This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#249129 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:52 pm
I sold off my Bandmaster Reverb head and cabinet a few years ago. 69 head, 68 cab (big Bassman style) - weighed 90 lbs. Back in the early 80s I had routed out two holes in the front of the head cabinet (took off the ripped grill cloth), one for a box fan and one for a little 4" speaker. Of course I blew out the speaker in no time flat. :roll: Th efan was good as those old power tubes got hot as hell. I also drilled out some holes in the front of the chassis (through tha tsteel wa some job!) and mounted a couple of switches (power and standby) in series to the rear-mounted ones. Of course little did I realize back then that if I had left it stock (it had been recapped in the mid 70s), it would be worth much more. To me it was just a beater gigging amp. The head weighed 45 lbs by itself.
When I moved to my house, they sat unused in the spare bedroom an dI would plug them in once a year to shake the dust off - until I got married.
The tubes were ancient (whatever Radio Shack sold back in the day) and it owuld have cost me about $150 to replace all of them, and with no need for its volume, and no desire to move that beast around, I sold the cabinet to one guy and the head to another.
Of course now I'm jonesing for another Fender valve amp ... :lol:
#249133 by schmedidiah
Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:43 pm
I always seem to miss the mark with my amp purchases. I only have one tube amp, the Vox Night Train (looks like a toaster). It's nice, but extremely noisy just to plug in and try to compete with a drummer. The background noise sounds like a waterfall. I know I need to try upgrade the tubes, since it came with lousy Chinese made tubes. :roll: No money for that at the moment.

I didn't really learn about tube vs solid state until recently. I just bought a Fender M-80 in 92 for $300 for Christmas and it lasted me 17 years . It suited all my needs and it worked great with all of my Boss effects pedals. It could crank up enough to play with drums and bass. I finally got around to using the clean channel, which basically sounded like CCR. Then it died. :(

I've bought 3 solid state amps in the last 8 years and my uncle gave me a Marshall that's quite nice. He bought it in 2000 and it's made in England. Only problem is it was the first generation of amps with built-in fx and frankly, they suck. Built-in in fx sound better on a $100 amp these days. But I carry 12 pedals in a tool box, so I don't use that stuff.

I got a Fender FM 212 DSP, which is really handy for rehearsals or small gigs (potentially, I don't gig).
It's a 2x12 combo with the exact same controls on both channels. You can dial in settings that are almost identical on both channels or switch from C&W to Slayer. The amp models are cheesy. The fx are cheesy. The hardware is cheap, plastic pots. I'm not kidding. But I enjoy it for what it can do. This is one of the amps that fights my fx, though. I can't just plug in my Boss Octave pedal and wail like I did with my M-80. This thing turns into Christine and acts like "I have built-in fx, so F your stuff". :x

I also got the bottom of the line Marshall half stack with the smallest 4x12 cab in the biz. It has reverb plus 4 fx settings. These are better than the Fender. The chorus effect is actually pretty cool. I didn't know what chorus was when I started buying all this stuff. A lot of my favorite bands use it. Cuts through the mix on a demo. Can be overdone, like anything else. The half stack is nice and loud, but I hate the tone and only use it with a Boss Metal Zone pedal inserted in the fx loop. That pedal is great, because I can dial the mid frequency down and make it sound like Ziggy Stardust. Not bad. I was using this amp 2 practices ago, experimenting with different fx. It sounded great just clean with the EHX Cathedral reverb. I was sending everything else to the Marshall 2000 (2 distortion, tremolo, phaser). Tried recreating it Sunday with the drummer, couldn't hear it. I used to play every note through mics, mixers, compressors, headphones. Playing without it leads to the volume wars. :roll:

On that note, I'm very interested in the Jamhub. Anyone tried that?

Other amp I got was a Vox VT-50. Yet another one with amp models and built-in fx. That amp wamazeballs, but I killed it. With just 50 watts, it couldn't compete with drums. I usually used it with another amp in my chain, but it died pretty quick. The tone was incredible. It had such a nice break up vs crunch ratio. I got the Night Train based on this, but with gear built in Vietnam, what the hell do I expect?

That's my sad, strange relationship to loud speaker box thingies. I'll save the bass and acoustic amp for another day...... :D