This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#235697 by gbheil
Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:42 pm
Looking for ideas on what you consider the best way to play special effects / backing tracks in live settings?
Considering a loop pedal that is up-loadable with files from my computer.
Something that sound effects ( like the sound of a thunderstorm can be played as intro to LET IT RAIN ) can be easily manipulated on/ off by a guitar player or vocalist.

Ideas ?
#235699 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:56 pm
The best way (for a band) would be to have everything running to a click track. But then you need a drummer who can play

If you are playing along with recordings the band has made, you could also have a keyboard player who has all the tracks from your recordings that can be muted/highlighted individually when you play

Or, you could play along to a recording of the various effects/tracks you want.

Since I go solo most of the time and use backing tracks quite often, I've put my entire concert on video that runs from my computer and basically perform "live" to a movie running on the projector screen. Then I can also use video clips in the short space between songs to promote merchandise or make special announcements.
#235700 by gbheil
Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:26 pm
Computer option was considered.
We rarely use backing tracks. When we do it's for things like the aforementioned "thunderstorm" intro.
Also have attempted to get band approval for a 'specials' person. A musician to fill in the gaps whether or not it's some acoustic guitar work, keyboard pads or other effects, so that our vocalist can focus only on vocals and working the crowd.
Thanks for the input.
Good food for thought.
#235735 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 am
Yeah, special sounds like a thunderstorm can be done by a computer backing track (controlled by someone with a free hand/finger to cue it), or by loading the sounds into loops on a looper pedal. The clicktrack option only applies for full-band/strings/etc type backing tracks.
#235757 by gbheil
Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Yeah, special sounds like a thunderstorm can be done by a computer backing track (controlled by someone with a free hand/finger to cue it), or by loading the sounds into loops on a looper pedal. The clicktrack option only applies for full-band/strings/etc type backing tracks.

And this is why I'm considering the foot-switch option.
We are all busy playing or setting "stage presence" screwing around with a computer / CD player ETC is a distraction.
We already do it this way in rehearsal.
#235770 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:23 pm
That wouldn't be hard to do.

Since this is in an intro and it is a sound that doesn't have to be synchronized to a beat, you simply put 10 seconds (or however long) of silence before the sound effect.

Anyone (even the drummer!) can start that playing from the stage, then count off for the band to start the song, and it will come in after you've started playing.
#235786 by gbheil
Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm
yod wrote:That wouldn't be hard to do.

Since this is in an intro and it is a sound that doesn't have to be synchronized to a beat, you simply put 10 seconds (or however long) of silence before the sound effect.

Anyone (even the drummer!) can start that playing from the stage, then count off for the band to start the song, and it will come in after you've started playing.

LMBO

Simple ( probably why I did not think of it ) . . . I like it !
Drummer is the one member less 'scripted' for stage presence . . . my little shirt pocket MP3 player would work for that idea.
Gonna try it Thursday.
#236422 by Cajundaddy
Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 pm
Agreed. Drummer is usually the best for handling tracks. They push the button, let it run, and count off the band. We use click or backing tracks often for worship music and the drummer handles the cues.
#237012 by gtZip
Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:08 pm
BOSS Loop Station.
Add sound clips. Step on appropriate button at the appropriate time.

Often times you'll need the keep the song at the designed tempo though, so make sure the drummer is steady. Sometimes you can use a metronome blinky light thing on his snare rim.