This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#240940 by Planetguy
Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I didn't know the necks were all the way through. Marco from Nightwish plays a Warwick and it always struck me a real playable bass with some punch.

Are those active pickups or just real snappy?

Talbot

it's a SUPER playable bass. great neck that's nothing like a FENDER. not much of a taper from the nut down to the heel.

i've got the action real low and use light gauge pure nickel 40-95 roundwonds. it's got the original active MEC p/u's (P in neck J in brdg) and a simple 2 band EQ.
4 knob layout... vol, pan(balance), bass, and treble. push pull/pot on the volume to go to passive mode which i never use.

it's the bass i always use when i'm playing somewhere w bad acoustics 'cos i can always dial in a tone that works.

Warwick does both neck thru and bolt ons. i really prefer bolt ons and this is my only "neck thru" bass....but it really does work on this instrument.
#240947 by MikeTalbot
Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:47 am
Damn man! Can't breathe! Must have one! 8)

But yeah - the next time I see money I'd like to check one of these out.

However - I've noticed in googling and store checking them that I see only low end Warwicks. (499-699.00) Are they really that cheap? (I may have to cut off that long horn in front)

Or am I looking for love in all the wrong places?

Talbot
#241009 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:40 pm
breathe, mike. breathe!

well, keeping in mind that those cheaper Warwicks are their import line....they're pretty good for a bass in that price range... but there is a world of difference between them and Warwick's first tier German line of basses.

i've only played a cpl of their imports....and they both had terrible setups so i couldn't really give 'em the fair shake they deserved.

one of them belongs to the daughter of the banjo guy in MERE MORTALS, jim. it sits in the corner of his living room covered in dust, as his daughter took off for college a few yrs ago and left it with her interest in playing....in the dust. (sorry).

if you like i can check w jim to see if he's interested in selling it. it's likely he might let it go fairly cheap. still, were i you....i'd wait til you're back on your feet and hold out for one of their higher dollar machines.

somewhere up here on BM there should be a thread mostly w me and john wilder (i forget his BM handle) discussing our WARWICK's. my Stage One Streamer and his Thumb Bass. it might be worth digging around for that thread.

bon chance!
#241017 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm
brendan61 wrote:
I still think The Flying Wallendas would be proud.

Wallenda THIS!

#241054 by Planetguy
Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:29 pm
believe it or not, it's actually a fairly common move for rockabilly bassists. there are even quite a few "how to" videos up on youtube.

rest assured you'll NEVER find me standing on my '38 KAY C-1 ! (i already heap ENOUGH abuse on her as it is)
#241065 by Planetguy
Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:29 pm
brendan61 wrote: By the way very cool vibes and bass on your playlist. I always loved the sound of the vibraphone.

so what...you don't like my guitar playing??? )-: ya just can't please some people!. i kid, i kid. :lol:

thanks for the compliments, brendan and thanks for checking out the tunes. you might find it interesting to know that the keyboard/synth sounds on those tunes were played on a malletKAT ( a synth for mallet players)

You got a lot of videos; I'll have to get to them.

true 'nuff. we be some videographin' fools. there's sooooo much ya can learn listening to recordings and watching videos of performances. (usually in my case it's what NOT to do)

i'm gonna check the videos i have up on my page and see if there are any where i'm actually playing vibes.

thanks again. :)
#248981 by JackD207
Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:52 am
My favorite guitar showed up here last spring. It was my uncles for many years before he passed and my cousin just shipped it because it was sitting in storage for ten years.

It's an old Guild with a curved back, I think from the sixties but not sure. It has many bar-scars and even what appears to be a hole from the tip of a pool cue in the front. (bar fight?)
The sound from it is amazing and it plays so easy I play a little almost every day. Doesn't hurt that it's from family either.
#249005 by MikeTalbot
Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am
Brenden

Somehow I managed to miss your kind critique of my music. I wasn't just blowing it off!

As to last two songs you mentioned with vox being too upfront and band in another room. I'm so used to ego burdened players who ignore the vocal that perhaps I over compensate. Plus I wanted the lyrics upfront as part of a marketing effort. I'll take a look at the mix.

But I had to laugh - you were so right. I didn't need a big Marshal cab or a Bass Stack blowing the singer out of the galaxy so that stuff stayed in my little studio and she sang in my office (studio annex B). 8) (while rehearsing - recorded separately but same effect)

cheers
Talbot
#249116 by MikeTalbot
Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 am
EB-0 I hear that. Used one for about six months when my primary was damaged. I never could figure out how Jack Bruce got such great sounds out of that thing.

Have P-Bass now plus a slick little Hohner V with active pickups.

Talbot
#251798 by Deadguitars
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:02 am
FB_IMG_1442270495215.jpg
The Frankenwolf
FB_IMG_1442270495215.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 2955 times