This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#15534 by drivingbass
Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 am
This is a "How long is a piece of string?" question. Personally I only ever use compression from my bass pod or comp plus a tiny bit of chorus if I'm using the fretless. I think bass players should play bass, if you want to be a lead player - buy a strat. But at the end of the day whatever rocks your boat. It's not hurting anyone.

#15832 by CallyG
Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:05 pm
SansAmp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, if you are a bass player you have got to have one of these. It has the power of a great amp without the great amp. I also use a boss digital delay, and a memory man for looping.

Callygull,
Inflamed Gums

#16691 by Shima
Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:05 am
I prefer the normal sound of a bass...you know the kind of sound make you falling in love with your bass?XD ok no seriously...for now I didnt discovered good pedal to try....I mean I love the normal sound but I would like to learn good pedal I could likeXD

have some idea? :D

#16693 by Guitaranatomy
Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:14 am
I am no bass expert, I play guitar. But I think bass sounds good with wah, so you should try that out. Cliff Burton (Bassist for Metallica, died in '86) use that on some of his bass riffs, Orion and Anesthesia to name a couple. Good luck.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#17747 by Rob_Bassist
Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:17 pm
Kev 6string:

I disagree entirely. Music comes from the musician not the effects, bass, amp, whatever.. A good musician knows how/when to use effects and it makes them sound even more amazing...

Fingers are over-rated. Make it a point to be able to play anything with anything... Sometimes when you're trying to please people paying you money for your talents in the studio, sometimes you have to use a pick, slap, or something to please them... The customer is always right. If you're some "pedestal purist" that thinks their fingers are the end-all-be-all, you'll find the door quickly or be limited to a few types of music. If you spent some money getting to the chosen studio, you're out that money... Sometimes you can't even use your own bass. They want a certain sound or they don't like yours you're going to be using what they give you.

One case comes to mind where a band's bassist quit before they got a really good quality recording. He used a bic lighter as a kind of "blackjack" on the strings to amazing effect. When I went in to do the tracks I could not get that sound no matter what I used. So I had to learn how to do that "blackjack" style with a bit of help from the guitarist who knew the basics on how it worked. If I wouldn't have had skill using a pick, I wouldn't have been able to do that and I would have missed out on some really good money.

I use an auto Q, overdrive, compressor, sonic maximizer, 5-band parametric, and a sansamp. Love them all. Granted some aren't "effects" in most peoples eyes, but they effect the signal in some way so they literally are.

I have yet to use them in the studio though. I use them mostly to make a live show more interesting. When you play every weekend things can get boring quick, especially for any fans that come out and see you time and time again. The best phrase I've ever heard was from a guitarist. "If you're only playing to please yourself, you'll be playing with yourself a lot." The fact it came out of a guitarist's mouth made it one of those moments that I'll never forget, lol :)

#17863 by TJBass
Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:20 pm
EH small Clone Chorus for my Fretless 5 string

Digitech Bad Monkey distortion (modified for more bass response)

Digitech Bass Synth Wah for funk stuff

Coming soon....auto wah and a delay

Yeah...I love effects on bass!

#18718 by RiddimDon
Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:46 am
JUst bought a boss pedal for my bass. I feel like such a noob with it. I just wanted to get it cause i thought it could help me develop my sound. I jus started playing the bass as of august '07. Should i take it back and just keep working my basics and use the money to upgrade my fender 250/150 combo? I dont got tons of cash to spend. I'm trying to achieve a really awesome reggae vibe.

#19506 by fire43
Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:40 pm
I use a Boss ME-50B muti effects board. There is an unlimited amount of sound options, some are useful for me and some are just way out there as far as sound. It has a built in pedal that can be used to octive up/down, as a wah pedal, volume, and a few other things. However you want to set it up. It gives up to 27 preset sounds, which can be modified for you personal preference. For the same price as a 2-3 different pedals, all can be achieved with one. It was great for me, not knowing exactly what pedal I needed to achive the sound I wanted.

#19834 by bassmanak
Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:03 am
I've been using a Digitech BNX3 Multi unit for a while now.
What's cool about it is all of the amp models built into it.
It can effectively turn your amp into a monitor.
And if you have a problem at a gig..... Plug her into the board!
No problem.
Works great for DI recording too.
Best 100 bucks I ever spent.
#19850 by motorbrother
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:13 pm
adytiger wrote:Nah, bass players should just go "thud, thud , thud" - leave the cool stuff to the 6 string guys. What next - 5 or 6 string basses? Phooey!

#22863 by i wanna funk with you
Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 am
um it depends on how you use them, if you are using them to cover up sh*t writing then dont use them and hang up your bass. :shock:

#22995 by HowlinJ
Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:33 pm
Plain and simple for blues.
Picks are a good bass effect
slapping like Jaco or Claypol is cool for some stuff.
Good technique is paramount in solid bass playin'...after which...
anything goes for creative players, as long as it fits the groove! :wink:

#27655 by JacoiWishiWas
Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 pm
I have a Zoom B-2 pedal I use on occasion. I use the clean sounds 90% of the time. I programmed all 30 user patches and it took me a week!
I could make my basses sound like a spaceship, a Guitar being played in an arena crying, wailing, and reverberating with a touch of flange, or a variety of cleaner bass sounds. Yea it has octave, wah, and pitch shifters and all that crap, but like I said the clean sounds get used more. A touch of delay adds air to the bass. I use the pedal primarily to practice with headphones and for the built in drum machine. When im in band practice or playing a gig, I use a Hartke Bass Attack pedal and thats it. I like a bass to sound bassy, growly, ballsy, or all three at once! I don't care for distortions or other bull$#!+ on bass. I had one distortion/overdrive that I used to play solo parts, only because the guitarist couldn't play solos.
That pedal was the MXR Bass Blowtorch! I liked it because it did retain the bottom end. Unlike other pedals that suck out the bottom.
My basses except my Fender Jazz V have active electronics. My amps, a Fender Bassman 150 and a Crate BT-50 sound good without anything at all.
I know im being longwinded about this {Im Manic Depressive} but I've been playing for 10 yrs and tryed every bass pedal and even some guitar pedals both digital and analog and there were only three that I liked. The Zoom EFX 708, MXR Blowtorch, and Zoom B-2.
Last edited by JacoiWishiWas on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

#27656 by JacoiWishiWas
Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:01 pm
HowlinJ wrote:Plain and simple for blues.
Picks are a good bass effect
slapping like Jaco or Claypol is cool for some stuff.
Good technique is paramount in solid bass playin'...after which...
anything goes for creative players, as long as it fits the groove! :wink:

Jaco didn't slap! He was strictly fingerstyle.

#28024 by JacoiWishiWas
Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:31 pm
Kev 6string wrote:
adytiger wrote:Nah, bass players should just go "thud, thud , thud" - leave the cool stuff to the 6 string guys. What next - 5 or 6 string basses? Phooey!

:P well thing is, if youve got a good bass and a good amp with an equalizer or equaliser footpedal, theres no need for digital effects, spesh if your a true bassist (fingerplayer)
Beacos you can slap,pop,tap,harmonic tap,mute,stroke. tecknique gets you the good sounds not a pedal.

I loop on my RC-50 boss looping pedal and all i do to stop the song getting muddy is create one round of the chords, with high frequencys set, then compile it with the bass line with it set low frequencys and then a solo with very high frequency or high boost cut.

The posibilities are endless with a good bass.

Ala Jaco! Hats off to you! Im a five and six string player and I wish I could do some shredding tastefully. I like the looping concept and soloing over it.
Im just a fingerstyle player too. Solid but melodic.