This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#229271 by jw123
Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 pm
Just curious if anyone here has replaced pickups in an Ibanez RG guitar.

A couple of monthes ago I bought an Ibanez.

For the record Im a Les Paul Classic kinda guy, thats what I play most of the time.

I was in GC one day and saw a used Ibanez at a very attractive price, Ive always wanted a locking trem kind of guitar, so I picked it up. Strummed a few chords with out an amp, and it sounded really good. So I bought it.

I am having trouble with the way it sounds on an amp, of course my LPs have me spoiled.

I looked up the Dimarzio site and have been browseing pick ups, but i just dont know which direction to go.

I notice that Steve Vai has some pickups he developed and since he uses an Ibanez Im thinking of getting some.

Just wondering if anyone on here has an Ibanez and what pickups you are using.

Thanks

#229305 by Deadguitars
Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 pm
I dig the Ibbys .....
Best pic I have of my RG-550 - way back in the day .....
Bought it brand new - I havent done anything to it ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_RG
Then there is Frankenwolf - '78 Musician
Dimarzio Super 2s and a HSN 3 ( I forget which model )

I have a Strat and put a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge spot ... love it

#229306 by Deadguitars
Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 pm
Be cool if you had one of those pick guards w PUPs that was swappable easy ....

What dont you like about the PUps ?
Been awhile since I have picked my RG up ....

#229341 by jw123
Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:33 pm
Dead it just doesnt come across good thru an amp, the guitar sounds good acoustically but I just cant get it dialed in with an amp to suit me.

I dont really know how to describe what I dont like, and like I said Im used to LPs which sound good no matter how I eq an amp, I even put my MXR 10 band eq in front of it and cant seem to dial it in.

#229359 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:19 am
Which RG? H-H or H-S-H configuration? I've got a RG520QSB. I bought that one because I really wanted an RG with a good trem and this model had a mahogany body like a LP. My other Ibby was Basswood so I was looking for something different I never changed the pups in that. It has R7 & R8 humbuckers and an original Edge trem. Nice guitar. I played it guitar for about 10 years before the frets started needed work. It's in need of a fret leveling or possibly a full on fret job and a set up now so I don't use it much anymore. I've been thinking of getting fixed up and putting it back in rotation. It was a really fun guitar to play and I kind of miss it.

I had a '81 DT400CS years ago that I bought new when I was in hiugh school. I put Duncans in that when the Super 70s pups crapped out. I used a '59 in the neck slot and a C5 at the bridge. I really liked those.

You will need something F spaced because of the trem. Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone Zones are a popular combination in RG's.

#229614 by Steve B
Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm
I been using Tone Zones in the bridge position for 3 of my guitars. Such a versatile pickup, very tweakable too.