This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#222523 by mistermikev
Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 pm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/skullytonefx/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Some here know I build pedals, and on occasion I've been asked to build something for a few of you...
Just wanted to take a moment to shamelessly promote myself as I'm about to relocate and am blowing out some personal builds (link above) at very reasonable prices in order to lighten the load.

PS: jw... I might be visiting by you soon... any shows in october?[/url]

#222529 by gbheil
Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:33 am
Hope you don't mind.
Shared the link with my FB friends.
Many are musicians.

#222530 by mistermikev
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 am
no, I don't mind at all, I appreciate that Sans.

btw, have you ever visited the carvin store? I used to live in la and loved to go in there. Man they make some of the best guitars and amps a guy could want. It was really a treat to walk into a store that literally doesn't have anything crappy. Haven't been there since the mid 90's and I wonder what it's like now.

#222543 by gbheil
Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:35 pm
No sir.
All my Carvin 'shopping' has been on line.
They have some truly great products.
And a few, I have learned to avoid.
Their plastic cabinet speakers ( I just avoid plastic cabs from everyone now )
And their guitar wireless systems. I have never been able to get one to function properly. Despite return, replacements, and hours of 'tech support'.
I finally just said screw it.
LINE 6 makes the best economical guitar wireless for working musicians IMO.

#222549 by jw123
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 pm
Mike we are flying in our bassist from Toledo for a show Oct 26th in Covington Tn. Very Small Place but it is a Halloween Party. I will be gone til the 4th of Oct. So remessage me here or something between now and then if you are going to be in town. This is my band Aint Yo Mama, which I have been a part of for 25 years.

#222560 by mistermikev
Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:46 pm
"Oct 26th in Covington Tn"
looks like a bit of a drive from mem, but perhaps I can make it. Halloween party sounds like a ball. I'll track you down a bit closer to the date. Any dive blues bars you can recommend while I'm there?
EDIT: that won't get me killed that is!

"All my Carvin 'shopping' has been on line."
I looked up the hwood shop and dang... they used to be in a little 20x10 storefront on sunset. Guess they've expanded.
kind of surprised to hear they don't do EVERYTHING good. At least their guitars and amps seem to be pretty solid.

#222566 by J-HALEY
Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 pm
mistermikev wrote:"Oct 26th in Covington Tn"
looks like a bit of a drive from mem, but perhaps I can make it. Halloween party sounds like a ball. I'll track you down a bit closer to the date. Any dive blues bars you can recommend while I'm there?
EDIT: that won't get me killed that is!

"All my Carvin 'shopping' has been on line."
I looked up the hwood shop and dang... they used to be in a little 20x10 storefront on sunset. Guess they've expanded.
kind of surprised to hear they don't do EVERYTHING good. At least their guitars and amps seem to be pretty solid.

Mistermike, I have the Carvin V3M and the X100B and love them Both! They are awesome amps! If I ever replace my Strat (it's getting old) I will probably get a Carvin equivalent. I also use their in ear monitor systems. Great gear and reasonably priced really the best deals out there!

#222567 by mistermikev
Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 am
yeah, I've got a guitar from them and over the years it developed a bit of a bow to the neck but I still love it. To be fair it was a "blank" from back in the day when you could just buy a body/neck unfinished. Back then I think I paid $200 for it which was an absolute steal for a neck thru (you know, before cnc).

afa amps: good enough for steve vai is good enough for me and then some! Would so love to try a legacy!

#222572 by gbheil
Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 am
Dang it.

Now I have to look into the in ear system.

Recently installed a headphone mixer to my rack.

It works really well except now I want one of the Carvin mixers with the six monitor channels instead of four.

Thanks Jeff :evil:

:wink:

#222585 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:52 pm
An instrument is ALL how you play it (and what you plug it into). A guy was playing a Carvin at the open mic 2 weeks ago, I think it was this one: http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/dc400
plugged into a multi-effects pedal and into the PA system. It sounded terrrible. He had the compression dialed up too far for a few songs, so when he tried to play loud it got over-compressed and sounded softer. The distortion was fizzy. Simple fact - don't play an electric through the PA unless you've got a REAL GOOD fx box like the Line 6 HD500.

#222587 by mistermikev
Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 pm
here I go playing devil's advocate again...

while I'm sure evh would have no problem playing a cheap guitar and sounding good... especially today's cheap guitars that are made on a cnc... I'd bet even yngwie malmsteen himself would have a hard time playing Icarus' Dream Suite Opus 4 on a hondo from 1986 with "bow and arrow" action, where intonation is impossible, keeping it in tune was impossible, and the hum sounds like an oncoming freight train.

my point being: it's like the old saying "money doesn't buy happiness but it sure makes being unhappy a lot more tolerable"
the 1/16th action on a carvin makes the best of a bad situation. I bet if that same guy had been playing that hondo it'd have been much worse!

Some of us (myself included) need all the help we can get whether that be a good guitar or a magic amulet.

#222590 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 pm
mistermikev wrote:yeah, I've got a guitar from them and over the years it developed a bit of a bow to the neck but I still love it. To be fair it was a "blank" from back in the day when you could just buy a body/neck unfinished. Back then I think I paid $200 for it which was an absolute steal for a neck thru (you know, before cnc).

afa amps: good enough for steve vai is good enough for me and then some! Would so love to try a legacy!

I purchased the V3M 3 years ago and love it. I wanted a more classic sounding amp and decided on the X100B Version IV. It is basically the same amp as the Legacy I toiled whether or not to get that amp instead of the X100B. I NEVER use the third channel on the V3M and that is why I decided on the X100. The only other difference I could tell between the Legacy and X100 is of course size weight and the Legacy has midi for controlling. I don't use Midi or a 3rd channel!

#222591 by J-HALEY
Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:41 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Dang it.

Now I have to look into the in ear system.

Recently installed a headphone mixer to my rack.

It works really well except now I want one of the Carvin mixers with the six monitor channels instead of four.

Thanks Jeff :evil:

:wink:

Sorry George! You won't regret that in ear system. The new ones are built better and simply a better unit than the one I have. The only thing is eventually you'll want better earbuds. The ones that come with that unit are okay but there is so much better Buds and the ones that come with the unit are great backups! :P
#222595 by Deadguitars
Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:55 pm
mistermikev wrote:http://www.ebay.com/sch/skullytonefx/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Some here know I build pedals, and on occasion I've been asked to build something for a few of you...
Just wanted to take a moment to shamelessly promote myself as I'm about to relocate and am blowing out some personal builds (link above) at very reasonable prices in order to lighten the load.

PS: jw... I might be visiting by you soon... any shows in october?[/url]

Have you ever done a Mutron clone ?

#222617 by mistermikev
Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:15 pm
no, haven't done a mutron. I've thought about doing one for myself because they do sound boss. Unfortunately it is such a large circuit that A) I'm not even sure it will fit in a 1590A and B) if I build one to sell I'd have to charge more than most would pay due to the complexity.

Similarly, I have had this wah enclosure that's been sitting in limbo for about 2yrs. The design is a wah + autowah + volume + booster... with a variable q, and all sorts of bells and whistles... even etched the pcb for it... but I guess because i was never looking forward to wiring it up it's just sat there. That and the fact that I can build and sell five distortions in the time it would take me to get that one done!