This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#230774 by jw123
Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 pm
Planet Guy my name is John Wilder in Memphis Tn on FB, I will try to find you but if not, send me a friend request. Theres actually a couple of videos on there of me playing with a group named Basket Case a couple of weeks ago, Im using my P-Bass on those videos, so you can critique my playing! LOL!

#231364 by Planetguy
Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:06 pm
jw123 wrote:Planet Guy my name is John Wilder in Memphis Tn on FB, I will try to find you but if not, send me a friend request. Theres actually a couple of videos on there of me playing with a group named Basket Case a couple of weeks ago, Im using my P-Bass on those videos, so you can critique my playing! LOL!

john, I've tried to find you but no go. sorry, I'm NOT a facebook guy! I do have a FB account under the aka Argus Narr just so I can get around on FB when need be. (you can see from my FB page just how little time I spend there!)

anyway...I DO want to check out your photos and vids! perhaps you can friend me on my page ... https://www.facebook.com/argus.narr

#231368 by jw123
Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:43 pm
argus I sent you a freind request a couple of weeks ago

#231384 by Planetguy
Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:19 pm
hmm, i didn't see it when i was last there.

or ....would it go to the email acct they have on file for me?

they have an old derelict peoplepc acct that i gave them because i was tired of my inbox filling up daily w booshit from FB.

#231413 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:09 pm
Planetguy wrote:hmm, i didn't see it when i was last there.

or ....would it go to the email acct they have on file for me?

they have an old derelict peoplepc acct that i gave them because i was tired of my inbox filling up daily w booshit from FB.

Just sent you a friend request and 'suggested' JW and Neanderpaul, too.

#231424 by Planetguy
Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:40 pm
thanks mike. will they show on my FB page or go to my (derelict) email acct that FB uses to send me notifications? guess i could just go to my FB page and check there! :shock:
#236786 by newmusicmichael
Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:05 pm
I agree, it's nice to have a backup. I got an Ibanez SR300 last year that I really like, active humbuckers. I recently upgraded my Squier P-Bass with DiMarzio pickups so it's a great "1A" now instead of just a backup.
#236924 by Planetguy
Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:02 pm
fletch1027449 wrote: No badass bridges allowed. It's hype for the most part.

strongly disagree.

i have a number of basses but my "number one" is a pretty heavily modified '63 Pbass. this was my very first bass that i picked it up in a pawn shop in NYC for $75. this was around 1978. (it's the one i'm playing in my avatar). i own and have owned many basses over the yrs but 40 yrs later it's still my baby.

so, after i had it for a cpl of yrs i came into a Badass brdg. and even though it was a direct replacement that mounts w no mods...i couldn't bear to mess with the "originality" of this classic '63 P bass. well, one day my curiosity got the better of me and i couldn't believe the difference in tone. not to mention ease of adjustment (height/intonation) that it made.

this was a life changer for me AND the bass because knowing that i'd NEVER sell this bass and so, not worried about keeping it original for better resale value....little by little i started making mods to it that both made it a better playing/sounding instrument .....AND hurt it's resale value!

it's mods:

Bartolini p/u's w added J (it can still cop a passive P growl...but also do more modern things as well)
Grover tuning machines (huge improvement on the orig FENDERS w their ton of play and slop)
I countersunk the Badass bridge 3/16" into the body
added string guide for the low E and A and moved the other for the G and closer to the nut

i've added a Badass to other basses over the yrs and to my ears it was always a marked improvement.

you can see and hear me playing that bass here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEVx76CjgY
#237011 by gtZip
Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 pm
jw123 wrote:I currently have an old P Bass, really nice one, active EMGs, Baddass tailpiece.

But recently I have been asked to play some bass and thought I would add a bass.

Ive looked at some Ibanez's, and I also like a Warwick Thumb bass. Spector is another Ive looked at, I like the Doug Wimbish models.

Just curious what would the bass players on here would get if they had thier choice.

I want a full scale 34 inch neck, but I want a light compact bass that sounds good.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Music Man Stingray
#237602 by Planetguy
Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm
fletch1027449 wrote:I agree to disagree in a friendly way. A badass bridge does absolutely nothing for the tone of a bass. All it does is add a little sustain at best.

well, i appreciate you keeping it friendly. but i still have to disagree. tone/sound is pretty damn subjective and i stand by what i said about my exp w them. every bass that i've changed out to a BA....noticeable improvement (to my ears) and not just sustain. stronger fundamental and better/clearer overtones.

I'm sure I have purchased at least 10 of those.

sorry but this begs the question...why. if you're not a fan?

You can't make some Fender basses sound better no matter what you do to them.

well, i don't know that i agree w that 100%.....even real dog can be improved somewhat....but, yeah they are amazingly dissimilar from instrument to instrument.

The BA was like the 1st replacement bridge for a Fender bass so everyone jumped on the bandwagon back in the day. Even guys like Geddy Lee. I took the BA off both of my Geddy Lee Jazzes and noticed a lttle more clear sound. I thought the basses sounded better- but that's an opinion and everyone especially musicians have them. A lot. :D

yep..."everyone"! there's that subjective thing i was talking about. i remember when the BA's first came out. that was a huge thing and booming new business.....parts to mod your instruments. bridges w more mass, after mkt pickups, brass nuts, Fat Finger for the headstock, etc.... i always crack up watching old Midnight Special, D. Kirschner's Rock Concert, and youtubes from that era......seems like EVERYONE had some mods on their instruments!