This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293378 by musicmaker6
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:03 pm
Hi all

I hate earbuds. I hate the closed-in feeling... the feeling of something directly in my ear... and not being able to hear any of the ambience of the room or the people in it. I much prefer on-ear headphones and am currently using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028 ... UTF8&psc=1

They seem to work well for what I want.. I can hear myself and the band better but still hear the room but am concerned for my hearing as a fellow musician thinks this approach is actually worse than not using anything at all because I am adding room AND band sound.

Anyone know if this might be true?
#293379 by Mordgeld
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 pm
I don't see a problem with that, especially if your system isn't feeding your monitors a custom mix. I mean, the alternative is room noise plus band noise plus floor monitor noise. In full disclosure, being a metal musician, I may have a higher tolerance for "noise".
#294238 by sean1349975
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:03 am
Even if you are just using over-ear headphones, that's still going to be better than nothing for protecting your hearing.

I do use in-ear monitors, but I also have an ambient microphone that captures some of the room when performing. Do you have a small mixer and some microphones? Or are you strictly talking just noise-reducing earmuffs?