This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#240798 by schmedidiah
Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:19 pm
Yep. Classical guitar is my first instrument. It's the foundation of how I play guitar. I need to pick it up once or twice a week and play all of my songs on it, just to clear out the cobwebs. Unfortunately, I can't really do that very often since I became a dad. So I go on the internet and get on people's nerves. :roll:
#240804 by schmedidiah
Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:09 pm
For me, it's the steel string. A total torture device. I need to play that sucker a lot! If I don't, I might as well stick my hands in a vice! :cry:
#240809 by MikeTalbot
Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:20 pm
The Gibson Firebird had the effect on me. I own a strat and a tele - good ones, but the Gibson ulocked the door to playing better than I ever thought I would.

The neck just happens to be exactly perfect for my hands and the sound for my ears.

Your instrument really does make a difference in how you play. I still my other guitars and of course, my bass guitars and love them all. But when it's serious - I reach for the Firebird.

Talbot
#240835 by J-HALEY
Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:58 pm
My favorite guitar is any guitar that is playable. I had a classical guitar when I was a teenager. Hadn't played a classical guitar for probably 25 years. One day I was in the paint shop at work. Another carpenter and friend had heard me talking about guitar, one of the painters had a classical guitar. My friend said I don't believe you can play guitar here play this guitar. I picked it up and played "Consuelo" a Spanish classical song I wrote and hadn't played in a while and I must say I tore that MFer UP! So much so that painter got pissed and jerked it out of my hands. He said it was like I raped his wife lol! Well that put that doubt to bed! :D I work at a university with 40,000 students and 15,000 faculty and staff. It is basically a small city and has everything a small city has, fully self contained. One day I was in a professors office installing a dry erase board and she had a fender acoustic in her office. I had to move her guitar and said "I never met a guitar I didn't like!
You can hear "Consuelo" on my player. When I recorded it I put to much lead guitar over it. It really is a song with just one guitar a little like Classical Gas with a more Spanish influence.
#240836 by schmedidiah
Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:18 pm
brendan61 wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:Yep. Classical guitar is my first instrument. It's the foundation of how I play guitar. I need to pick it up once or twice a week and play all of my songs on it, just to clear out the cobwebs. Unfortunately, I can't really do that very often since I became a dad. So I go on the internet and get on people's nerves. :roll:

So are you a new dad?

Yeah, a four year old boy. A terror!

Regarding strings, it's not really a factor for me (if I practice). I should have mentioned that my steel string is a cheap piece of garbage with horrible action. It needs an adjustment badly, but it's in line behind 3 other axes for the repair shop. I've always had trouble committing whatever funds I can spare for the musical gear to repairs, instead of gobbling up all of the pedals I've been coveting. :roll:
#240838 by schmedidiah
Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:29 pm
Regarding my four year old terror as a teen.... ignorance is bliss.
:D

As far as me doing my own repairs? No. I don't feel comfortable taking apart my stuff. I would certainly be painting myself into a corner, which would lead to me carrying my junk into the repair shop in a box, with a look on my face like the toddler who has painted an impressionist masterpiece with his own poop. After he got caught.
My dad was a mechanic. He can repair anything. I can't. And knowing that keeps me out of a lot a trouble.
#240847 by J-HALEY
Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:26 pm
Brendan, thank you so much for listening to my songs and the gracious comments!
My eldest son is 34, 33, 24, 21, 21, 19 I have 2 grandchildren. The wife and I are very much looking forward to being empty nesters not sure if that will ever happen. I have one Daughter 24. Little girls are special for sure! 2 of our kids are my stepsons but I have raised them since they were 6&8 so they really are like my own.