This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#248534 by TimJAM
Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:14 am
Hey Guys, got a quick question for ya'll.
My Church is extending our Musicians stage for us, however some of the guys are concerned that they ain't going to be able to see which key the keyboardist is playing in - stage is kinda split (keys and organ on one side and guitars/bass the other side), How would you guys overcome this issue? Any suggestions would be great.

At the moment, keyboardist has a notepad she flips for them to see.
#248619 by MikeTalbot
Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:34 pm
Most church music (at least Lutheran) seems to be in F, C or D for some reason so that simplifies it.

It sounds as if you all might be improvising a bit? If the guitar player is kind enough to use a couple barre chords at the beginning that could help. (speaking with my bass player hat on)

When I've played at church it was always pretty well rehearsed - you know what tight asses we Lutherans are! 8)

Talbot
#248629 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 pm
rehearsals and a play list would be the easy solutions
#248820 by Cajundaddy
Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:09 am
We always work with set lists with songs in a key to suit the singer. Often lead sheets are involved if the song is jazz gospel based with a lot of Bbm9b5 stuff. In the absence of a defined key, just go "Coltrane" where all 12 notes are fair game. 8)
#248899 by Planetguy
Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:17 pm
am i missing something???? does your keyboardist just pull songs out of her/his hat and launch into them that the band is unfamiliar with and hasn't played before?

do you not know the next song coming, and if it's a song you all know and presumably have rehearsed...does everyone not know how to play the song (and so know what key it's in)?

if the keyboardist is in fact just starting off tunes that the rest of the band doesn't know....can't they just turn around to the band and say "A", or "Bb" or whatever?
#264410 by frog511744
Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:35 pm
Worked for years with a keyboard player that would just launch into next song.If you can't find key in three bars you may be in the wrong business. Think basic chord progressions and you'll be fine. :D