This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#286936 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 29, 2018 1:38 pm
I know Apple lets people produce and release songs with their samples no problem

Uhh, no. Apple doesn't own the music they stream/sell. If you use samples, you need permission (or have to pay) from the original creators/writers. That is if you want to release the music commercially. If you just want to create youtubes, etc, and have your friends pat you on the head, then its no big deal.

To get on Spotify, you have to release your music through some type of service (like CDBaby or Tunecore). If you don't own it completely, then you have to register the correct writers/originators.
Pandora is worse to get on to - you must submit your previously-written music to them, and then they decide whether they want to include it or not. They are supposed to be going to an 'open' system, but haven't heard any more about it.
#287636 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:26 pm
davemus wrote:Where did you read that? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201808

They are referencing 'royalty-free loops' - this doesn't mean all their streamed music is this way, only loops that have been designated as 'royalty free'
davemus wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. My question was - what is my risk of the samples being there? However, let me clarify: I'm not only concerned about what's been mentioned already, but about possibly the songs just being seen as too derivative for using samples.

Unless your music gets actual commercial play (i.e. radio) it is unlikely to be noticed as being derivative.
#287648 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm
davemus wrote:I've written a lot of songs in GarageBand iOS, many of which people have said they've liked and thought sounded professional, however some of them contain built-in samples, and one song is almost half samples..

So what?

They are royalty free and that is their purpose. If it's a good song, I wouldn't worry about samples until someone comes to sue me. They wouldn't do that unless you made enough money for it to be worthwhile. Then you do what everyone in the history of music has done....stall and make them prove it. If they win, declare bankruptcy. In the meantime, it's free publicity. We're talking about a 10 year process now and your profile has been raised by the suit so you are booked solid for the next year.

Now, no one is going to play your song on the radio or use it for a movie or in a tv commercial. And no label wants to sign a song that will require the copyright department to spend 4 million dollars and 7 months to chase down the sample licensing....but who cares?

#287686 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:47 pm
Note that if you use a sample of certain artists' music (Neil Young and Steely Dan are examples) and then post the music on youtube, the algorithms they use may 'find' that sample and then the audio on your video will be muted/deleted.
Sometimes even cover versions of songs can have this done to them.