This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#238131 by michael1040257
Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:56 pm
I'm doing a business model for a class and if you could answer some of the following questions and tell me your view, it would be great. Thanks!

[*]What do you wish was offered by online music stores? Is there any problems or frustrations that you have with buying online? Do you have any solutions that you wish you could make happen?

[*]Do you personally use online sale and shipment of musical products?

[*]As far as ease of use, would conveniently placed audio samples of the (playable) musical product benefit you or do you prefer looking up YouTube previews? Or do you simply not buy a product you have not played for yourself?

[*]Do you have interest in pre-done upgrades to used instruments (With warranty already voided) before shipment? (Say you want to buy a guitar but plan on replacing pickups) would it be beneficial to you to select an add-on at checkout, and select the pick-up type, placement and wiring set up?

Attached are some pictures that may help you get a visual perspective of some of the questions

BusinessModelPic.JPG
BusinessModelPic.JPG (19.56 KiB) Viewed 2910 times

Pic2.JPG
Pic2.JPG (20.73 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
#238136 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:39 pm
[*]What do you wish was offered by online music stores? Is there any problems or frustrations that you have with buying online? Do you have any solutions that you wish you could make happen?

There's really only 4 of any consequence: Sweetwater, the Guitar Center congomerate (GC, MF, M123, B&W), American Musical and Reverb/Chicago Music Exchange.
Online browsing is easy. But some of hte sites make browsing harder than others (no right-clicking to open a new window, for example.)

All the time.

[*]As far as ease of use, would conveniently placed audio samples of the (playable) musical product benefit you or do you prefer looking up YouTube previews? Or do you simply not buy a product you have not played for yourself?
For some things that might be good to have - such as FX units.

[*]Do you have interest in pre-done upgrades to used instruments (With warranty already voided) before shipment? (Say you want to buy a guitar but plan on replacing pickups) would it be beneficial to you to select an add-on at checkout, and select the pick-up type, placement and wiring set up?
I would never buy an instrument online (again) without the option to try it out physically and return it for full refund (including shipping charges).
#238165 by michael1040257
Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:32 pm
Thanks for you replies! And MikeB, as far as the last question, I was thinking more of the manufacturers warranty. A used product would no longer be covered under the manufacturer so any upgrades or changes made won't hurt anything. Would this change your opinion on this? If the company offered it's own warranty and return policy
#238172 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:39 pm
michael1040257 wrote:Thanks for you replies! And MikeB, as far as the last question, I was thinking more of the manufacturers warranty. A used product would no longer be covered under the manufacturer so any upgrades or changes made won't hurt anything. Would this change your opinion on this? If the company offered it's own warranty and return policy

Nope, I wouldn't buy an instrument online without the ability to return it for full refund - you can buy a used guitar online from any Guitar Center there is, and you've got 30 days to try it out and return it to a local GC if you don't like it.
#238591 by DEB ERNEY
Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm
*]What do you wish was offered by online music stores? Is there any problems or frustrations that you have with buying online? Do you have any solutions that you wish you could make happen?
---------------------------------
I buy quite a bit online excluding my instruments, amps, speakers. A healthy return policy is always nice but sometimes hard to find the fine print on returns.
When buying instruments, amps or speakers I want to play/listen to sound of what I'm buying. I also want a knowledgeable representative to talk to about the item while choosing and someone who will be there when I have problems. I buy all my instruments from DANNY D'S GUITAR HACIENDA in League City, TX, also at http://www.dannyd.com. Very knowledgeable staff and so many beautiful guitars.
I bought a guitar from MUSICIANSFRIEND.COM, once ,and when I returned it I was charged postage both ways, over $80.
For my expensive equipment purchases I go to Sweetwater.com. Excellent service, extended 2 year warranty with what they sell and never a return postage for returns.

----------------------------------
Never instruments, amps or pa speakers, quite a bit of everything else; mixers, recording equipment, accessories.

--------------------------------
I like youtube.com because I can choose the home videos that have not been doctored up for actual sound. The company videos tend to be very polished and make everything sound great. You don't know what else they are using to get the sound from the item you are thinking of buying. I appreciate the straight up comparisons, no manipulation. I don't buy instruments or speakers online because I want to play/listen to them before purchase. I have bought mixers, recorders, DAW equipment, drum machines, strings, accessories online. Never anything large or heavy that will cost in return shipping.

[*]Do you have interest in pre-done upgrades to used instruments (With warranty already voided) before shipment? (Say you want to buy a guitar but plan on replacing pickups) would it be beneficial to you to select an add-on at
checkout, and select the pick-up type, placement and wiring set up?
-------------------------------
Danny D's Guitar Hacienda is the only repair shop I trust with my instruments. Don't trust the bigger chains. The staff is not as knowledgeable, nor as experienced, and most don't give a damn. I arrange with Danny to make any upgrade or changes prior to pickup.