This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#294383 by mistermikev
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm
used to visit this site a lot... but as life goes we ebb and flow into different interests... all but given up on every playing with other musicians! Anywho, just wanted to share a recent project... I don't know if there is anyone in here into building-your-own or not... but that's what I'm into these days!
#294391 by schmedidiah
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:21 pm
i'd rather see the pedals than the stripped down axes. 8)
#294395 by schmedidiah
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:22 am
mistermikev wrote:thank you for the reply... but they aren't stripped down... just not finished building yet. :twisted:

Technically true but still blocking the pedals so they must go! :lol:
#294401 by mistermikev
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 pm
hehe, guess it's just u and me in here! well I'll take a thank you on that because 90% of those I built myself too so. Aside from the mxr stuff, the dod stuff, the vox wah and the strobo stomp in the very back that is. I'll take it how I can get it!
#294402 by schmedidiah
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 pm
nice. here's a good fb group for that.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1126329537466917/?ref=br_rs

where can I hear your music besides my space? that site is just creepy anymore. :mrgreen:
#294411 by mistermikev
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm
dang.... haven't been using myspace in ages... guess I need to update that.
https://www.reverbnation.com/mistermikev
afa facebook groups for pedal builds... all my time lately is spent building guitars... I've got the bug so... and am a forum member on a number of diy pedal sites but just haven't felt like it lately!
#294484 by mistermikev
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm
my wille wrote:nice to hear from you again willie is still here too.

crazy... this place used to be bustling with arguments in this sub-forum... good to know there's still a few still around! cheers
#294571 by Paleopete
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 pm
Too many pickups for me to deal with and I'm more interested in a non strat body style. Cool project, just not my cup of tea. Already have 2 strat style guitars, been looking at les paul types. Pair of humbuckers is all I need...or single coil if I happen onto a tele project...I've done a few project guitars over the years, and a ton of repairs.

My favorite is a Harmony Bobkat made in 1966. $2 at a yard sale, another $10 for parts and strings...needed 3 grommets on the tuner pegs, I eventually replaced the tuners, one had a bent knob stem. Bridge sits on a wood strip that was split, had to glue and clamp that, everything grungy from sitting in a closet for 30 years. Sprayed the pots with some contact cleaner, they still work today, original 1966 electronics...rubber stamped inside the pickguard Apr 1, 1966. I'll have to dig up a picture, don't have one handy.

This guitar - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Harmony-B ... SwVCpcN3qm

That one is in better condition than mine, it has a lot of dings in the finish, but plays good. Been thinking about selling it, never use it any more...

I've been thinking about one myself, I have a nice Epiphone FT130 acoustic neck with zero fret, body is toast. I tried to fix it a few years ago, worked for about a month and went to hell in a handbasket again. Also have a decent pair of humbuckers, thinking about a rectangular or wedge body cut out from a chunk of wood, no knobs (I use a volume pedal) and set up mostly for slide. Haven't fully decided about knobs, but I don't really need them, volume pedal takes on that job, but I would still need a capacitor somewhere. The FT 130 is the same guitar I learned to play lead on. Bridge is adjustable, neck is nice and not too fat (problem with many acoustics) so I put electric strings on it and pressed on.

Also just got through fixing one I bought a couple of months ago. Ibanez AG 75 hollowbody. Got it at a resale shop, no hardware installed, just tuners. Some of the rest was in a box, had to order a new bridge, volume and tone knobs, washers and nuts for the pots and jack, pickup rings, finally a pair of pickups. Due to string height, the pickups I had were too weak, couldn't get them close enough no matter what, still not as loud onstage as my other guitars. Not sure how the new pickups will do yet...fun trying to fish wires and pots into a hollowbody through the pickup holes...ground wire was fun too...

Anyway, it's put together and operational again. I talked to the guy for a while, looked around a bit and told him I'd come back in a few days after payday. I didn't have the $50 he wanted, had to wait 3 or 4 days. Just before I left he handed it to me with box of some parts, and said he'd rather give it a good home than worry about the money...

So I have it back into working condition now. Here is a picture of the finished guitar with new pickups, installed those 2 or 3 days ago. Still checking it out plugged into the old 74 Fender Champ, the amp in the background is the Fender Pro Jr I just fried...as in look for another amp...When I got it, the guitar had nothing but the tuners and nut installed...
but hey, can't beat the price...