This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Have you ever heard of this technique before?

50%
50%
N/A
#174171 by Starfish Scott
Sat May 26, 2012 5:12 pm
I can't believe I never saw anyone do this before.

I have a 70's Fender Bassman Ten (4x10) Silver Face.

They have 2 channels, no vibrato/reverb and are in phase.

So you plug into say "Input 1", cable out of "Input 2" and into "Input 1" of second channel. I use a slightly different variation on this, but essentially the same.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archiv ... 72242.html

Anyone know of this trick already? I am sure someone does.

Anyone use this already>? I am looking to gain experience from people who actually use and know what this is/does.

I think someone said it was a way to cascade the gain channels?

Anyone know for sure? All i know is that you can get a different sound of out of it. Tell us what you know.

#174182 by Cajundaddy
Sun May 27, 2012 12:38 am
Yep, tried it with my SR. You are essentially driving both preamps into a common power amp. You can use different eq on either side.

You can also plug guitar into ch1, out from ch1 (input 2) to effects board, from effects board into ch2 to create an effects loop with different gain settings and effects mix control. We used to try all this stuff back in the day in search of the Holy Grail of tone. Some guys like it, I can't be bothered. Lots of good old Fender amp tricks.

#175853 by Paleopete
Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 pm
I haven't tried it, but wondered if it would work and didn't want to fry my vintage Super Reverb experimenting.

I have seen that done with two or three amps lots of times, (Johnny Winter used 3 Super Reverbs for years) and have done it with my Fender Champ a couple of times. In one input, out the other to another amp. Plenty other guitar players have used that setup over the years but Johnny Winter is the one I've noticed, no matter what amp he plays, it's usually 3 of them wired together. After CBS bought Fender he switched to Music Man amps, and used their Super Reverb model the same way, 3 wired together. I also saw one video where he had 3 Marshalls but he didn't use Marshalls long, he always went for a cleaner sound, which is why he used Fender and Music Man.

I also use both channels now onstage with a A/B switch, that works well. One output of the switch to each channel, so I can switch in the middle of a song for leads if I want to or for a slightly different sound. I keep one channel set brighter than the other.