This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#227859 by thebandsayshi
Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 pm
Just wondering what drum kit set up is recommended for a young band. I'm not looking for anything expensive, but I don't need tin cans either. Any advice?

#227864 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 pm
Budget? What type of music? What type of venues? Does the set have to be miked? What equipment do you have now? What is your level of experience?

#227910 by Paleopete
Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:32 pm
Ludwig, Slingerland, Tama or Pearl.

I love the sound of a marching snare but most drummers won't use them. Anyway, snare, high hat, 2 cymbals, one ride tom, one floor tom, bass drum. That's a very basic kit and should work for whatever you need. That's exactly the kit the best drummer I've ever played music with had. He rarely used most of it, he believed in being a metronome.

To me, bass drum, snare one cymbal and high hat would suffice, the drummer is there to keep time, I couldn't care less if he can't play any fancy fills. Camp out on the tempo I set and you're the best drummer in town. That's what the drummer I mentioned above used in band practice. And he could still give you some killer fills on just the snare...and keep almost perfect time.

You don't need a huge set, you need the ability to keep the tempo right where it started.
#227911 by Dale Mathis
Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:53 pm
thebandsayshi wrote:Just wondering what drum kit set up is recommended for a young band. I'm not looking for anything expensive, but I don't need tin cans either. Any advice?

I have a son in his mid 20s..he and similarly age drummers go very basic......mounted tom, floor tom, ride, couple of crashes of course in addition to the snare, hats and kick, which is in large contrast to what i have grown comfortable with. It's not about how many drums you can play or cymbals you can crash...it's about great tempo..being in the pocket so to speak.

Mike Portnoy is a superb example of how a drummer with a mega huge kit can play a very simple kit and sound as equally great. Check out Mike Portnoy with dream Theater in contrast to his work with Winery Dogs.

Lastly...there are lots of great kits reasonably priced that sound great! Shop around.

#227943 by Paleopete
Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:09 pm
You don't need a big set unless you can play like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvduQgk3vSg

Notice how much he uses just the snare?

This is the one I saw when it was aired. Amazing...camped out on snare a lot again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7whiEsV594

And he's still not using a "big" set...1st clip he's using Ed Shaunessy's set, 2nd one I think it's his own, pretty much the basic drum set I see in 90% of the bar gigs I go to.

#227945 by Paleopete
Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 pm
Speaking of drummers, I just stumbled onto this.

Wanna be intimidated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7M_OMjkDcQ

#228008 by Dale Mathis
Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 am
Paleopete wrote:Speaking of drummers, I just stumbled onto this.

Wanna be intimidated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7M_OMjkDcQ

I watch Mike Mangini on drums when I as a (cough cough) drummer want to be intimidated to the point of burning my sticks and using my cymbals for frisbees....LOL!!!

#228092 by Paleopete
Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:23 pm
I can watch the drunk playing drums down at any local bar and be intimidated...I'm that good...lol...I basically suck at drums, I can play them a little but not well so it doesn't take much to make me feel like throwing my sticks away. Don't have any cymbals...just a practice pad...

#228126 by gbheil
Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 am
Electronic kit . . . head phone anywhere for practice and can be linked into a PA to fit any size venue.

#228136 by Dale Mathis
Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 am
Paleopete wrote:I can watch the drunk playing drums down at any local bar and be intimidated...I'm that good...lol...I basically suck at drums, I can play them a little but not well so it doesn't take much to make me feel like throwing my sticks away. Don't have any cymbals...just a practice pad...

Now thats funny!!!! Diggin it!

#229526 by TJS 1
Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:38 am
As a drummer myself here is what I would get. I use Ludwig but it is up to you. Snare, bass drum, double tom toms on bass, floor tom tom. High hat, 20 inch ride, or 20 inch ride crash, 18 inch crash and 16 inch crash. Zildjian or Paste. You can find nice sets in Guitar Centers, or on Craigs List. Good luck. Write back and let me know what you do.
Thanks

#230374 by John Vincente Hidalgo
Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:40 am
There is some good advice being given on this question . whatever set up you go with dont cheat yourself do research go on craigslist look for drums where the shells are either maple or birch because buying used is going to get you a much better kit than spending the same money new same with cymbals
#279189 by DesertDrums
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 am
Loads of good advice here. All I would add is to be a bit wary of sales people. There are a lot of good, knowledgeable, honest folks out there. But there are also those who want to sell something they've been unable to unload for a while. Do lots of research. Know what you're looking at. If you're being pressured to "take advantage of this deal right now!", back away.
#288807 by josh1294319
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:28 pm
If it starting out maybe just a simple 4 or 3 piece pearl centerstage or tama imperialstar kit would b ideal for just starting out