This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#231224 by jw123
Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:42 pm
In my case hands down a Shure SM 58.

Never tryed the Beta series, but then why try to fix something thats not broken?

#231228 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:43 pm
The Beta's will cut through a loud mix a little better than the SM series. But on some voices they don't sound that good - too much exagurrated high end.
#235137 by RhythmMan-2
Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:16 pm
Different microphones will be more faithful to certain frequencies.
Some microphones are undeniably better.
I'm using a Shure PG58, and I've seen it everywhere; everyone uses them, because they're good, solid, dependable mikes.
AND . . . it's under $100, which means it's affordable.
:)
I can address the Shure PG58
I found that - for me - the Shure 58 sounds best when I cut back the bass-response on it.
For me:
Bass: cut back a tad
Midrange: middle
Treble: boosted a tad.
When it comes to adjusting your tones, a little turn of any dial can make a HUGE response.
I know a lot of people like the sound of their voice being bassy and "authorative." so to speak.
But I'm different. . . heh -heh (unlike a lot of performers), I like to be able to UNDERSTAND the lyrics.
:D
It's hard to figure out what a lot of people are singing, unless you already know the song.
I've heard a lot of performers with the mic volumes adjusted perfectly, but you still couldn't 'hear' the lyrics.
It's not a matter of volume, it's a matter of tone.
When I'm recording vocals with my sure 58, I leave the bass and midrange settings untouched, but I boost the treble by 3db; this makes the vocals more understandable, and gives your voice a much more realistic presence.
Regarding feedback; I've used it through several amps, and found that some amps are good with feedback, some amps are bad. I'm sure the same applies to microphones with different frequency responses.

#235140 by gbheil
Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:22 pm
This is where a good sound man comes in handy.
Fortunately . . . I am the sound man most of the time.
Too many irons in the fire . . .

I assume ass / u / me that the wireless versions function on the same parameters.
The Shure Digital wireless systems work flawlessly for our purposes.

If I were to invest in more / other vocal mics it would be for studio use.
#235156 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:45 pm
Different voices - different mics!

The PG58 is the cheap version of the tried-and-trusted SM58. These Shures do tend to be a little dark, and have pronounced proximity effect (the closer you get, the more boomy they are). I prefer the SM58 because it takes a little of the upper-range harshness out of my voice. At my open mics I also have a Sennheiser 835, which has a nice clear upper end, and some people prefer it.
#235161 by gbheil
Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm
Sennheiser's e609 is a stellar side address mic for guitar cabs, toms, ETC and for right around $110.00 . . .
Off topic for vocals . . . sorry . . . just had to throw that out there.
#235655 by dlbnh
Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:38 pm
Mic's are subjective but its good to understand how you want them to work for you. My band does a lot of gigs where we try to fill a room with the back line, hence the sound pressure levels are "loud" on stage. You need a mic with good off-axis feedback rejection. We have found that the Audix OM-5 have quality character and awesome EQ position naturally. And it offers excellent feedback rejection. You do have to sing close to them but what a gem it is for most applications. No bleed.
#240718 by JDbass5
Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:30 am
I got an AKG D5 for a really good deal.
I've used it on a few gigs & I really like it a lot.
I think for my voice it sounds better than a Shure SM58.
It seems to have better feedback resistance as well as it is a super-cardioid.
Last edited by JDbass5 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#240755 by gbheil
Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:29 am
We use a digital series wireless SM58 ... the 57's have better off axis rejection and less prone to feedback in a loud stage mix.
And tough as nails.
#242395 by Matiko
Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:35 pm
SM58 are just industry standards for performance miss because they can take a beating and last a long time. Quality-wise they are just OK and mediocre. If you're willing to spend a little more but not too much I believe the Audix I-5 is in your price range of 1-2 hundred. I used to use mine at every live performance we had and the sound engineer always said it sounded great... I'm sure it's because he's been listening to SM58s most of his time because that's all they had on stage for most venues. Check it out you might end up loving this mic as I did.

Re:

#245466 by Larry George
Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:25 pm
RGMixProject wrote:
Andragon wrote:So:
Beta 87A > Beta 58 > SM58
?

Beta 58 hands down for me, more rugged than the 87 and better gain before feedback.

The 87 is extremely rugged. If feedback isn't a concern (good sound tech, not a super-loud ensemble, no major issues with playing environment, etc.), this mic captures glorious tone and sounds fantastic!

Otherwise, the Beta 58 would be a great choice.
#247722 by DJ ELEGANTE
Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 am
Recently got an AKG C5 new open box at a discount (-40% !!)
Condenser mic in the studio - condenser on stage right ?
It's all that, plus it's pretty ruggedly built.
#249490 by JDbass5
Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:14 am
Yeah, the AKG D5 is a really good high quality mic.
I like it better than the SM58, at least for my voice (YMMV).
I got a really good deal on it as well!
#292658 by JDbass5
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 am
Looks like a zombie thread, but I said I would report back on the AKG D5 (late < never).
It is a very good mic for the money, when I ordered mine the place I ordered it from was out of the regular model, but sent me the one with the on/off switch for the same price - IIRC ~$80, but that may be an unusually low price (I've had it for going on 4 years).
Easily worth $100 IMO!
Very good response for my voice - I'd pick it over an SM58.
Here's a review from Amazon that impressed me:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought this mic as an additional option to the other $100 category vocal mics that I own. Namely, the Shure Beta 58 and Audix OM-2, which are also very popular vocal mics. In comparison, this mic falls in between these two. The Shure Beta 58 is the hottest of the three and has the most pronounced high mid frequencies. This also makes it more prone to feedback. The OM-2 is a very smooth and even sounding mic. More high end sizzle than the 58 and more lows as well, but less mids. So this is where the D5 fits in the mix. It has the same lows and highs as the OM-2, but just a little more high mid presence. Not as much as the 58. So in order: Audix OM2 - Very smooth/even response. AKG D5 - Smooth/ even repsonse and Shure Beta 58 - pronounced high mids. The Shure has the least amount of handling noise, while the others are a little louder but not too bad. The next mic I want to add to my arsenal is the Blue Encore 100, which I've heard is also very good. You can't go too wrong with any of these four mics, but if you are looking for subtle differences to accomodate different vocalists, hopefully this review can help you. For the price, it's worth a try.