This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#511 by gnarlbob
Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:59 am
I recently bought the Hendrix Artist Pedal from Digitech. Man, what an awesome sounding floor pedal. The range of effects is great and the tones are to die for. Especially the doubler on the Purple Haze setting. Anyone else using one yet?
#512 by Catfish Jones
Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:08 am
I've been thinking about getting it, but haven't had the opportunity to try one out yet. I read that Eddie Kramer helped out on getting the sounds authentic to the recordings. Have you noticed this to be true when you play with it?

#513 by RMORIALLI
Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:01 pm
Try to remembeer that Jimi used a cheap fuzz face by Orbitor (the red one) or a Fuzz Tone, and an original Crybaby wah..........that's it.

#712 by Belleville
Tue May 02, 2006 3:36 am
("That's it..") Not entirely true about the fuzz face and the crybaby. Hendrix almost exclusively used Vox wahs. ("Jimi continued to use the Vox throughout his career, although he also used the Jennings (later dunlop) cry baby for a short time....") This comes straight from the the book "Electric Gypsy", accepted as the most accurate and complete biography / discography, etc... The book goes as far as describing the specific gear used on specific songs. As well as the Arbiter Fuzz Face, he used the "Axis Fuzz"- designed by Roger Mayer, Mosrite Fuzz, Leslie cabs, Uni-Vibe, Uni-Drive, Octavia- also designed by Roger Mayer. And contrary to popular belief- what you hear on the studio recordings is not a wall of Marshall stacks (which was his stage set up). He used a Fender Twin Reverb for most of what was recorded at "Electric Lady" studio. Many studio effects were also used for the guitar sounds, such as analog phasing, Echoplex,,,etc... Yes, his gear was simple, but so was everyone else's in 1967. No, I'm not an authority on Hendrix, but I have read most of the bios in print, and any accounts of his gear.... and most say the same thing. Hendrix tried everything that was available at least once. (much of his gear in the later years was custom modified, or "built" specifically for Jimi) But it's definitely safe to say that a fuzz and wah were always there.

#3435 by profile104852
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:06 pm
This is what Iknow from a memorable experience (pardon the pun!) I saw Hendrix in St. Louis in 1968 (foggy memories); he was with Redding and Mitchell and played 7 Strats and 3 Swedish Hagstrom guitars through two Marshall stacks, one of which was much scarred and which he later plunged a Strat into - Redding played a Hagstrom 8-string bass. Jimi used a blue fuzz face and a Vox Wah (Crybabies were zygotes at that time); he had another device somewhere in the chain, a custom-made gray box I much later learned was called an Octavian, a sort of chorus. Mitch played silver Ludwigs, with very light jazz touch but amplified thru a pile of Marshalls, and I forget what Noel played thru. My chest was against the stage and I was getting crushed. Hendrix was very lithe and strong, like a gymnast, and sprung off the floor like a hot flea

#3698 by AJ6stringsting
Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:40 am
Jonnyrocker wrote:I saw jimmy perform in 1968 as well. I noted that he did use the vox wah and the blue face fuzz...that was it. i got them both after the concert.
I'm very lucky , I own an original Univibe, it's high maitenance, but it's worth it!!!!!