This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#210310 by mistermikev
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 pm
lots of great advice here, one piece that stands out is to try some things first.
Ease of use is a huge factor for me, may not be for you.
Most software has a trial version so go and give some things a shot

afa sound cards, make sure your mic pre is accompanied by a good power supply.
I use a mixer and an maudio interface w/o mic pres so they are separate.

I have both a mackie vlz pro and a behringer ub series. In theory they ought to be pretty close in sound quality (I've heard behringer copied a lot of the mackie design and even got sued...).
In practice the behringer employs a cheap power supply and the difference in the amount of noise I get using either was a rude awakening.

not sure how other behringer models stack up, either way wish I had done some more comparisons!

#210312 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 pm
Good point - some interfaces rely on USB power, and don't do a good job when it comes to supplying phantom power.

My experience with Behringer preamps was a mixer I took back the next day, they were noisy beyond belief. I picked up a Mackie mixer with much better preamps.

#210331 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 am
hmm, so I guess the behringer thing wasn't "just me" then... good to know.

#221163 by shakyo
Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 pm
Now that Logic X is available for 200 bucks, I'd recommend it. If you need to work with Pro Tools, you can export OMF files.

I'll also put in a good word for Digital Performer; it'll run PT hardware, do the OMF thing. Is extremely reliable, very good plug-ins. VERY cleanly written.

Also, if you don't need midi or lots of plug-ins, MotU's interfaces come with a cut-down free version called Audiodesk, arguably the best audio quality 'in the box' for freeware like this.

#221164 by shakyo
Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 pm
Now that Logic X is available for 200 bucks, I'd recommend it. If you need to work with Pro Tools, you can export OMF files.

I'll also put in a good word for Digital Performer; it'll run PT hardware, do the OMF thing. Is extremely reliable, very good plug-ins. VERY cleanly written.

Also, if you don't need midi or lots of plug-ins, MotU's interfaces come with a cut-down free version called Audiodesk, arguably the best audio quality 'in the box' for freeware like this.