This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#203313 by Drjuanitor
Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:59 pm
so im new here. basically im looking to make my own mini home studio, just to record my drumset and guitars. Im not sure what all i need to do this with. I have a budget of 1500$. if someone could link all the require things to do this with, that would be awesome. the only reason im resulting in making my own mini studio is because i have no one in my area to band up with. so any help from you guys would be much appreciated. thanks.

#203316 by gbheil
Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Research research research . . . there are a myriad of different ways to do this.
Consider 1) What is the final product you wish to receive ?
2) What are the requirements of the instruments and amps.
a) micing amps ?
b) line out from amps ?
c) instrument direct into an interface and all "tone & effect" being internal ( digital ) ?
d) Acoustic drums vs electronic close mic vs a minimal system?
e) monitoring system (external vs direct to headphone ) ?

Could range from anything from a mini recorder doing ambient sound to an interface directly into a computer / DAW

I have been researching and working on our system for over a year and still have more questions than answers.
The information you provided only makes for an impossible answer.

Perhaps all you need is a JAM HUB ?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... -recording
At only a $1500.00 budget . . . you will have to be VERY WISE in selection. Cause you can burn through that just in cables and snakes for some set ups.

#203328 by RGMixProject
Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:37 pm

The mixer will interface with your computer software to give you even more flexability.
#223015 by larrry552832
Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 am
Drjuanitor wrote:so im new here. basically im looking to make my own mini home studio, just to record my drumset and guitars. Im not sure what all i need to do this with. I have a budget of 1500$. if someone could link all the require things to do this with, that would be awesome. the only reason im resulting in making my own mini studio is because i have no one in my area to band up with. so any help from you guys would be much appreciated. thanks.

I bought everything from Guitar Center. Drum mics, cables, TRS 1/4" and xlr,. I sold drums so I bought an Alsesis SR 18, it has built in bass and lots of extra percussion for the $250 I spent a great deal. I also purchased a decent fender Bass and Rumble 15 watt amp. With a Tascam 8 track recorder that saves on SD media cards. Get a 16GB or even a 32GB, I used up the 2GB the first week I had it. Then transfer it to a computer to mix/ master and compress. Or it can even be done on the 8 track. I found it better using a free version of Audacity. You have better visibility and can see errors and fix by copy/paste. Then adds effects to vocals or parts. I even picked up a great condenser mic set for $99. Two mics, one for instrument one for vocals and added a windscreen for $25. If you use Audacity or a pro tool like in decent computer u need enough RAM and HD space. Read this first if computer is older. GC will do it for you for a fee of course. Or teach you how. I have less than $1000 in it. But I do need set of drums. Mine sold for 4 grand, I had 10G's into them. I bought a LES PAUL custom though. If you get the tascam read the book or get the DVD. IT can save expensive errors, I have heard
#223016 by larrry552832
Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:40 am
Drjuanitor wrote:so im new here. basically im looking to make my own mini home studio, just to record my drumset and guitars. Im not sure what all i need to do this with. I have a budget of 1500$. if someone could link all the require things to do this with, that would be awesome. the only reason im resulting in making my own mini studio is because i have no one in my area to band up with. so any help from you guys would be much appreciated. thanks.

Me again, you will need a good set of studio monitors. I had when I purchased used DP01. I did this to extend my solo capability when taking jazz guitar. I bought Rokkit KRK 5s for $149 each. thats another $300 to you. Believe me you can get decent, Alesis too. Don;t by these used, and buy the warranty on all electronic equipment.

I like having th capablity of doing this all with amixer at hand and adjusting each track, and not letting the computer do it. It uses up more space on the computer. Most time will be spent getting each part done per track, and the learning curve.

Im presently working on recording Hotel california, all guitar parts, drums with the machine stereo mixed, all the vocals. So Im learning how to bounce tracks to get open up more. Its a great way to learn the features of the mixer. Editing, copying tracks, Its so fun. I spend hours on hours of doing this.

#223024 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:37 pm
Do lots of reading before buying (more) recording equipment. homerecording.com is a great source of advice and information.

#226523 by DemonSkeever
Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 pm
mywillie wrote:we should cum at least 4x that amount so they have enough to funnel in to bombs made from seamen. NASTY!!!

...... javascript:emoticon(':shock:') oooooookaaaayyyyy. anywho, What i'm using is a shure sm57 + sm58 mic'd up to my amp with the 57 picking up the highs almost straight on to the cone and the 58 focused more around the edge grabbing alot more of the mid and bass thats coming off the thing.
That then goes to my Behringer Xenyx H1222 usb mixer out to a alesis 3630 dual channel compressor and back to the mixer via Y cables (not sure what the actual name of those things are).
the only issue with this setup is that i cant record multiple tracks at the same time as everything gets jammed into one channel for output to the computer but the result i get is a nice, clear, Powerful and most importantly FULL BODIED tone that sounds great in a mix.
Also i agree with what Larrry552832 is saying, Def Look into purchasing some monitors. They make a world of difference in what you get out of the recording. I was using a pair of audio technica headphones to monitor what i was recording and it sounded bitchin' coming through those but after i got some monitors setup, i noticed everthing that i couldn't with the headset.
the recording on my profile is proof of that. I used just a headset for it and although its not TERRIBLY far off (meh) you can def tell that there are parts where the guitar tracks are out of time with eachother. nevermind the bass.

#231546 by gbheil
Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:53 pm
I use a Line 6 digital wireless system.

It simply is the BEST wireless system available for budget minded musicians IMO.
#231568 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:02 pm
Mark Cinnamon wrote:Has anyone tried it?

www.ebolmer.com

Someone asked about that before here (was it you?). Transmission range: 10 meters. That's not going to cut it, in my mind. It means real low power and you probably get drop outs if there is any interference (like walking aorund the PA cabinets).