This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#257066 by schmedidiah
Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:30 pm
Seems to me that you would only lose 1 - 5% of their soundproofing capabilities (just a wild ass guess). Better than nothing.
#257068 by DainNobody
Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:18 pm
I was in a pop-rock variety band named Broken Toy 1981-1982 and we rented an old vacated motel room on Miracle Strip Pkwy. and used egg cartons for better acoustics to take out some of the natural reverb of a block & stucco wall.. really helped and a lot cheaper than tiles
#257101 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm
Egg crates and 'acoustic foam' - the tools of people who don't know any better. You can get the same effect cheaper by hanging some old bed comforters on the wall.

What all of these methods don't do is absorb the low end - low frequency bass up through the lower middle frequencies (600Hz). This is where all the 'mud' in sound is located. So you get rid of the 'flutter echo' (clap your hands in an empty room with sheetrock walls, that's what you hear) and leave all the low mud.
Full frequency absorbers (commonly called bass traps) are what's needed in most rooms. These will be at least 4" thick rockwool or compressed fiberglass in a frame to hold it together.
#257123 by Planetguy
Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:47 pm
So, you're saying bass traps will effectively cancel the echo?
#257128 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:40 pm
AHA! "Video conferencing" - so this is not about music at all. Yeah, most likely the foam will work for you. Depending on what you have for a budget, these might look better and be more/as effective:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/panels
#257204 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:31 pm
Yeah, you said 'office', but some people record music in their offices, and this is a music-related forum.

You should note that the cheap foam 'pyramid' squares you see can sometimes have physical defects - areas of the foam that didn't mold correctly - doesn't affect how they work, just how they look. I bought a pack of 30 of them on ebay for $25 and cut some up to use under my monitors, and hung up most of the rest in places in my studio where I don't have room for full traps (figuring they can't hurt anything, as I have plenty of bass traps).

Yes, you can attach these to something and hang them, or however you ar eplanning on doing it, won't make them work any different.
#257227 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:41 pm
Dhumaketu wrote:Woohoo! yeah! Gettin somewhere!
May I ask how you hung yours up? Did you glue them to something or just hung them as is?

You have to buy special adhesive to get them glued up anywhere, and I'm not sure how good it really works. As the foam is 'open cell' there is not a lot of surface area for sticking. So I just drove a couple of finish nails into the wall, and impale each foam panel on them.
#257231 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:03 pm
Look out everyone...it's MIKE THE IMPALER!!!!

(no doubt driving and Impala)
#257374 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:41 pm
Planetguy wrote:Look out everyone...it's MIKE THE IMPALER!!!!

(no doubt driving and Impala)

The only Chevy I would ever drive (by choice) is a Camaro or Corvette! I had to drive one of the Chevy SUVs last year as a complimentary loaner while my truck got service - uncomfortable and not fun to drive.
Back in my college days my mother and brother bought a barely-used Chevy Vega - what a POS! At 25K miles needed a new clutch (could have been my brother learning how to drive a manual trannie). First gen aluminum engine - you may remember that the bolts would strip when trying to do anything to the engine.