This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144505 by MacLaren Brennan
Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:02 pm
Any Schecter fans out here?

#144681 by Insecticide
Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 pm
Yeap! I love my Schecters. I have a Hellraiser C7 and a C8. My main gittrs. Really nice, full sounding guitars. My 7 is definitely brighter than my 8, but both guitars are fairly dark in comparison to my PRS guitars.

What Schecter(s) do you currently rock out with?

#144717 by gbheil
Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm
My limited experience with them has not been positive.
But I'll not pass judgment until I have more exposure.
My Gibson is quite the jealous type. :wink:

#144743 by Etu Malku
Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 pm
I've worked on many Schecters, and I gotta say they are excellently built, look great and last. I'm not the biggest fan of there pups though, prefer to swap them out.

#144748 by gbheil
Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:16 pm
I've noticed the active pups seem to work really well with digital amps and effects.
I've been converted to a tube man myself ... but I have been impressed with the difference in passive vs active on " modeling" amps & effects chains.

#144757 by J-HALEY
Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:22 am
I went into GC to buy a LP in 03 I had the cash to walk out with either one! As some folks on this site know I am a Strat man! (Sorry Crip) Any who I can't speak for the WHIPPERSNAPPERS! I would not own an active pick up if you paid me a phuckin million bucks! :shock: :shock: :shock:

#144758 by gbheil
Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:29 am
J-HALEY wrote:I went into GC to buy a LP in 03 I had the cash to walk out with either one! As some folks on this site know I am a Strat man! (Sorry Crip) Any who I can't speak for the WHIPPERSNAPPERS! I would not own an active pick up if you paid me a phuckin million bucks! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The difference in sound on the LINE6 amp between Ray's Dean with the passives and his Schecter with the actives is striking.

Don't fret though. ( pun intended )
Me, Gibson, & Carvin are inextricably linked :lol:

#144762 by Etu Malku
Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 am
J-HALEY wrote:I went into GC to buy a LP in 03 I had the cash to walk out with either one! As some folks on this site know I am a Strat man! (Sorry Crip) Any who I can't speak for the WHIPPERSNAPPERS! I would not own an active pick up if you paid me a phuckin million bucks! :shock: :shock: :shock:
J man . . .. I am a tele guy, but the tech at AMS and I gotta say, some of the Schecters with active electronics sound good . . . BUT not great! Kinda Small Reed Smith-ish

#144763 by Insecticide
Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 am
sanshouheil wrote:I've noticed the active pups seem to work really well with digital amps and effects.
I've been converted to a tube man myself ... but I have been impressed with the difference in passive vs active on " modeling" amps & effects chains.

Ya know, I would completely agree with you a month ago. But since I've been playing with my PRS guitars through my Line6 gear, I've been loving the tones I've been pulling from it. The actives definitely give some super grind and growl, but they are already compressed. Running into a processor with limited dynamic response so it sounds a bit flat. I do love the sound and have used it on all of my recordings, but I think I'm gunna go passive and see what happends! The leads on my newest songs were recorded with my PRS and the pickups are super awesome. If I can find something close to their sound for my Schecters that would be awesome.

#144903 by gbheil
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 pm
Insecticide wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:I've noticed the active pups seem to work really well with digital amps and effects.

Ya know, I would completely agree with you a month ago. But since I've been playing with my PRS guitars through my Line6 gear, I've been loving the tones I've been pulling from it. The actives definitely give some super grind and growl, but they are already compressed. Running into a processor with limited dynamic response so it sounds a bit flat. I do love the sound and have used it on all of my recordings, but I think I'm gunna go passive and see what happends! The leads on my newest songs were recorded with my PRS and the pickups are super awesome. If I can find something close to their sound for my Schecters that would be awesome.

I'm hearing ya man.
I think for our purpose though, the differences between Ray's guitar with the actives through the processor, super imposed on the more classic tube distortion I'm getting with my Carvin Nomad and my LP make for an unique sound that's quite workable. Especially in the light of our music is mostly originals.

#144919 by Insecticide
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:03 am
Yeah. Modelers rock! haha. They don't have to sound perfect or like a tube amp, they just have to sound good! It's cool to see a little modeler-love here, on most boards I browse people bash often the crap out of them. haha. Having seen any of that here... yet. Having ventured too deep (yet) though.

#150974 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Add me to the "Haters Club" on active pick ups.

EWWWWWW they sound so bad..
#151823 by With Strange Aeons
Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:58 pm
They're ok but really not my bag. They generally seem somehow neck-heavy and unbalanced to me. They sound fine but they just don't have the right "feel" to me.

I heard a good quote recently that a guitar should feel like a prosthetic device, like an extension of your body, rather than a chunk of wood hanging from your shoulder.

#153918 by QUICKSLIDE1
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 pm
I have a Schector 12 string semihollow body.
It is a Diamond series.
It has Semore Duncan pickups.
I can play it like a Stratocaster.
It also has Grover tuning keys.
I love this guitar.

D. Sharp
U.S. EAGLE band :lol: