This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#215939 by J-HALEY
Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 pm
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/X100B

I am thinking of getting this amp. It is a two channel amp and is a re-make of the original popular in the 80's. I really like carvin amps. I have the V3M but am looking to get an amp with different tubes as the V3M has EL84's. This amp has EL34's. After reading the reveiws and listening to the demo's I am really interested in fact "I got a fever". It is between this and the new Legacy. This amp is $270.00 cheaper than the Legacy. As far as I can tell it is really the same amp just with 2 channels instead of 3 and no midi thru. My V3M has 3 channels and I almost never use the 3rd channel and can really do without it altogether. If anyone has any experience or idea's your advise will be appreciated thanks in advance!

#215947 by gbheil
Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:40 pm
We just never know till we have them in hand for a while do we Jeff.

Sadly two of my Carvin amps do not but collect dust since I purchased the Class 5 Marshall.

#215950 by J-HALEY
Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm
sanshouheil wrote:We just never know till we have them in hand for a while do we Jeff.

Sadly two of my Carvin amps do not but collect dust since I purchased the Class 5 Marshall.

Is 5 watts loud enough?

#215957 by gbheil
Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:03 am
J-HALEY wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:We just never know till we have them in hand for a while do we Jeff.

Is 5 watts loud enough?

Way loud enough Jeff.
Too loud as a matter of fact for some of the small venues we play.
I have, on several occasions placed it into a closet nearby to control the levels.
With the Sennheiser e 609 Microphone into the board, I can cover any venue our system will carry. And it records well also.
It's a class A amp, and I generally run it @ 8 -10 on the volume, treb & mids, with the bass almost off ( gets muddy when you turn the bass up) and vary the distortion levels with the pots / pu switch on my ES339 to meet the needs of the song.

The guys and I love the crunch, and the clean tone, off the neck PU with a little delay added is pretty sweet too.

#216809 by J-HALEY
Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:12 pm
Yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered this amp head. They informed me yesterday evening it had shipped. From all the online demos and reviews this thing seems to be just what I am looking for. I'll let you guy's know how it turns out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6W83a2lQ7M

#216812 by gbheil
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:42 pm
8)

#217970 by J-HALEY
Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:56 am
Well I got the amp head and have used it at 3 gigs and I can't say enough about it. I have it set on the 25 watt setting. It has 6L6 power tubes. The dirty sound is Very close to a Mesa Mark IV and the clean is the best I have ever heard! You might say I am "happy happy happy"!

#217971 by gbheil
Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:08 am
Love to hear some samples from her. Post some more videos!

#217987 by J-HALEY
Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 am
sanshouheil wrote:Love to hear some samples from her. Post some more videos!

They shot some video of our July 4th gig 5000 plus attendance! When I get a copy Ill try to post it!

#218009 by gbheil
Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 pm
Sweet !

#220705 by AJ6stringsting
Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:09 am
J-HALEY wrote:Well I got the amp head and have used it at 3 gigs and I can't say enough about it. I have it set on the 25 watt setting. It has 6L6 power tubes. The dirty sound is Very close to a Mesa Mark IV and the clean is the best I have ever heard! You might say I am "happy happy happy"!

I have a 1986 Carvin X-100 B, it took over as my prime amp, after my Marshall JCM 800 took a dump. No matter what the cork sniffing gear snobs think, it ROCKS. Back in the 80's, the Marshall and Mesa-Boogie crowd's prejudice against the amp died as soon as they heard what it could do.

#220734 by Starfish Scott
Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm
I've heard those Carvin X-100 B's and they are pretty cool sounding.

More than once I've heard of them being referred to as "JCM 800 Killers", as they tend to be cheaper and more versatile.

Carvin stuff in general seems to get a very good rep from players in general.
I know a few people at bmix swear by them as well.

#220736 by gbheil
Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:36 pm
Starfish Scott wrote:I've heard those Carvin X-100 B's and they are pretty cool sounding.

More than once I've heard of them being referred to as "JCM 800 Killers", as they tend to be cheaper and more versatile.

Carvin stuff in general seems to get a very good rep from players in general.
I know a few people at bmix swear by them as well.

I find this to be true "in general" but I've gotten some turds from them too.
Their plastic enclosure speakers . . . not impressed.
Love the one's with the birch cabs though.
Their guitar wireless . . . only kindness will keep me from cursing right now.
Cables, snakes, mixers, rack gear, ETC have also given us good service.