This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#238060 by DainNobody
Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:58 pm
after much consideration, shopping for a multi-track recording machine (desiring DP-32 Portastudio) I have relegated to the fact I need to stick with learning the Ableton recording software that come as a package deal with my Line 6 Toneport UX-2.. I complained about pops, squeals etc. using the software in the past, but did not realize I could use the soundcard (ASIO) inside the UX-2 as mu recording card, and have actually recorded 1 track, successfully, I have not gotten that far as to multi-tracking, or even making a master, but before I get too far along, I need a drum machine that I can use and plug into an input on the toneport UX-2.. need suggestions? I hear Ableton LIVE PACK drum machine is amazingly good but at $249.00 I think I will pass for now.. I have not upgraded the Ableton software and the version I am using ONLY allows for recording 4 tracks and that's it.. I would like to dedicate 1 of those 4 tracks to percussion if possible since I won't need a separate track for bass drum, another for cymbals, another for tom-toms etc. what kind of digital drum machine is available for 50 bucks that is decent?
#238067 by Badstrat
Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:05 pm
Dane,

Send an e-mail to me.
#238439 by mistermikev
Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:35 am
well, first off, something that may help...
if you were to get a drum machine I'd recommend hooking it up via midi. record midi and you can alter it after the fact on the piano edit in ableton. you'll also be able to change the sound later - maybe pipe the midi to some good samples via abletons instrument rack. You can find loads of free quality samples at ultimatemetal.com and these will be a thousand times more realistic than any drum machine sounds IMHO.
you can just load midi files in ableton and pipe them to drum sounds.

long story short, the only reason i'd get a drum machine is for the pads.
that said... I've owned the dr660, dr770, zoom rt323, alesis hr?, and a few others. by far i liked the zoom rt323 because of the pad layout. good for bass/key and great for drums.
then again, for about 50-60 you can get an akai mpd16. no internal sounds but great pads.
ableton quantize is as good as any drum machine quantize I've used.
cheers
#238442 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 am
thanks mistermikev, I can actually play drums, no Neil Peart, or Cobham, but actually want to play a drum (like pads) to add to my tracks, especially if I upgrade to an Ableton version that has more than the 4 tracks I am limited to, that came with the Ableton version 5 Lite that was included in a package deal when I bought the Toneport UX-2.. if I get up to 24 tracks I will do the drums in "segments" and building it up layer by layer.. but most definitely, I thank you for the very good information, Zoom RT-323 is something I need to go look at..
#238443 by DainNobody
Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:43 am
#238449 by schmedidiah
Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:58 pm
Whoa! There's a member in Phoenix! (Besides the gangster rapper in mesa and the Wilson Pickett sideman who surely hates my guts :lol: )
#238590 by DEB ERNEY
Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:46 pm
An audio buffer size setting set too low or on a wrong size might be responsible for crackles and drop outs.
To change the Audio Buffer Size go to Preferences → Audio.
Always use a value expressed in powers of two: 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024.
Note that a larger buffer size will improve your system performance, but at the same time it will also increase the audio latency.

A couple of websites that have been crucial in my recording growth;
HomeRecording.com
GearSlutz.com
AudioFanzine.com