiah
Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:17 pm
Volume pedal yes, but he has a certain eq shape to his tone that's unusual and a few other things going on. It's an fx gumbo. Yum!

Now, real question...... where's the singer's breath? If they're really on that iceberg, why can't I see any steam or whatever coming out his piehole while he's wailing his heart out?
#273067 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:15 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Now, real question...... where's the singer's breath? If they're really on that iceberg, why can't I see any steam or whatever coming out his piehole while he's wailing his heart out?

I noticed that too. Must have been green screened.
#273070 by schmedidiah
Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:Now, real question...... where's the singer's breath? If they're really on that iceberg, why can't I see any steam or whatever coming out his piehole while he's wailing his heart out?

I noticed that too. Must have been green screened.

Another video I didn't happen to watch was live in a volcano. yeah, right.... :wink:
#273078 by RGMixProject
Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Volume pedal yes, but he has a certain eq shape to his tone that's unusual and a few other things going on. It's an fx gumbo. Yum!

Now, real question...... where's the singer's breath? If they're really on that iceberg, why can't I see any steam or whatever coming out his piehole while he's wailing his heart out?

The band spent 22 hours one day this past June filming. They powered their gear by two generators on boats nearby, with power lines running underwater. Rain forced strings players to drop out of the shoot, and the iceberg was in motion too, further complicating things.

“It was by far the most challenging video we’ve made thus far,” says the band’s lead singer JJ Julius Son.

“I think because of the soft and melodic nature of this song it fit perfectly with the beautiful, serene setting of the glacier lagoon,” he says.
#273081 by schmedidiah
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:03 pm
Jookeyman wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:Volume pedal yes, but he has a certain eq shape to his tone that's unusual and a few other things going on. It's an fx gumbo. Yum!

Not really unusual, Schmeddy. He's just rolling the tone back a bit to get a 'rounder' sound (backing off the 'bite').
Very common in Jazz if you're trying to cop horn tones.

But are they playing Jazz? Do Americana fans know all these tricks?
#273140 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:16 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:He's picking the strings with volume pedal up (off), then pushing down on the volume pedal to 'swell' the sound'.

yep. it's nothing more mysterious than that.

he's just working a volume pedal. later at 3:00 he introduced a little OD and then around 3:19 he hits the tremelo.
#273141 by DainNobody
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 pm
schmedidiah wrote:
Jookeyman wrote:

Not really unusual, Schmeddy. He's just rolling the tone back a bit to get a 'rounder' sound (backing off the 'bite').
Very common in Jazz if you're trying to cop horn tones.

But are they playing Jazz? Do Americana fans know all these tricks?

this is actually blues music.. :D