This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#119016 by theROCKER1111
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:58 pm
Im on the market for a new distortion pedal any opinions. so far i've tried the danelectro BLACK LICORICE and a BOSS MEGA DISTORTION.

both were good but looking for something with more versatility. iwant to be able to go from classic rock to full on metal!!!

#119428 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 am
I have a boss mega... it sounded great in the store... sounds awful against my new hot rod deville 410!

I honestly think a pro co rat does what you are talking about quite well.

It really CAN nail a great metal sound, and if you back off the gain you can def get into some cool crunch/classic tones.

go to youtube and check other pedals but here's a pro co rat demo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grol8Vr84o8

#120371 by Sathya
Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:49 am
Out of all of those, I'd buy the Metal Muff first. I wouldn't even touch the DigiTech stuff... other than the Whammy, nothing DigiTech ever made has wowed me.

The trick to really nice distortion is EQ though. Stick a nice EQ in front of your distortion (maybe the BOSS GE-7 or the MXR M109 or 108). Have a friend play your guitar while you play around with the EQ and the tone stack on your amp (just set everything in the middle of the distortion pedal for now). You'll learn a lot more about how to dial-in a killer distortion tone this way.

A couple you may want to consider are the classic DS-1, TubeScreamer, Rat, and the regular Big Muff Pi. Most of the bands you mentioned use those, not the "metal" pedals.

===================
chairs | office chairs

#120386 by 90 dB
Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:11 am
DS-1.

#123808 by rodfogle
Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 am
Boss Metal Zone Mt2 is great. It has a 3 band EQ too.. ABout $90 new or $40 used

#123871 by dizzizz
Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:11 pm
rodfogle wrote:Boss Metal Zone Mt2 is great. It has a 3 band EQ too.. ABout $90 new or $40 used

don't forget the mid frequency control... can't live without that one

I use an Mt2 for metal, and a visual sound V2 route 66 for classic rock.

#123881 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 pm
dizzizz wrote:
rodfogle wrote:Boss Metal Zone Mt2 is great. It has a 3 band EQ too.. ABout $90 new or $40 used

No one would ever know since you have no music.

#123902 by dizzizz
Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:48 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:
dizzizz wrote:

I'm working on it. I can't get anything to record the way I want it to. Have some patience, it's coming.

sometime.

#123906 by Starfish Scott
Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:28 pm
dizzizz wrote:
Capt. Scott wrote:
dizzizz wrote:

I'm working on it. I can't get anything to record the way I want it to. Have some patience, it's coming.

sometime.

Too bad you are so far away, I am just finishing a needed overhaul of my lousy pc w/cakewalk sonar 6. (it's been a long, strange trip)

If you were closer and I liked your music, I'd record/master it for nothing.

#123912 by dizzizz
Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:25 am
Capt. Scott wrote:
dizzizz wrote:
Capt. Scott wrote:
dizzizz wrote:

sometime.

Too bad you are so far away, I am just finishing a needed overhaul of my lousy pc w/cakewalk sonar 6. (it's been a long, strange trip)

If you were closer and I liked your music, I'd record/master it for nothing.

Well, thanks for the offer anyway. I appreciate it.

I'm hoping to get something done tomorrow, I think i'll have enough time to do 300 takes and rage at my mac and do 300 more. :lol:

#123963 by Starfish Scott
Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm
Are you layering or just trying to get 1 good take?

i.e.

If I am writing, I layer.

If I am re-recording, I am trying to get my part(s) on 1 good take/whole shebang right the first time..

Layering/sequencing is easier.

#123978 by dizzizz
Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:32 pm
I'm not too good with getting everything lined up right, so I have to do one good take on guitar... some MIDI drums... Bass track over all that.

#124000 by Starfish Scott
Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:22 pm
dizzizz wrote:I'm not too good with getting everything lined up right, so I have to do one good take on guitar... some MIDI drums... Bass track over all that.

That's layering, because you add 1 layer at a time..

Unless I have it wrong and ? (always possible these days)

#124004 by dizzizz
Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm
oh, i thought you meant like trying to string two sections of guitar together into one. Yeah, I'm layering.

#124623 by Monson
Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:19 pm
90 dB wrote:DS-1.

+1