This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#524 by Guest
Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:50 am
I just bought a boss pedal board. I am getting big time signal loss. I have my effects in this order: MXR ZW overdrive pedal, DOD death metal pedal, Arion octave pedal, Digitech synth wah, Danelectro Fish and chips EQ, and closest to the amp I have a MXR noise gate. Not only am I getting signal loss, but my noise gate is not doing it's job. It eliminates just a portion of the noise, hiss, and feedback. Anyone have any suggestions?

#525 by Shawn Griffin
Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:56 pm
You need to off the pedals that are not true bypass.

#705 by Belleville
Mon May 01, 2006 11:14 am
Second the motion about true bypass, looks like only one of your pedals is true bypass....the mxr? Could just be one culprit, could be the combination of the entire chain.... Any luck with eliminating one at a time to narrow it down? Could also be bad patch cable(s), though you'd probably notice a lot of noise/hum as well, or intermittent signal loss. Was there ever a time when your signal chain did not have this problem? (could be an amp issue?) 400Watt Peavey half stack....Holy smokes batman! You could probably eliminate most of those pedals with a 50watt tube half stack. Yes, a half stack looks cool on stage, but it sounds like in order to get the sound your looking for, you've got to doctor up the sound with a slew of pedals before your signal even gets to the amp. I see you also have a Marshall MG50? (I know the effects aren't the best on that...) Another option, is a straight up Boss floor processor. The newer ones are nice, and also affordable. Just my two cents..... (I'm kinda old school myself..... no more than three pedals, and if any one of them is an el cheapo, it usually compromises the whole chain.)

good luck
hoodooman

#767 by dmazanec
Mon May 15, 2006 3:22 am
You guys didn't answer his question. To get the best results put the Octave pedal and wah pedal first. Follow that with the EQ and drive pedals. I've never used a noise gate but it would seem logical to use it after the drive pedals.

True bypass pedals are great and very expensive. If you can afford them go for it but other wise putting you stomp boxes in the right order will help give you better results. Cheers.

#838 by cptmarkjm93
Wed May 24, 2006 11:52 am
You may have a bad cable or two in there. Check them all is my recommendation.

Lava Man
http://www.lavacable.com

#1359 by BillyRich
Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:42 pm
Check the batteries 1st and foremost. This sounds too simple, but a lot of people overlook them. Sounds like you're either running lots of batteries &/or AC adaptors. Most of the time the batteries have been sitting on ths shelf too long before you even buy them. Low bats can produce unsuspecting results (like noise, signal loss, spikes). I always go with Duracells myself. Buy a good battery tester. I try to change all batteries out at the same time and always change them before a gig. (Keep the older ones for the TV remote, lol).

A/C adaptors have always seemed to me to produce more noise than batteries. I had all my pedals hard wired for A/C in the 80's until they all got "lost". But that's another story. They were the cleanest sounding pedals I ever had.

Oh yeah, don't forget that the batteries are being drained as long as there's a cord in the input (or output, I can't remember right now), whether the pedal's on or off. So I always pull all the chords out when not using the gear, just to be safe.

Here's a good reference site: http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm
That's the Guitar Effects Debugging Page. Very helpful stuff there, although not updated since 2000.

#2468 by OnQStudios
Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:07 am
MAKE SURE IF YOU ARE USING ADAPTERS, YOU KEEP YHE WALL WART AS FAR AS POSSIBLE FROM YOUR PEDALS. A CHEAP OR POORLY SHEILDED PATCH CABLE OR STOMPBOX WILL PICK UP A HUM EVERYTIME. ALSO TRY RUNNING YOUR MODULATED EFFECTS THROUGH THE EFFECTS LOOP, AND YOUR DRIVE PEDALS IN THE FRONT OF THE AMP WITH THE MILDER DRIVE PEDALS FIRST. RUN YOUR NOISE GATE LAST IN LINE OF THE EFFECTS LOOP PEDALS, THEREFORE MAKING IT THE LAST VARIABLE BEFORE THE OUTCOMING SOUND OF THE SPEAKER. THIS WILL HELP NOT ONLY QUIT DOWN YOUR PEDALS, BUT ALSO ANY AMP NOISE YOU HAVE. YOU MAY WANT TO TRY A BBE SONIC STOMP PEDAL , AS YOU CAN USE IT TO COMPENSATE FOR PUNY SIGNAL AND SACRIFICED TONE. HOPE THIS HELPS MAN....NOISY sh*t IS NO FUN TO TAME......ALSO TURN YOUR PEDAL LEVELS DOWN AND YOUR AMP UP A BIT. THIS WILL NOT PUT SO MUCH INPUT GAIN TO THE AMP AND THE LESS YOU USE OF A STOMPBOXES CAPABILITIES, THE EASIER IT WILL BE TO CONTAIN..........JOEY Q; 850-865-7080

#2872 by Scott Wilcox of HGR Records
Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:16 am
Try each pedal one at a time. Put good pedals to one side and tone-sucking pedals to the other. Then put those tone-suckers in a true-bypass loop. This guy makes 'em:

www.loop-master.com.

Good luck.

#3679 by AJ6stringsting
Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:37 am
It could be many factor contributing to the signal loss. You could buy a Vht Valvulator,( forgot the company make) a device called the power brick. Those two devices isolate and correct impedence mis-matches that will make you lose definition and punch. Get a sonic maximizer like Aurel exciter or any BBE sonic Maximizers and get a power conditioner to clean up the noise that come from the power outlets. Plus some Hush units will help too.............good luck bro!!!!........or just e-mail me at [email protected] , tell me what kind of gear you have from the pick ups, chords, effects and amp(s)

#4366 by scoobyone
Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:53 am
Just get rid of all your pedals . They are for the weak Use your guitar and your talent to carry your weight ! A good marshall amp helps too !Keep it in mind does someone else have to listen to your stuff ?

#4650 by Bebop251
Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:26 am
[There's some truth to that. We really don't need all of those pedals. If you have to have all of those types of effects at once, you have to make a choice -tone or effect. If you want effects then go out and buy a digital effect stomper like the line six pod. These types of units will do anything you want, all pre programmmed, you tweak it and presto! yYou have the tone of Jimi, Steve, Satriani, and maybe even Metheny. But if you want tone-Now your in a world of hurt because real tone is like music-magic.

#5464 by deftrap
Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 pm
use them this way pal it will be the best, guitar , noise gate, octave, wah, zw45(got one, amazing),metal dist,eq , amp also you might wanna upgrade the dano cos they zap tone

#6396 by Stareater
Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:41 pm
You should run the wah first, followed by the distortion/overdrive boxes. Your noise gate is in the right place, and it's really up to you whether you want pre or post-distortion EQ (I run my EQ completely after the amp). A line booster would be a good idea, something like the BBE Boosta Grande. Given the pedals you list, I'd imagine most of your noise is coming from the Death Metal and ZW Overdrive. If you use both at once, then don't expect to have a quiet signal. I've heard that the ZW is a noisy pedal to begin with.

Somebody mentioned a bad cable, and I agree. Not only may you have a bad cable, but you may have a bunch of cheap, noisy cables that will add horrible noise to your signal. Invest in some Core X2 or Monster cables. They make a world of difference. Also, if you're powering everything with batteries, pick up a Visual Sound OneSpot to power all your pedals. It's only about $25-30, is expandable, and can power just about every pedal known to man.

#9233 by thebelongingkind
Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:03 pm
I'd also add that you're always going to get signal loss when using effects, and volume/wah pedals are the biggest offenders for it.

You should get a buffer pedal, which will fix signal/tone/integrity loss from pedal boards. Go here:
http://www.skrydstrup.com/pages/product ... dstrup.com.

The Edge (U2) uses them and he has a zillion effects.