This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#270397 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:03 pm
Actually ... two of my favorite guitarists (that most people have never heard of): Jesse Gress (primarily Todd RUndgren's guitarist for last 18 years) and Carter Gravatt (Carbon Leaf) use incredible stompbox set ups. Truly an outstanding number of pedals in a maze of configurations - lots of A/B/C routing choices, etc.
#270406 by Planetguy
Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 pm
I've never been much into FX.

These days my gtr gigs are playing straightahead jazz/reggae/island music so it's usually gtr/cable/low watt tube amp for me.

Recently I have been using my '80's Westbury compressor and a JOYO Sweet Baby overdrive pedal on some gigs.

Bass gigs...NEVER any FX

Bluegrass gigs on mando and dobro I use a Tube Screamer, Rat, an d Big Muff... well, no. No so much so.
#270438 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:28 pm
Jookeyman wrote:My opinion (FWIW)??
Depends on genre. Different genres demand different tones.

Well exactly! And the decade! In the 80s I used a fuzz, wah, flanger and compressor. These days, fuzz, chorus, delay, reverb.
The guitarists I mention above may use one pedal only for a specific song out of a whole night's worth of tunes. other pedals get used more often, but its all about getting the sound that is appropriate for the song.
Saturday night I used reverb (on acoustic) for 2 of the songs I did over the 2 hours, and fuzz box on the electric (because it was DIed to the PA, no guitar amp being used).
#270474 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:19 pm
Good thing this thread is still on top, it reminded me I've got to yank the 9v battery out of my tuner pedal, don't want it corroding away in there, the pedal board is all packed away until the next infrequent use.
#270984 by J-HALEY
Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 pm
I have a pedal board with 11 pedals on it. I have 3 good cables one with wah tuner modded phase 90 overdrive and distortion going into the front of my amp the others are all pitch and modulation with time based effects last going thu the effects loop. Never any problems at all unless a pedal goes bad which has happened twice in the last 10 years.
Having said all that a preamp tube went bad in my 9 month old 2K Marshall at the end of the first set last Friday at a gig. My point is with electronics anything can go wrong at anytime to screw up your musical zen. Have backups and a backup plan experience is the best helper you can have.
#270986 by schmedidiah
Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:23 pm
Would you consider this as a backup?

http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum
#271013 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:51 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Would you consider this as a backup?

http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum

44 watts of solid-state power is just not strong enough for live playing unless you're miking your speaker.
#279686 by forallofus PLENTY
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:46 am
Treadstone wrote:Gear is Fun, Tech is Great, but Keeping It Simple is most often better.
As a guitar player of over 30 years I've had just about every gadget you can think of, and what I've figured out is this: The more gear, the more fails at gigs, the more you spend time panning through pedal boards for that perfect sound, which is never perfect btw.., the less time you spend writing. It's also more crap to haul to and back from shows. When very simply put: 2 good tones and 4 channels through a good guitar head, cords, and a few backup guitars is all you'll ever need. Tech stuff is also fun, but typically expensive, and either breaks at gigs or practice, or just ends up collecting dust on a shelf. I'm sure many will not agree with my assessments, but check out what your favorite player uses for gear and tech. You might be surprised that he uses less sh*t than you. Just an opinion. 8)

gear is highly personal (and circumstantial)

whatever "works" and ya can afford

today w true bypass switchers (midi) and good BUFFERS you can get away w a lot

at the end of the day, u always desire to reduce the cable run (and thus capacitance) to a minimum

start w a 10' cable and plug in a GERMANIUM treble booster straight into a marshall

then

plug it in front of 3 other true bypass pedals TURNED OFF (w acommpanying cables)...

completely FEELS different (and WRONG) compared to before (treble booster straight in)

that my son is the LAW of TOYLAND