This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#220706 by AJ6stringsting
Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:29 am
A few months back, I bought an old Digitech 2112 rack guitar processor with two 12ax7 tubes.
I've been playing it with the dual Distortion paths the majority of the time. I recently ran my Digitech RP-1 and RP-12 up front. I've created some mean simulations of Soldano, VHT/ Freyette, Carvin. Marshall, Mesa-Boogie, Peavey, Fender, Egnator, Traynor, Bugera and other amps. This thing really is vicious when I gain stack the distortion channels beyond belief and it still plays articulately with fine definition. The tone doesn't get lost at all with all that gain and distortion. The nuances of the picking attack : soft, hard, the type of pickups being used or when I hit pinch harmonics, it is still there with articulate clarity.
It so cool, I can now have any amp sound I want. And the dual S disc chips have no drop when I change patches, it blends so smoothly between patches.
One guy told me to never get rid of it because it's going to be a serious collectors item like my old 60's Univibe and Rp-1 and 12.

#220741 by gbheil
Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:55 pm
Sweet !
Like living in a guitarist dream.

#220811 by jw123
Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 pm
Those were some great units, you could pair if with a tube stereo amp like a Mesa 2:90 into a stereo 4x12 cab and have a hell of a setup

#220892 by AJ6stringsting
Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:41 pm
I'm running ( in order) : Boss GE 7 EQ, a Seymour Duncan Pick up booster , a VHT Valvulator, Digitech RP-1, Digitech RP-12 , another VHT Valvulator then to a Rack with two 31 band EQ's, Rocktron Hush units for noise reduction, a parametric EQ with BBE sonic maximizers then it goes in to my Digitech 2112.
It's very clean , mean and pristine. I can get any amp ever made : various models of Soldanos, VHT / Freyettes, Marshall's, Carvin's, Fender's, Mesa Boogie's, Peavey's and mega gain Rectified Amp monsters.
It's the older 1.0 version Dual S Disc processing with out the 2120 upgrade others tend to modify on the 2112. The two tubes ( 12AX7's) sure make this beauty shine. Now I can keep my other amps home and safe.

#220963 by mistermikev
Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 pm
I've had a 2112 for years (99')and still go back to it often - great pre.

You might consider the 2120 chip. Presets by satriani, the odd penny, korn, frank gamble, reeves gabriels, steve morse, etc, additional fx, etc. The chip is easy to slap in, doesn't cost much and you can always slap the old chip back in if you really want to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitech-2112-2120-VGS-Firmware-OS-Ver-2-11-USA-/350803450784?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item51ad83dba0
$15 well spent imo.

One of my fav things to do is to make things touch sensitive. You can set up any parameter to react to how hard you play the guitar... delay time, feedback, chorus depth, tube saturation, the list goes on and on.

anywho, in case you run xp... rpedit works on the 2112/2120 allowing you to midi up to your computer and edit the device via a gui... download patches from others, etc.

It's nice to see someone else enjoying there's as much as I enjoy mine! Think I'll go turn it on and play a while - thanks for that.[/url]

#220982 by AJ6stringsting
Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:39 am
mistermikev wrote:I've had a 2112 for years (99')and still go back to it often - great pre.

You might consider the 2120 chip. Presets by satriani, the odd penny, korn, frank gamble, reeves gabriels, steve morse, etc, additional fx, etc. The chip is easy to slap in, doesn't cost much and you can always slap the old chip back in if you really want to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitech-2112-2120-VGS-Firmware-OS-Ver-2-11-USA-/350803450784?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item51ad83dba0
$15 well spent imo.

One of my fav things to do is to make things touch sensitive. You can set up any parameter to react to how hard you play the guitar... delay time, feedback, chorus depth, tube saturation, the list goes on and on.

anywho, in case you run xp... rpedit works on the 2112/2120 allowing you to midi up to your computer and edit the device via a gui... download patches from others, etc.

It's nice to see someone else enjoying there's as much as I enjoy mine! Think I'll go turn it on and play a while - thanks for that.[/url]

I have the RPEdit, it doesn't work too well on my Windows 7 .... maybe I'll go unpack my old XP Computer !!!!

#221034 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 pm
or setup a dual boot system.

#221350 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 am
I've got a ValveFX I've used for years as a practice amp with a MosValve 1160. I've had it since the '90s. I have the Control One for that too but it suddenly stopped working. Buttons don't switch anything. I think it has a static electricity blown FET issue. I just never got around to fixing it. They are certainly a lot of fun to mess around with. I have an Art Ultrafoot that I used with it prior and that developed the same issue. I fixed that one once by soldering sockets in place of the bad chips and inserting new chips but the problem occurred again some months later. I guess using them on a carpeted floor wasn't such a great idea. :lol:

#221351 by mistermikev
Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:40 am
not doubting you at all, but i've had my control 1 on the floor with velcro for over 10 years... never had a problem. Then again, i haven't plugged it in in a while so who knows.

#221369 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:11 pm
Speculation on my part since both units had the same type of failure. I looked into it with the Ultrafoot and saw it was a pretty common failure with that one. I was able to download a schematic and replacement instructions which made the repair pretty easy but never found similar info on the Control One so that unit has been sitting in it's original shipping carton for the last 7 or more years. It's too bad because I really like that controller. The Ultrafoot is as big as a pedalboard so I ended up buying a Midimouse to do the switching which is bare bones but is as small as a stomp box so it easily fits on my pedalboard and has worked without crapping out. I do miss the parameter change pedal though.

Ultrafoot fix:

Replace those with sockets and then you can easily replace them when the crap out.
Last edited by Lizzy Janes Rescue on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#221408 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 am
for me... I haven't played off my couch in a while so... the front interface works pretty good but I do miss the crazy wah patches you could come up with - blending dist as you wah up or down. might have to hook it up again and see if it works.