This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

15s

#154731 by blues edge
Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:10 pm
Does anyone know of a 15" speaker made specificaly for guitar these days ???

#154765 by gbheil
Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:55 am
12"s is the largest I've come across that were anything more than just a woofer.
I am curious though why you would want to move that much air from one speaker just for a guitar?

#154769 by blues edge
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:11 am
sans yrs ago i had a dual showman cab w 2 jbl e130s and a cheap sears or montgomery ward 2 15 gtr cab & as i remember they sounded pretty awesome , i have a song where the rhythm gtr part is tuned in b std & i really like the way that the low tuned gtr and a e std tuned gtr leave a lot of space for ea other . i was thinking about doing more of that .

#154771 by gbheil
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:18 am
Forgive my ignorance ...

Could you not do the same with lets say, a two way PA speaker.

I switched my amp to 4 ohm and played through a three way cab once as an experiment.
I did not much care for the result, but I was tuned standard and made no adjustments to my EQ.

#154775 by blues edge
Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:33 am
here again your probably right, but they used to make 15'"gtr speakers& right or wrong I ve always been under the impression that pa speakers were clean until they broke up in a non-musical way, where as gtr speakers sort of break up steadly in a more musical way the more you push them. I was thinking about evm 15s

#154826 by gbheil
Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:35 pm
Ah yes ... I see what you mean ...

Let me know if you find some ... be good info to have.

#155083 by A Persuasive Reason
Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 pm
Hmm. I see where you are going with this, but I dont think the answer is so straight forward. Yes, I agree with the reaction of the speaker and how it breaks up, but you also have to consider the cabinet as well as it plays a huge factor on what you hear. I would think you could probably achieve what you want with a higher powered 12" speaker and a cabinet with a Q tuned around 125 - 150Hz.

For instance, I have an old Seymour Duncan cab that has 60 watt speakers in it. The speakers don't break up as quickly, so for overdriven sounds I have to rely on more pre gain, but on the flip side, it resonates a tad lower due to it's size and the speakers producing a cleaner signal at higher volume. It sounds nice with baritone tunings.

If you are willing to experiment and are skilled with wood working, I would suggest getting ahold of some old EV Force cabinet blueprints, building a couple of cabs, and play around with the speaker type and port size. I recall these came in single 10", 12", and 15" inch designs. I worked at a place in the late 80's where we would build these off the blueprints and load them with Pyle Force (70 oz magnet) speakers for PA and night clubs. They are a real simple, square design, and with 2 front ports, you can have a blast with some PVC pipe at different lengths to achieve what you are looking for.

Also, for speakers, I would suggest the Speaker Exchange out of Tampa Florida. They have tons of refurb, reconed speakers, or better yet, if you know anyone with a blown speaker, you can get recone kits from them and rebuild the speaker for a few bucks... Be a cheap way to get your hands on more speakers to test.

And for the recone, it sounds intimidating, but it's actually quite easy. I reconed 3 speakers in my Eden cabinet and they work like a charm. It was actually kind of fun too...

#155101 by blues edge
Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 pm
yes but I still have the 2-15 guitar cab w.o. spkrs , & I guess i was just thinking it would be cool to get the old fender cab up & running . ala dick dale
I would like to give reconing a try Ive seen kits & inst vids !

#155129 by Cajundaddy
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:30 am
Ouch! I sold a pair of Altec 418s (Dick Dale speaker) last year for way too cheap. They would have been perfect. There are still a bunch af Altec, JBL, and EV full range guitar speakers around if you do some digging. I see em on ebay and Craigslist frequently. The young cats don't know what to do with them but us old road dogs know exactly how to use them. :wink:

Here are some other choices:
http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/categor ... ers/1.html

Good luck in your search.

#155149 by blues edge
Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm
thanks for the tip ! wish I had them altecs!

#169329 by Soundchaser59
Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm
EVM15L

Weber California / Michigan / Chicago / Texas / 15F150 / etc.

Eminence Big Ben (or Commonwealth)

Jensen C15K or C15N?

All are very affordable. There are a few JBL's in the 15 inch category also.

#169356 by Tennessee Jedi
Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 pm
I'm looking at a Fender 75 later this week - it has a 15 ' JBL D130 F in it ...
Hope its loud n clean !
:D