This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#150957 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 am
I was scanning Craigslist and came across this little jem. This is my new favorite backseat rocker that sounds so much bigger than it is! The TV box shape with the side mounted controls is so different and cool. PTP wired with Silvertone labeled RCA tubes throughout. It's a dual 6V6 powered, tube rectified single 12" amp just like a Deluxe. It's a little lower output than a Deluxe, 15 watts vs 22 watts, but it seems plenty loud enough for a little back seat grab and go jam amp. It doesn't have reverb but it does have a really nice tube driven tremelo. It was manufactured for Sears by Danelectro and is their version of a Tweed Deluxe.

Here are a few short clips. I loaded slide shows for the videos. This was packed in it's original box and in storage for most of the past 46 years so it is dead mint. It sounds as new as it looks! This first one is with a MIA Ash Deluxe Strat and the amp on 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6QOhUHi6U0

This second clip is with it's channels jumpered and both channels are up around 7. I'm using an Ibanez RG520QSB and a SD-1 set clean with it's volume up for a boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLrdF4s44Nc
Last edited by Lizzy Janes Rescue on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#151009 by Paleopete
Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 am
Replace the caps, they are not still good. After 30 years or so they dry out, the electrolytics anyway, and if a cap blows in the right spot it can fry the transformer.

Cap job was the first thing I did to my 73 Super Reverb, for that reason. I played it a few times and found out it worked, but the volume would drop after 10-15 minutes as if you pulled a power tube. It was a flaky cap. And not an electrolytic, I replaced those first. After I replaced the last of the other caps, it started working right and has ever since. I can't believe how close I came to a very expensive repair job...if that cap had completely given up, there's no telling what it would have taken with it.

Always do a complete cap job on any vintage amp, especially the electrolytics, no matter how good it seems to be. If the caps are dried out, it's only a matter of time.

#151016 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:47 am
I'll replace the filter caps but I will leave the signal caps as is until they give me reason to change them.

#151298 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 pm
Caps ordered and on the way. I'm hoping to have it rock ready in a week or so. 8)

#151462 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:24 am
I won't have my caps until Monday but it's hard not to plug into it and play. Here's a few more clips from today.

First a modern country with my Strat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMVslwn1Vs

and a rock with my Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgxY7D5n5_w
Last edited by Lizzy Janes Rescue on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#151908 by Crunchysoundbite
Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 pm
I got a Silvertone (mid 60s). I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Pardon me for not knowing your nomenclature of amp lingo, but I get that yours is a freestanding amp. Mine is a guitar case. It came with a guitar, but not original. It's a (mid 60s) Japanese made Tioma (electric 6), It's alright. I saw one of those in an antique shop for $175. Probably still there. I gave that for my Gibby 6 w/ wammy. The case doubles as an amp. Good shape and works. $35 for case (and amp) and guitar. Does this deal fall in your century? :? Will Sell- Make offer. :)

#152105 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:04 pm
That sounds like a pretty good deal for someone CSB. Unfortunately I'm not in the market for more toys at the moment. Stick an ad on Craigslist, I'm sure someone will grab it up quickly, especially at that price. I didn't really need the one I got but I couldn't resist. The 1482 is a sweet little Danelectro made clone of a Fender Tweed Deluxe. The seller found it in it's original box cleaning out the house of a relative that had passed away. It was in a storage room and by the looks of it has been in it's original box pretty much it's entire existence. You typically don't find stuff this old in brand new condition in it's original box.

#152272 by Crunchysoundbite
Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm
It's really neat when the old become new. It is old, yet it is new to you. That amp has been waiting for decades to be appreciated. Ever get that feeling? Coming into your new age of appreciation is a great reward. Yeah, that was a great deal you got, hope it's not the greatest deal you'll get in your century. I think not. I got a deal the end of June. A friend on the way to work called me to tell me about a slide in camper a mile up the road-Free. Picked it up within the hour. Everything works. The owner was making room for his daughter's wedding. It is a sweet spot to go outdoors to play guitar, watch TV, or just play cards. People are seeking them on craigslist. I'd considered a trade offer of 2 quads for it. Right now it's on my truck, I can choose where I want it on my property, depending on how secluded I want to be. Came in handy on my July 16th festival. Never hear about a deal and not seek it out. :wink:

#152290 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 pm
Tell me about it. I'm glad I did because it's a beauty.

NOS Silvertone labeled RCAs throughout..

Original box in which it sat for the last 46 years

It takes pedals really well too.

#152325 by Crunchysoundbite
Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:02 am
Beautiful! 8) I wouldn't doubt that box is worth something. The amp doesn't look touched. :shock: It could be the last of it's kind, this century in it's condition. Where'd ya say this clean-out was? :lol:

#152729 by Paleopete
Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:26 pm
Sorry but I forgot to check back on this post earlier.

Replace EVERY electrolytic cap in the amp, no matter where it is, not just the filters. After 30 years or so they start to dry out. Once the electrolyte is dried, they can short, which can (but not always does) fry much more expensive components like transformers and can damage lots of other components if the transformers survive.

Since this is a very old amp, unused or not, every electrolytic cap inside is suspect and it should not be played any more at all until every last one is replaced. Actually, sitting on a shelf they tend to be more likely to dry out than if in use regularly.

Also you might not be able to find the exact values, they have changed since then. For the capacitance, stay within 10%. The older 50uF can be replaced with a 47uF, but stay as close as possible, 10% if you can. The voltage is not as critical, but if the same voltage is not available, which is very likely, go for a higher voltage rating. The voltage rating is the maximum for that cap, not an exact requirement. A 450V cap can be safely replaced with a 600v, but NOT with a lower voltage rating.

Anyway, this is very important. ALL eletrolytic caps should be replaced before the amp is played any more. It may work just fine, but every one of the electrolytics is a time bomb just waiting to fry the entire circuit. The other types are not as bad, most don't have the tendency to dry out. Usually the "Orange drops" were the cheaper brown or blue ones, like in my Super Reverb, I replaced them with new ones by Sprague, considered the best.

Orange Drop - http://mhuss.com/php/pix.php?p=OD

Here's the main page, with descriptions and pictures of some of the other caps found in amps.

http://mhuss.com/Capacitors/

Also do some looking online, some of the DIY guitar amp repair sites have good write ups about how and why caps dry out and what can happen if they do.

I can't stress this strongly enough, DO NOT play that amp until every electrolytic has been replaced. It's a time bomb.

#152792 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm
Yeah, I know I've been down that road before. This is the last one I did.

I got the caps for the 1482 and will be going under the hood soon.