This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Best $200 -$300 Guitar MultiFX unit?

N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

#211664 by timtheaxeman
Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:32 pm
Two of my favorites (even though well exceed the $300 limit), are the POD HD 500 (499 new), and the digitech iPB-10 ($499 and requires an iPad to initialize the pedal, and to make any further tweaks after that).

BUT! When it comes to actual sound quality, (i.e. TONE),both of these units are road and studio worthy.

The POD HD500 has many Pro users (youtube videos Lincoln Brewster etc.)
Very tweakable (for weeks or even months) but the onboard screen is small and hard to work with,unless hooked to a laptop or PC which is more common during studio or home use. Some advantages over other gear is the ability to run dual signal chains (dual Triple Rectifiers,or a Marshall and a Fender Twin) at the same time or switchable, with tons of effects and processing available if desired.

The Digitech iPB-10 on the otherhand, wont run dual signal chains or effects choices, but has an approx 10 inch viewing area (w/ipad installed) and is layed out like a virtual pedal board,easy to see, drag and drop editing, of amp choices,cabinet choices,and effects choices, all with the touch and swipe of a finger,even on-the-fly (if needed).

Even though these pedals exceed the $300 limit, I gotta tell you, Man they are worth it. even with the additional cost of an ipad, the ipb-10 is less than most decent tube heads. and thats not including the speakers. I suspect you already have an amp and speakers, my point is that with 54 virtual amp head choices,87 effects, and 26 speaker cabs, (all legendary), the tone i get in the studio and thru any of my amps i own set to a clean channel, is truly amazing. ive been (tweaking) for nearly 8 months now and can see the possibilities are endless. AND HOW MANY OF US could afford to own even half the gear these two particular pedals offer ?

#220708 by AJ6stringsting
Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 am
I bought a Digitech 2112 .... Love it .... any type of amp can be created on it. To the most insane gain with no loss of articulation and immaculate Fender type cleans :wink:

#220732 by Starfish Scott
Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm
Ecch hope it's better than my old 2101 artist.

Great if you don't mind losing all feedback and working with something that sounds like a limiter is always engaged.

#224957 by J-HALEY
Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:35 am
Very nice pedal board Bro I bet your tone is to die for! 8)

#224958 by J-HALEY
Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:44 am
Yep I was right KILLER TONE brother! I Love the solo in "Girls Go Good With Beer" Good stuff! 8)
#284251 by andrew1196374
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:29 am
I spent far less money on my effects pedal. I bought a zoom g1on multi-fx pedal on Amazon for $60.00 it's advantageare it's portable and can be powered by 4 aa batteries or usb cable and it has drum beats as well as a metronome. The only disadvantage is it doesn't have any recording software in it.
#284260 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:04 pm
andrew1196374 wrote:I spent far less money on my effects pedal. I bought a zoom g1on multi-fx pedal on Amazon for $60.00 it's advantageare it's portable and can be powered by 4 aa batteries or usb cable and it has drum beats as well as a metronome. The only disadvantage is it doesn't have any recording software in it.

This thread is very old now. I bought an early gen Zoom, thought it's sound was pretty horrid (fuzz sound was all fizzy) and the programming was a PITA, and limited too. Bought it on fleabay, and sold it off again pretty quickly.
#284262 by Planetguy
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 pm
As i've said before, I've never been much of an FX guy. When I have any FX at a gig it's a little pedalboard holding a JOYO Sweet Baby overdrive, a vintage WESTBURY compressor, and a BOSS TU-3 tuner.

The only multi-effects pedal I've owned is a JOHNSON J Station. Haven't used it on a gig in yrs but every now and the I will dick around w it at home.

It does have some great sounding amp and spkr modeling and with its dozen or so knobs it's super easy to write patches. Tap delay always garners points too.
#284268 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 pm
The biggest issue with the small multiFX pedals is you need to access everything through a menu - there is precious little tweaking that can be done 'live'. So you need to set everything sound option up as a preset so you can switch between them on the fly when playing live. Better/bigger/more expnsive options, like the Line 6 Helix have separate on-off-buttons you can use to turn certain FX on or off from a preset patch, but tweaking is still done through a menu.
One thing I love to do with a delay pedal is turn the feedback circuit up (then down) at the end of a song which creates a great effect. Can't do that in a menu easily, but with one knob ....
My pedalboard right now:
Radial PZ Pre - 2 setchable inputs, built-in boost and mute switches.
Has separate tuner output, an FZ loop (not using that), 1/4" and XLR outputs.
> Tube Screamer clone
> old distortion box
> Behringer Chorus (cheap, but works!)
> Behringer Delay (again - cheap, but works, with up to a second of delay time)
> Ditto X2 looper
All in an aluminum 'suitcase' with removable lid, with power supplies in it as well - one power strip inside works, so just need to plug guitar(s) in, plug in power and run one cable out to the PA or amp.
#292294 by Waylon999
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 pm
I have used cheap mooer gembox. What a stunning little toy for this price! But if I must chose something with bigger budget, I would consider Zoom, especially one of these
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G3Xn--zoom-g3xn-multi-effects-processor-with-expression-pedal
https://musicsquare.co.uk/161973_ZooM-G5n-guitar-effect.html