This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4681 by Guitarzan6000
Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:12 am
I just bought a really cool old Hagstrom semi hollow body. It's from the '60's. '66 or '67 the store said.... I just wanna know from the serial number if anyone knows how to interpret it. I tried the web, but...no luck there. Anyone out there know how????? Thanks

#4723 by JAZZMINE
Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:27 am
hey bro go to vintaxe.com guitar links , two sections american made and european made guitars, your guitar will be in the european section scroll down to hagstrom pages click on and go to serial numbers ,i do believe the first three numbers will be a batch number ,they did guitar runs of a thousand, guitars that were made in the seventies had a prefix of 53 ,hope this helps later,

#4806 by Guitarzan6000
Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:50 pm
Hey Thanks....I tried that, but still no luck. I did see the thing about the "53" prefix, but my guitar is way before that. They (the store where I found it) told me it was a '66.... but being the curious one that I am, I just wanna find out for myself. I'll keep trying....

#4833 by JAZZMINE
Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:16 pm
hey man your welcome, sorry it didnt work i know you can buy their blue book that will date it you might try to look at the volume pots sometimes you can date them ! if i find anything else i will let you know, later!

#4857 by Guitarzan6000
Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:52 pm
Hey Thanks again for the response!!! I did think about the "pot" dating, except it's a hollow body with no access through the back. I would have to fish them out through the F-holes or the pickup openings, and it's just not worth the hassle (even as curious as I am) I'll keep trying though... I will say this much for Hagstrom.... I took it with me to rehersal for the first time Saturday, and WHAT AN AWESOME GUITAR IT IS!!!! GREAT TONE!!!! I wish I discovered them a long time ago. If you ever get a chance to play an old one , check it out, you'll be impressed. As far as the new ones.....I have NO idea....But this old one sounds good, thats for sure !!!! Anyway I'll keep trying. Thanks again!!!!

#4973 by JAZZMINE
Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:57 am
hello again, if you get a hold of a dental mirror you will be able to get inside and take a look , i love and play hollow body's myself , and when i buy older guitars i always take a look inside ,old soldier joints can diminish the sound , good luck and break some strings!

#5019 by Guitarzan6000
Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:37 pm
Great Idea!!!! I'll have to try that, thanx!!! I'll post what I find just for fun.